Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Beginner

Default Do I have a shot?

Hello,

Thank you for your time. I desperately need, and would absolutely love to work and succeed on a cruise ship. But, after reading some other messages on the board, I noticed that past experience is incredibly important. I have an enormous predicament. My work experience is primarily RETAIL, and I canít imagine that is going to assist me at all. I am positive that I could perform some duties without past work experience. Such as a Cabin Steward (which is what I truly desire the most), a Bell Boy, a Deck Steward, Laundry Staff, Busboy, or even a Dish Washer. Perhaps I could get hired into a Gift Shop with my past RETAIL experience? Can somebody please enlighten me at all or advise me if I have a shot at all before I get too deep into this?

Again, thank you for your time,

Jason

P.S........ What is a Purser?
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Do I have a shot?

A purser handle the guests accounts with their sail and sign cards.
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM
lkv

I worked for Greyhound Leisure Services for 4 years...Retail Sales Manager onboard RCCL and NCL ships. The money isn't great, but the travel is priceless! Working hours depend on ship and itinerary. Greyhound is now called Starboard, based in Miami, FL (8052 NW 14th Street - 305 592 6460?) Be prepared to leave home for 8 months and share a cabin. Good luck!
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM
nightstars

Jason,

If you're from North America, chances are *really really really* slim that you'll get a job as a cabin steward, bell boy, laundry staff, dish washer type crew..etc. Those types of jobs usually go to those from "foreign/developing countries"--Perhaps on_the_water can explain it a bit further. Besides, I don't think you'll really want those types of jobs anyway. If your work experience is primarily retail, have you thought about applying at the stores and gift shops on a cruise ship? Your retail experience can be very useful in this position.

And yes you do have a shot at this. I don't have any experience in front desk, but I got a job offer from a cruise line for the Junior Assistant Purser position. Why I turned the job offer down is another story, but yes. You can get jobs with minimal experience. Show how your skills will contribute to the job.

Hope this helps somewhat.

~L.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
lkv

You could always try NCL...they have one US flagged ship already launched (Pride of Aloha) and a few more to come...crew are all U.S. citizens (a few green card holders), regardless of position (unlike other cruise lines). Again, the gift shops are your best bet, or perhaps cruise staff?
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

Jason,

If your experience is in RETAIL, you could try applying for SHOP ATTENDANT onboard a Cruise Ship. In most cruise ships, the SHOPS are owned by Concessionaires. Either you try looking for the websites of such, or you may probably try sending your Resume by email to the site of Disney Cruise Line. Disney is a very good and established company. Needless to say - a good and established company would only hire ... good and experienced / qualified people to work onboard their ships: the DISNEY MAGIC and DISNEY WONDER. As for such positions: Cabin Steward; Bellboy; etc. - you might encounter difficulties in your effort to do so for the simple reason that you do not have the experience. I've worked onboard Luxury Liners since 1990 and believe me, I should know. But, again...you never know really if a miracle comes your way, aye?! Should you have additional queries, feel free to drop me a line using the above email addie. I shall be glad to enlighten you in the best way I can. Good Luck, Mate!

THE ICEMAN
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:37 PM
jimbadaboom

Hey Jason,

I've been working on ships for 3 years as a videographer. How I broke in on ships was... I lied. I did some reading on editing systems and cameras. Made up some fake productions and a school. When it came time for the phone interview I just sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Plus I told them what they wanted to hear. As for reference checks there is not much to worry about. Shoreside HQ is so busy hiring and firing and all that business, they rarely have time to do reference checks. Just be persistent, mail your resume and cover letter one a month. And go forwhatever company calls or emails first!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

At times, GUTs pays off too, you know. The bottomline is - How determined are you really??? Its up to you ...
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Do I have a shot?

Well....

I do not recommend lying, but I do recommend persistence. Being in the right place at the right time is key. Being AVAILABLE is important. Do not say "I would like to try it for a summer" or anything like that.

I think applying to NCL as a shopkeeper on their Pride of America ship right now is a great idea. They are desperate for hard workers.

Old September 12th, 2004, 10:58 PM
K Butt

hi there,

if you want to apply to the gift shop you would have to apply to starboard cruise services which is a company based in miami, FL. I just came home from a 9 month contract with this company...i worked on board the Carnival M.S. Jubilee. I had a lot of fun but we worked incredibly long hours everyday; I can tell you that in 9 months I had only 1 complete day off! You can save a lot of money if you put mind to it though. I wouldn't suggest you apply as any other of the positions as you wouldn't get any benefits since you would be classified as crew...meaning you wouldn't be permitted into any passengers and would be restricted to crew areas only...trust me, it makes a world of a difference when you can enjoy these priviliges. as a sales associate you would be classified as "staff" and you would have just about all the priviliges a passenger has! i had absolutly no retail experience before i worked on the ship! i was a student and a flight attendant...experience is not really needed to get this job but i guess it would help. i will never go back as a sales assistant but i also don't regret doing it at the same time. itf you don't mind a lot of hard work than you'll do ok....but you will meet a lot of people and you'll have a lot of fun at the same time. i hope i have been of some assistance to you. good luck and take care.

karen
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Lisa Vides

Starboard Cruise Services
8052 N.W. 14th Street
Miami, FL 33126
Attention: Human Resources
Tel: (305) 592-6460
Fax: (305) 715-9789