Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Mr Mate thats good to know.

Another silly question now...
I have been told that my basic hours are 7-12 then 3-7 but I may also have to work extra hours as & when required which is fine with me, however I have also read that the mess is only open certain hours during the day. I guess they must be open fairly long hours to allow for people working various shifts to get fed??

I know there are public areas with 24/7 food available but don't really want to have to be going there & spending my hard earn $$$'s. (Even worse with current poor dollar exchange rate).

Thanks in advance folks !
J
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLad
Thanks Mr Mate thats good to know.

Another silly question now...
I have been told that my basic hours are 7-12 then 3-7 but I may also have to work extra hours as & when required which is fine with me, however I have also read that the mess is only open certain hours during the day. I guess they must be open fairly long hours to allow for people working various shifts to get fed??

I know there are public areas with 24/7 food available but don't really want to have to be going there & spending my hard earn $$$'s. (Even worse with current poor dollar exchange rate).

Thanks in advance folks !
J
I can only speak for NCL where we had the following mess hours: breakfast 0630 - 0830 lunch 1130 - 1230 and dinner 1730-2100. That would cover most of the shifts.

If you cannot make the mess hours I guess with your officer status you can go to the burger/pizza bar or something, or if you are working special hours like in the middle of the night - I'm sure it won't be a problem to order room service. We did that all the time during my night watch on the bridge. All that was of course free of charge.

But I'm not sure how it works with Princess - maybe it's stricter there..
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks again Mr Mate all good to know.

Im still umming & arrrrhing about whether to take this job or not. As there doesnt seem to be any shipboard computer staff about on here can anyone else give any insight into the position. i.e would the IT guy get any free hours to actually see/ do anything or would it pretty much be a case of keeping your head down for six months & getting on with it? Do any return for a 2nd contract or are they burnt out after one? Seems to be a few people on here been offered the IT position so Im guessing theres a reason for there being a number of vaccancies in this area?!
Cheers folks,
J
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jerseylad

All I can say is

1, Check the archives on this forum - search for computer officer and I/S manager should turn up something.

2, Google for Carnivals I/S Manager position where about 6 of their IS managers outline their jobs. I know it´s a different line, but there should be similarities.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Familiar Face

Arion,

Cheers for the info. I've actually come across those Carnival I/S manager profiles before & they do seem fairly fair & not too biased. However I guess they are still trying to promote the position at the end of the day. Anyway, I have decided to go for it now, so maybe in a few months time I'll be able to let you all know how it goes!

Cheers,
J