Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default TIP QUESTION FOR CREW...

Is it true that tips are pooled? So, if we give our waiter say, twice the usual tip, it doesn't matter because he doesn't get to keep it all???

Please clarify for us passengers what happens to our tips??
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: TIP QUESTION FOR CREW...

What to stop him from putting part of it in his pocket. I am sure lots of them do it.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:58 PM
kmk

He gets to keep any extra as long as you keep the prepaid tips on your shipboard card. If, you take them off, whatever you give is pooled. That being said, I am sure if done properly, there are ways to avoid pooling.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:29 AM
McCall

From what I have heard and seen any crew member seen by another crew memeber , Putting it in his pocket, will ge reported.
On my last cruise, on Princess as it happens, we tipped out waiter $150 extra and immediately after dinner we saw him in the side office turning it in and it was being noted in a book, so they could see check and see if we left on auto tipping, [we did] and he would then get it back.
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Cruisingrandma

I believe that everyone working for tips should get to keep any extra given to them by passengers. They have earned the extra tips by being a great service to the guests. i also agree that the tips should be mandatory. Not allow the guests to take some back. Some people have no idea how to tip or think its not there problem if they take the tips off later. Not fair. I am a waitress at a supper club. You would be very surprised that so many people have no idea how to tip. Act as tho they r giving the world with there $2 tip for 2 people eating a $40 bill. Well it takes all kinds of people to run the world. I hope all the cruise staff getting tips are all tipped well. They all deserve it so much. We ahve always been treated like royalty by them....
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just because you eat an expensive mean doesn't mean an expensive tip should be left. The tips should be based on service also. If I eat a $40 meal and get service that I would have gotten at a $15 meal then that really degrades my experience.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Mickeymom923

I always remove the gratuities from my bill and personally hand the tip to the waiter, cabin steward etc. I thought they appreciated getting this money right away. I'm doing the Disney Wonder in August and Voyager in December. What is the best way to tip?
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Cruisingrandma

TNixon, Of course I mean getting excellent service. If you are working for Tips thats the first thing that you understand. Quality service and Good food.... Still not a good tip is very hard to take. Our wage from the employer is so minimal that we all work for our tips. Usually the table that has us running for everything imaginable is the ones who leave such a small tip. Guess becasue I am a waitress I am a very good tipper. i understand where they are coming from and how hard they work for there tips. If there is a waitress that is not giving me good service of course she wont get the tip someone who worked hard for my tip would get. There are jsut too many people out there in the world who have no idea how much to tip.... They dont care either.... Happy cruising....
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you all for the information on tips being pooled. We too tipped our waiter a handsome amount but removed the gratuites from our bill. Now I'm pretty bummed that he didn't get that "extra amount" we gave him.

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:54 AM
bravemom

Default Re: Re: TIP QUESTION FOR CREW...

for the person traveling on the disney wonder-unless they have changed their policy since we traveled 2 years ago...there is no amount auto placed on your bill, you are provided with envelopes the day prior to the end of your trip in order to hand out tip to: steward (both disney trips great), waiter & wine steward (again both great) and head waiter of dining room (phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht...nuff said?)-they do provide a note with suggested tipping guidelines. all bar tabs have auto tips in total-i believe roomservice went without tips unless you opted to on your own.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
thickmd

So if I give leave the suggested amount of tips on my Credit Card and I want the Waiter and Room Steward to get more, they'll get all the extra money only if I do it this way?

Let me know.. I'm leaving on a 12 night cruise later this year and if my service is great I tip very well over the amount suggested. I want the person that worked hard for me to get all the extra money.

Thanks