Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Tiger

Default finance staff on board - is this the norm?

I was suprised to find when browsing the p&o website that they are recruiting for a finance manager on board there ships. I was always under the impression that the accountants and finance managers would be land based.

Is this type of position often found on all cruise lines?
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:10 AM
lkv

Default Re: finance staff on board - is this the norm?

What is their description of 'finance manager'? Sounds like something equivalent to a Chief Purser position with other companies. Different cruise lines use different titles for the same position.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Tiger

some of the duties include providing daily expenditure reports, variance reports to budgets, preparation of budgets
and preperation of monthly on board accounts.

what do the pursers job include?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
lkv

The Chief Purser is responsible for all money onboard the vessel (including end-of-voyage balancing with concessionaires)...also, he/she clears the ship in/out of all ports of call. I guess it all depends on the ship and the cruise line.
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:42 AM
ILuvCruisin

Boy. this sounds interesting. I luv Cruisin (duh) and I'm an accountant. Sounds like the perfect JOB for me. who has more info?
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:49 PM
First Mate

Perfect job for me too.
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

FINANCE OFFICER - may mean Chief Purser or probably Purser for FINANCE (which is the equivalent to the 1st PURSER). Of course, it depends on the Cruise Line. Different strokes for different folks. In the past, I was a Night Auditor and the I was directly under the 1st Purser. Anyway, I do hope you guys make it in. GOOD LUCK !!!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
ILuvCrusin

Foodstorekeeper:
Can you tell us what duties each of the positions you named include?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

ILuvCruisin,

You may check out "TIGER's" posting above, dated 20 August. As for my former position as NIGHT AUDITOR in 2 ships...basically, I audit or go thru all the expenditures (receipts) incurred by all Guests (Passengers) and Ship Officers / Managers of the ship. So, if there are 2,500 Guests for that particular Cruise and they would average 5 receipts per Guest...then probably you shall have a fair idea of how many receipts I do have to go through every single night. Also, normally, Night Auditors work from 10 PM to 8AM the next morning. I also assist the other Pursers in dealing with various forms of complaints from the Guests. Don't worry, regardless of what position you shall be in ... its never a dull moment for the entire duration of your contract. So, pray that they give you only a 6 month contract and not a 10 month contract. In summary, working onboard Cruise Ships can be HELL for the weaklings... and manageable for the WISE. So, now ask yourself ... under which category do I belong to? Think it over wisely, Mate...

Good Luck !!!