Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Lakota

Default Officer positions

What kind of experience is required to be an officer? I have an MBA and interact daily with people. Is there a pay comparison at the officer level for different cruise lines? If so, can someone post it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM
experiance captain

Default Re: Officer positions

your best bet to be accepted on a cruise ship vessel would be to go to another country that has a higher payscale or cost of living.right now the cruise industry saves millions by hiring foriegners from out of the country.low wages and no unemployment benefits
are given to them.they are contracted out of their country for 6 to9 months out of each year.if they break their contract by behavior or disapline or poor work,they have to pay their way back and forfeit their rest of pay back to the cruise line.its not likely for an american to be seen working on a cruise ship?except if you were a cruise director.
the pay sucks.no american would survive on that.keep this in mind..happy trails
been there,done that!!!!!!
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Officer positions

don't listen- that's not true, sure pay is not always wonderful but you get room and board and get to travel the world and meet thousands of ppl- great experience!
If your heart is set on it then go!
There are plenty of canadians'americans, etc.. working on board! People from the third worlds are often found in the serving and hospitality departments.
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

First of all - officers are in the deck and engine dept. These are people who have years of training aimed especially for ships. Other department may have people in management or be key personnel, but in my eyes they will NEVER be officers.

Deck and engine officers have the overall responsibility of the ship - whethter it has passengers onboard or not and is not fair to us that anyone can call themselves an office just because they have a management job onboard.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to dj_smurf Send a message via Yahoo to dj_smurf

MrMate Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all - officers are in the deck and engine dept. These are people who have years of training aimed especially for ships. Other department may have people in management or be key personnel, but in my eyes they will NEVER be officers.

Deck and engine officers have the overall responsibility of the ship - whethter it has passengers onboard or not and is not fair to us that anyone can call themselves an office just because they have a management job onboard.

Im not really sure how u can say that, and i really hop u get a chance to read this. granted i dont know what u do on a ship but ya those guys keep the ship going from point a to point b, so take all you other officers off the ship that are not related to deck and engine dept. and lets see how well that trip goes with 3,600+ guest abord the ship. Think before you write things im sure u dont interact with many guest or it would be very easy 4 you to see the point of my message.
Old October 7th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't say hotel crew are not important onboard, they are very important but its a difference between management and officers.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Passenger

Old November 26th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

If pursers want to be officers they should start acting like ones and not sneak away every time the matter of safety training and issues comes up!
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Passenger

.lll
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been safety officer for three years and I just remember correcting pursers chatting away at their muster stations.

If you're an officer, where did you take your IMO 80 advanced safety training, where did you take your advanced medical training and how often are you supposed to launch the lifeboats according to SOLAS?

Don't get me wrong:
-I think pursers and other hotel management is very important and mostly nice people.

- I think they should have the same privileges as officers

- But using the correct meaning of a title they are not officers pr definition.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Yeah yeah
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlatsea
Yeah yeah as all of the deck officers, you think you are better than the others, so typical.
I read that you worked for NCL maybe there is different, so go ahead and fight with the dictionaries start by Oxford because its definitian of a purser is exactly as it is on CCL.
And good choise of leaving the cruise ships as without guests there are no cruise and guess who take cares of them!!!
I have more things to do than chat argue with a person like you.....
Adios
Aaahh youre just a purser... You have plenty of time
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Out of curiosidy MrMate do you consider the person in charge of Computer/Information Systems to be an Officer?

On one hand, they have overall responsability for every computer on the ship - whether it has passengers onboard or not.

On the other hand, they could have had all their experience and training in/for land-based jobs, with little or no more ship-specific training than pursers.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion
Out of curiosidy MrMate do you consider the person in charge of Computer/Information Systems to be an Officer?

On one hand, they have overall responsability for every computer on the ship - whether it has passengers onboard or not.

