Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default what to take when working on a ship

What to people take with them when they get a job on a cruise ship. I know there is not alot of room but is it worth buying things like a video camera as some of them are pretty small and it would give you spomething to look back on. So for people that have worked on a ship is there anything you would or wouldnt take if you could do it again
thanks
john
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Princess Emma

Default Re: what to take when working on a ship

I have just packed for when I go back tomorrow...I have not packed half as much clothes as I took last time! Because I didnt realize how much you work, You're in uniform 95% of the time. I have just took a few bits of nice weather clothes, a few pants, and some stuff for the gym. I have only taken a few toiletries as you can buy them in the ports such as mexico for so much cheaper.
I wouldnt buy a video camera or anything before hand, wait till you get to the ports of call because you'll get excellent bargains! and crew discount if you show your crew I.D.
I also take with me a mobile phone so I can call England when I'm in the US Ports, i can never seem to get a line out from the ship, theres like 2 lines for 900 crew....its nearly impossible!
I have also packed sentimental things, like photos, sometimes it can get hard on the ship and just to see friendly faces, even if it is just a photo...its just nice.
erm.....walkman and cd's, because the music channel is pre recorded and will play the same 15 songs for your full contract!

if I think of anything else I will let you know!!

Emma xxx
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Elizabeth M.

Default Re: what to take when working on a ship

Yes, pack your video camera and a regular camera(35mm).
Princess Emma is correct, wait until you get to the islands and buy your cameras duty free. Bring your bathing suit, some clothes,few toiletries, pictures of loved ones. Remember you can buy everything there. What ship will you be working on.? What will you be doing?I miss the good old ship days. Happy cruising and good luck!!!!!!!!