Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Kasey

Default Got a job on Carnival Cruise line

Any advice whatsoever about working on a Carnival Cruise line, I will be working on the Pride and the Conquest as a Administrative Coordinator. I am so excited but i want to know what to expect!!
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2003, 10:16 AM
guinness

Default Re: Got a job on Carnival Cruise line

Hi Kasey,
I worked for carnival on and off for about five years and i can tell you, you will have a blast, they are a great company to work for and after one contract trust me you will be hooked, it becomes very addictive. So have fun and enjoy.
Guinness
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Kasey

Default Re: Re: Got a job on Carnival Cruise line

This is so cool. I will actually be working on the Conquest starting march 7 every week. It sounds so great. Thanks.
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Re: Got a job on Carnival Cruise line

Kasey...

I have worked for 3 different cruise lines and on 5 different ships. I believe Carnival must be a great company to work for among cruise lines because they have a high employee retention rate. Many of the Carnival staffers I have met have been with the company for many years.

The main thing is to go with the attitude that you are there to work primarily and to have fun secondly. That is the one mistake new people usually make. The cruise lines expect you to have fun on your time off, but they do not accept excuses for not doing your job.

I'm not sure what an administrative coordinator does, but is sounds like you will be in the back office at the purser's desk. Buy the correct shoes to match your uniform. Get a comfortable watch you can wear all day. Pack an alarm clock (battery operated is best). Brush up on your computer skills.

Do not be too worried about making friends or fitting in right away. The people on ships are as diversified as they are in daily life. You won't like everyone and vice versa, but you should make a few close friends and have company during your travels.

The only downside to cruise jobs is the following - they are usually not too good at telling you everything you need to know because they don't remember what it is like to know nothing about ships. Ask questions and if you don't get the answers you need then ask someone else. You might find some people with an attitude, don't get upset, just move on to someone else. The vast majority of people are very nice, but getting at odds with someone in such tight quarters can be uncomfortable.

Show up on time, stay out of arguments, don't steal anyone's boyfriend.

Other than that - just take it a day at a time. Good luck.

Old December 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Got a job on Carnival Cruise line

Paul can do u have any info on RNs employed on ships?
Old December 26th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Sam Tenenbaum

Hi, I'm a sophomore in college and I'm interested in working in the cruise industry next summer. Can anyone suggest where I should start in terms of finding a job? Thanks!!

Sam
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:51 PM
codina

Dude , let me tell you ... It's a tone of fun.
I worked there for many contracts 'till I found my husband and got off the ship . Many times I sit back ad remember all the fun I had on bord the ship .
I made friends all over the world , I still keep in touch with them ... what can I say , it's worth it.
The downside is , that it's not a real life there , relationships are made as easy as they are breaking off , if you are married back home , you are kinda screwed , because chances are that you'll cheat on your spouse .. so it's really up to you. It's hard to be away from home all this months and than when you go home , you can't wait to go back on the ship , so it's really funny the way it works . The shiplife goes into your blood and it's hard to stay in one plce after you worked there . For exemple , many time si just want to pack up and go .. go places , see ppl etc
But bottom line I had fun for 4 years and I don't regret one thing .
Good luck
Old January 17th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Hi Kasey,

Our daughter is an officer (nurse) with the Carnival family, currently on her second CCL ship (sailing out of Florida). She started 2 years ago after many years of slaving away in hospital ICUs, ERs, etc. She loves it, but admits that some of the crew and many of the passengers can be a real pain at times.

However, she finds the job rewarding for the most part even though much of it is related to seasickness and similar minor complaints. But she's also been involved in several life-threatening situations which required real medical expertise, and it's at those times that it all becomes so worthwhile.

So if you just follow Paul's advice and keep your nose clean, I'm sure you'll never regret your choice. And don't forget what he said about theft of others' property! <S>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sunryz710 Send a message via Yahoo to sunryz710

Hello..
I've always thought I love to work on a cruise ship...
Do you think they would ever consider hiring someone in their 30s..

Also..can you make a career out of it?
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
shane l

Default Re: sailing on the conquest

i'm sailing on the conquest on april 25 and i was wondering how was it working on the ship?
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Kasey, just saw your earlier posts and so happy you made it.

We just got off the Pride Feb. 8th -- great ship. I still recall a super woman from America at the pursurs desk -- Claudia I believe, a black woman. She was great with helping me.

Have a wonderful time!!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Passenger

Morning all

I am seeking employment on a Line Cruiser and need anyone's help with information.

Please e-mail me with information.

Cheers Tania
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:26 PM
kahliasmom

I too am interested in working on a cruise ship. I am just investigating it at this time, but would appreciate any information. I have a great deal of experience working with people, waitressing, working with children and the disabled. I live in the US. Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Passenger

all the best with your new job ...... could you help us to promote our website please.
if you could put the adverb on the notice board . this webb site is all about the crewmembers.

www.crewmembersworl.com
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Pride CD to be

You will love the Pride, sailed it 4/03. I am hoping to do my college thing, and get on with Carnival as a Social Host working my way up to Cruise Director. Have fun!

INSPIRATION 4/11/04