On the other hand, they could have had all their experience and training in/for land-based jobs, with little or no more ship-specific training than pursers.
As I said earlier. The only real officers on a ship are deck and engine officers. But a systems manager should have officer status as he is in a management position.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMate
As I said earlier. The only real officers on a ship are deck and engine officers. But a systems manager should have officer status as he is in a management position.
Interesting.

I'd have thought that they'd be "Real Officers", on the basis that they maintain the ships computer systems, including those on the Bridge.

Where as the hotel managers, etc have no input nito ship operations, the IT Administrator still has to maintain bridge systems, etc.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Hi Arion,
I agree with but as "our friend" Mr. Mate is damm stubborn and thinks the only real officer are just himself and the captain, so I got tired and stopped arguing, let he be happy and live in his own world hahah
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Passenger

I am sorry,but I will have to make one more comment to that.Please someone,pick up the oxford english dictionary and look up the word officer. It clearly states the meaning as a holder of an office. There are different types of officers. They can be found in different aspects of our daily lives.Have you ever heard of Police officer or environmental officer (not the ones on ships) or Chief Medical Officer. Check below just to name a few.

Military

Officer (armed forces)

Chief Petty Officer
Commanding officer
Company officer
Direct Commission Officer
Engineer Officer
Exchange officer
Executive officer
Field officer
Flag Officer
Flying Officer
Limited Duty Officer

Corporate

Chief Data Officer
Chief executive officer
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Information Officer
Chief Legal Officer and or chief learning officer
Chief Knowledge Officer
Chief Marketing Officer
Chief Networking Officer
Chief operating officer
chief technology officer
Chief Process Officer
Chief Risk Officer
Chief technical officer
Executive officer

Law enforcement

Customs officer · Peace officer · Police officer · Prison officer · Probation officer · Parole officer

Politics and government

Chief medical officer · Political commissar · Presiding Officer · Returning Officer

So just to conclud,Yes everyone who holds or mands an office onboard is actually an officer per term (even the Pursers). So we can say onboard you have the Deck officers,Engine officers and Hotel officers. Agree?

I did not create the word,Oxford did.

Happy sailing all

Joe.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Correction. I meant I did not DEFINE the word Oxford did.

Happy Sailing

Joe.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Thank you
Gracias
Merci
Obrigada
Grazie
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Of all the ships I have been on the bridge systems such as radars, gps, radios etc have been maintained by elctricians, who are engine officers, or service people from shoreside representing that certain brand of equipment if the problems are more serious.

When it comes to the definition of officers in the military I have no knowledge about that, only who is officers and not onboard a ship.

To giratsea's disappointment this is not a big deal to me, I just think it's interesting to see the reactions of my point of view. I'm repeating what I've said earlier, but not seem to go through: Even If the mentioned crew is not "real officers in the right term, they are certainly having enough responsibility to deserve officer status and privileges. But being an officer at sea is something you become after a specific education and a specific set of safety and medical courses and most of all after years at sea.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Passenger

disapointment????
well I don't really care what you think so whatever....
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Were you two ( girlatsea and MrMate ) an romanticly involved with each other at one stage perchance?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

It depends... Has she been with NCL before?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Ohh no
I've never worked on NCL and would absolutely never go out with a bridge officer I'm not his level I'm just crew
hahahah
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, since I'm the man and all, I wouldn't mind dating a pursergirlie. If you're pretty of course

And of course all girls, independent of rank, are dying to go out with a handsome norwegian
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Passenger

Ohh God so typical......
Let me guess you are married and have at least two kids........ohh I knew it like all all all officers italians,croatian,norwegian blablabla
And by the way thank you I appreacited but I'll pass........
Next one in line, please
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hmmm.. I think you are having too much experiences with those Carnival Italians. You should treat yourself with some real norwegian quality
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Once again thank you for the offer......
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

My pleasure
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMate
My pleasure
pleasure - great word that. Are you refering to sexual pleasure, or that other kind?