Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Time will show...
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Default The Cruises are Merchant ships...

Dear "Girl at sea" nd others...I think you will love be called "Officer" But I shall to inform you and all of the community working onboard Cruises that they are vessels... Merchant Marine Vessels and they just have the Officer "exclusively" to the people in charge at the bridges and engines... Mr Mate is right. The Oxford stuff is right too but you cannot relate it to the Merchant Marine or Militaries. I used to work into a Hospital vessel and the Chief of the Doctors (who is in charge of the Medical staff Office) is just called "Chief Doctor" that's it... Sorry but the Merchant Marine world was designed by us and you just work in our environment...however all of us are just useful and necessary to keep the vessels running
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for that
Nice with a little support, I was almost giving in..
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: The Cruises are Merchant ships...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisriv
Dear "Girl at sea" nd others...I think you will love be called "Officer" But I shall to inform you and all of the community working onboard Cruises that they are vessels... Merchant Marine Vessels and they just have the Officer "exclusively" to the people in charge at the bridges and engines... Mr Mate is right. The Oxford stuff is right too but you cannot relate it to the Merchant Marine or Militaries. I used to work into a Hospital vessel and the Chief of the Doctors (who is in charge of the Medical staff Office) is just called "Chief Doctor" that's it... Sorry but the Merchant Marine world was designed by us and you just work in our environment...however all of us are just useful and necessary to keep the vessels running

OHHH MY GOD
What I'm gonna do with my life now that was the only reason I work on the ship just to be called an officer????? and now what is gonna happen with me..........
guys honestly I don't give a **** for officer they are all,or most of them all a bunch of smart ass like you two, that think they are "The king of the world" blablabla
I'm out of this topic for me a title is nothing but a title. Yes I'm a purser and happy to be one for now, after that guess what I have a life outside the ship, not like the officers. So have fun being an officer, but remember to treat well your steward or waiters, they have a a life back home some of them have degrees altough not officers per say, they are people. Remember that and enjoy the life.
Arrivederci
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Passenger

Hello Crisriv,
I must admit to your previous clarification,but you also fail to remember that that this merchant vessel is also a floating hotel.So my piont is not to classify the pursers and the others as deck or engine officers but as officers determined by the definition in the Oxford dictionary.

Just a quick question.Who are the petty officers on the cruise ship. Who are the petty officers on a Navy aircraft carrier. Then compare the jobs of them both and then you tell me.

Happy sailing

Joe
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Default OK...some answers

Dear Shipmate 222: Yes you got the point...Cruises are Merchant Vessels, floating Hotels...They have their ranks well established and separatedly according the business nature. The Petty Officers are the Bosun on deck and the Fitters at the Engine Room, they control and manage the work of the departamental crew, I mean, on deck: The lookouts, the quartermasters, the people who perform the ship hull maintenance, the operations like mooring, unmooring, tendering, anchoring, etc. Engine Room: The Fitter manage the Oilers, wipers, and Ordinary Seamans regarding all kind of job support down below. I hope my answer will satisfy your questions.

Girlatsea: You are out of control dear. I am really in doubt you work onboard the vessels, you are too rude and your vocabulary is not the proper one you used to see going out from the nice pursers and crew staff I have been dealing with. Perhaps is a good idea to report you to the forum controllers. Sorry.
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh come on Chrisriv She isn't that rude! She is just standing up for her view, and you need to give her a break because she's stuck with those crazy italian officers in Carnival I'm sure she'd lighten up a lot if she joined the big family in NCL managed by nice and handsome norwegians
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Passenger

... it seems like the guy who first posted this topic ran away as fast as he could once y'all started yapping and fighting about what is an officer and what is not... and all that because the poor thing accidentally used the wrong terminology.....

Good job folks ;~)
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Default JAJAJAJAJ

Natrlb: You are so right!! At least the guy who posted this forum is well aware of such characters. Is time to offer him an apologize.

Mr Mate: I am starting with NCL. Would be nice to share with you some impressions. Question: Are you still away from Cruises or you plan to come back... I'll join back in January....stay in touch.
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Hey Chrisriv,

Thanks for the support! I am starting with NCL as well, early january, do you know what boat you will be on????

Greets
Sofie
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess I'm the one to apologize since I started it

Chris: I don't see myself going back to the cruise ships. I had the best time of my life there, but unfortunately the salaries can't match what I get here in Norway, and I also got married (with a NCL girl of course ) so I really want to be home even if we both miss our days in the sun

But until now, the time with NCL is by far the best time I have had at sea.
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Haha MrMate,

Come on... strap up your trousers and on your knees you go.... Ata boy!

And in case you doubt my authority... I shook hands with Bill friggin Clinton today in Amsterdam, so watch it *huge grin*

Sorry, not topic related, but just in case anyone catches me with a right hand that hasnt been washed in months.... now you know where its coming from ;~)

Greetz
Sofie
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Whaooww!!!

Would love to meet him. I deeply respect his natural political talents and leadership and I can not even start to say how manny classes above this cowboy that is running the show now he is.

Are you dutch, Sofie?

Tut sins
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Passenger

, please stop cursing mrMate... I AM NOT DUTCH, i just happen to live here ~~~

I'm BELGIAN and darn proud of it too

Yeah, Clinton seems a genuinely warm person... he looks way older now and about half the size he looks on TV. He is in Holland these days for an environmental conference..

And you are so right, the Bushman just aint got it!
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hello people - I actually got a private message with a note that someone was acting out on this board, so I had to come & take a look. I really don't see a problem so I have nothing to say - except try not to swear, it isn't really allowed or required to get your point across.

Personally, I am well acquainted with officers, including Norwegians, having worked for both Royal Viking Line and NCL, in the past. I also know the Dutch having worked on HAL.

