Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:56 PM
lothar

Default Spas other than Steiner

Hello.
Does anyone know if there are any other Spa Management than Steiner and for which Cruise Lines they provide services.
I will be enlisting to work for them but I have been hearing terrible estories about agressive sales that therapist have to do.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:09 PM
on_the_water

Default Re: Spas other than Steiner

I just spent two years on ships and had many friends that were Steiners. That's what we called anyone that worked in the spas. Your right in that most of them constantly complained about being forced to really push sales. They hated that part of it. I don't know of any other company that manages spas on ship. I believe Steiner is the only one. Sorry for the bad knews.
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:51 PM
lothar

Default Re: Re: Spas other than Steiner

Thanks for the answer.
I've just found out that Judith Jackson Spas (from Connecticcut) and Ranch Farm(provides to Queen Mary) also provide spa services......but extremely limited.
Regards,
Lothar Kopatie
Brazil.
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Jangle

I'm very much interested in what you have to say. My granddaughter went for an interview and could possibly considered for employment as a massage therapist. What products would she be pushed to sell? She's 28 yrs. of age, never married, and a person with a good head on her shoulders. She would be expected to sign a 4 mo. contract and pay her own fare to England. Everything is, as presented to her, would be a cash basis, no salary, is her remuneration tips only, do you know how this works? Any information you could furnish would be so appreciated. Thank you. joan
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Jangle

I just responded and saw that it was sent to another area. I am interested in learning about massage therapists and how Steiner relates to that position. What product would she be selling. I understand that there is no salary per se and so does their remuneration come from tips? My granddaughter has applied for that position and we want to be assured that everything is on the up and up. She will have to pay for her fare to England and sign a 4 mo. contract. What are the ups and downs of this? Thank you for your response. Joan
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM
LCR

I had two contract on ships with Steiners. The training in England was great - much better than those provided by most of the other spas here in the United States. The training and exposure I received from Steiners have made me become even more confident in who I am and what I want to be in the spa industry. Although I was already a trained Massage Therapist here in New York, I still had to take classes in other body treatments. However, I would like to point out that unlike most spas on land where the therapist are forced to sell products they most times do know about, the good news with Steiners is that everyone of their theripists is thoroughly trained on the individual product. Even the dumbest of therapist (if there is any dumb therapist) with Steiners can tell you about the products they sell. Therefore, it goes without saying that all the therapist has to to is to administer the treatment and tell the client what they are going to do before they even begin the treatment. After a course of 50-80 minutes in any treatment, just the experience with the products will sell themselves. Of course the therapist gets a commission, but that is all there is to it about selling. It is absolutely not true that therapist have to do any form of pushy sales.

My only problem with the Steiners company at sea is the fact that some of the managers forget that they are working with professional adults and they (the managers) need to loosen up a lot. Just try to be like the Amanda Frances - SVP of the Operations.
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Therapist 1999-2001 (Voy/

Sorry. The heavy pushy sales is not true. Just learn your products, Apply your treatment with professionalism, Stay professional and all the sales will present itself without you having to recommend anything. I did very well with them about four or five years ago. I am now married and have no intention of going back. However, a very important thing to pay attention to is the Managers... Most of them are rude and will try to enslave you more than anything else. Never be afraid to report them directly to Amanda Frances who is the SVP for ship operation. She is in the Miami office.
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:41 PM
rara

Another spa employer - Harding Bros www.hardingspa.co.uk