Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:49 AM
cobba

Default new job

Hi, I'm Curtis from Australia

I might be starting a new job on Carnival in a couple months in the Audio Visual department.

Has anyone out there worked in this field on-board and has advice on how to prepare for the experience?
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: new job

Hello,

I work as a DJ for Carnival. What would you like to know?

DJB
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: new job

Hi DJB,
What ship do you work on? How hard is it to get employment with Carnival? We have all heard how impossible it is to get hired. Need some feedback.
Thanks,
Margo
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:36 PM
curt

Default Re: Re: new job

Hey DJB,

Just interested in hours of work and is it true you are working every day.. Is there any time off in between voyages? Are you enjoying the DJ side of things?

Cheers, Curtis
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: new job

I worked on the carnival destiny and carnival paradise. I sent a resume in by mail and recieved a call just a few weeks later. I was very surprised. I was under the same impression you were.....that it's almost impossible to get a job on a cruise ship. They gave me 5 days to pack up, get all kinda of tests and physicals done and fly down to meet the ship in miami. Thats right ONLY 5 days notice. If your lucky enough to get a call don't pass it up because it may never happen again. They seem to be looking for very very experienced people. I have been DJing for a number of years doing clubs, weddings, shows and also have experience with programing and running DMX club lighting. As far as the hours you work....I worked from about 10pm - 4am every night in the club. Durning the day i worked here and there depending upon what was going on that day. As far as days off. I worked 6 1/2 months without a day off. There are passengers on the ship everyday so the club is open every night. You are the entertainment! Our ship would dock Sunday at 6 or 7am in miami. By 8 or 9am customs would clear the ship and we would be able to get off before the passengers and go to downtown miami and buy soap, cloths (whatever) or just go out and get a good meal. We always looked forward to getting into port on Sundays. Sometimes we would have coast guard inspections and wouldn't be able to get off the baot. But you get use to it. Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions. I would be glad to answer them for you!

Thanks,
DJ BRYAN
deejaybryan@comcast.net
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:24 PM
DJ Bob Douglas

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: new job

Bryan,
I too used to work for Carnival as a DJ. Back in the "old" days, us DJs also worked trapshooting (on sea days, natch!). Now, I'm making a living on land doing company functions, private parties and wedding receptions. I'm also hosting cruise chat here every Wednesday night, 10-11 PM Eastern. Drop in sometime...

DJ Bob Douglas
CruiseMates Chat Host
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Passenger

to deejaybryan,
i am cruise man and i am intrested in getting a job abord a carnival ship. i want to be in the area of docking ropes and anchors. it's a little out of the field of what you do but can you please tell me what to do and where to call.

thank you........cruise man
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:43 AM
rizwan

hi....
im rizwan,,,,,,,,i'm interested in getting job abird at carnival ship,,,,,,,,,,,,,i want to be acrewat this ship,,,any job...as a crew member,,,i would like to know,,,what i,m suppose to do,,,,can you please tell me where im must call....
pleaser email me back as fast as u cant..
bye......