I was stage manager, and in truth I hardly ever talked to any officers. In addition, being a male I never dated any. I do know a lot of them fooled around - married on shore but with girlfriends on ships. I could tell you stories...

In any case - I used to stick to dating passengers, everytime a relationship went sour on a ship it was too excrucuating having to see that person after we broke up. Not emotionally, physically, they often wanted to kick my a** !!! no, not really, just one did.

In any case - we are NOT on the ship here, so it is not necessary for a shoppy to be deferential to an officer. We are all equal here in cyberspace, so if you don't like them, go ahead and say so. But please do try to be civil - no personal attacks, please.

You can say, "I don't like officers in general, for these reasons." but you can't say, "You are an officer, therefore you are one of those people I do not like."

Subtle but important difference. Thanks for listening, oh and..

I don't know if I like or hate officers, I never talked to them and they never talked to me. The few times I had to deal with them, I will say they treated me with respect, even when I needed discipline.

I had a cruise director call me an a**hole once. That one kind of stung.
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Paul and others!

Thanks for interesting comments. In fact, my experience is that this officer/staff/crew thing is not a problem in the everyday life onboard. It all boils down to knowing and respecting each others work field.

Of course, occasionally we all meet "idiots" in all departments and then we deal with it. Myself I have been so lucky I have only met a very few of them, the rest have been truly great people.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Passenger

hi natrlb, excuse I didn't answer your question... I will join Norwegian Dawn NYC next January 7...what about you??

Best Regards

Christian R
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Passenger

This conversation gives a new meaning to the thread title.

"Officer Positions."

Rhapsody Of The Seas 9/05, 5/06, 10/06 ROTS - Upcoming 5/6/07
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherchad
This conversation gives a new meaning to the thread title.

"Officer Positions."

The winning post of this tread!
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Passenger

You crew, staff and officers have my envy. If I were single and unencumbered, I would find a way to get a position onboard. Shoppy, CD Staff, musician, something. It seems like a great way of life, if you're not too prone to homesickness.

Old March 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Remember it's a lot of hard work too
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMate
If pursers want to be officers they should start acting like ones and not sneak away every time the matter of safety training and issues comes up!
I don't think its fair to paint every purser with the same brush.

I was a Purser on CCL for 4 years.
I worked my way up until i became 2nd purser, and i really worked hard for that.
The pursers i worked with all took safety training extremley seriously, and if we were caught chatting at muster stations, it was simple, you would not be a muster station supervisor.
Before we could even supervise a Muster station, we had to have all the relevant SOLAS training, crowd management, crisis management etc.

Just don't think its fair to stereotype every purser.

Emma
x
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purser*Emma
Just don't think its fair to stereotype every purser.

Emma
x
Of course. But I must say that more than one occasion with things like this has coloured my opinion.

But to underline my point: Pursers, Hotel managers, Chefs, Cruise Directors etc are doing a terific job with the guests. They have definately a huge deal of responsibility and a busy job. They should have officer status when it comes to public access and other "privileges".

But In my eyes they will never be officers as long as they don't have a certificate that says so.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMate
Remember it's a lot of hard work too
Yeah, so is the job I have now, but somehow, I never get to walk out of my office and find myself in the Caribbean. But, yeah, point taken. I have tremendous sympathy for the long hours and the fact that even if a passenger is being a royal *&$^%)***, you still have to smile and say, "thank you sir." That takes great self control, I'm sure. the other thing is the rarity of actual whole days off. I can see how that would wear on you.

Officers, staff and crew all have my respect.

Old November 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Officers on a ship is a completely different term then officer in a dictionary. An officer on an ocean going vessel is someone the crew looks to for guidance in emergencies. They are the ones that answer to the law when something goes wrong. I dont see and information systems manager answering to a maritime court because the computers go down. Its all about the responsibility that person takes on and a Bridage officer has the overall responsibility of guiding the ship through fair sea's, keeping a lookout for danger, and organizing releif when danger strikes.
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Familiar Face

Just a quick question for any workers past / present ..

Is there a level of snobbery on board between officers & other ranks? I am going on as a computer person (wont use the officer word!) & as such will have certain officer privillages. However if officers & crew don't mix I think I'd rather be clased as part of the hotel crew & mix with them if the officers have their heads up their own butt's?

Any opinions anyone?
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLad
However if officers & crew don't mix I think I'd rather be clased as part of the hotel crew & mix with them if the officers have their heads up their own butt's?

Any opinions anyone?
I might not be qualified to answer that question ( yet ), but from my research into this position, I don't think it's an issue for anyone besides MrMate.
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLad
Just a quick question for any workers past / present ..

Is there a level of snobbery on board between officers & other ranks? I am going on as a computer person (wont use the officer word!) & as such will have certain officer privillages. However if officers & crew don't mix I think I'd rather be clased as part of the hotel crew & mix with them if the officers have their heads up their own butt's?

Any opinions anyone?
It has nothing to do with snobbery, but rather pride of your profession. It's not a big issue onboard, and people who know me certainly knows that I'm not a person who have my nose up in the air.

In fact the snobbery is often coming from the hotel staff with a stripe or two on their shoulders (normally not senior staff) thinking they're officers but don't have a clue or interest in safety issues.

My point is that key personnel and management staff in the hotel dep very much deserve to have officer priviliges, but you're not an officer until you have a license telling that you are.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Familiar Face

This may be a silly question but as I don't know what to expect I have to ask..

Is life on board quite military style or can it be quite relaxed when not in public areas?
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't worry Jersey Lad, the daily life onboard is quite relaxed behind the scenes - nowhere near military style

Only thing I can think of that requires some sort of disipline can be the drills or, god forbid, some kind of emergency.