Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:40 AM
PAULY

Default DJ on a cruise ship question

has anyone ever done this job? whats it like, what are the hours? do u have to do a second job during the day or is that ur free time?

thanks in advance for ur help
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper
Default Re: DJ on a cruise ship question

A DJ onboard Cruise Ships normally doubles up in various capacities during the daytime. You may be required to help out during land tours / excursions and other shore activities or assist in the shipboard activities; etc. Dj's working hours oftentimes are broken bits here, broken bits there. I hope I've been of any help to you...

THE ICEMAN
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
PAUL_B

Thanks ICEMAN. thats exactly what i wanted to know.
also, do u know if the DJ is considered an officer and which wage catergory would a DJ fit into.

ps: is your nick ICEMAN taken from th emovie TOP GUN... if so, its a great handle. love the movie! love
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: DJ on a cruise ship question

Paul B.,

Its a nickname normally given to me onboard the Cruise Ship. 70% of my work requires me to work inside freezers and chillers. I do stocktakes inside the Meat; Fish; Icecream; Frozen Veg / Fruit Freezers and the other chillers in the Provisions Area. At times, I spend 3 - 4 hours at any given day inside the different freezers. If I'm lucky, I get to take a 45 minute - 1 hour nap inside the Meat Freezer. No worries, its just normally -25C so I can hack it really. I tried taking a nap inside the Fresh Veg / Fruit Chiller, but had to leave after 10 minutes coz it wasn't called enough for me. This normally happens to guys like me when you've worked too long on ships (since 1990). You may end up psychologically impaired like me if you're not careful ... hahahaha !!!!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:06 AM
Admiral

man how do u hack it. that sounds horrible. no offence. but all day in a fridge. unless theres free beer and naked girls in it, i couldnt hack it.

i presume u get a great pay packet though.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Hi, Paul! After 14 years on ships...and inside Deep Freezers, one gets used to it. For a Filipino bloke and an asian at that, its pretty weird, I reckon. But then again, I just love the freezing cold. Summers in the Philippines can really be HOT and HUMID. That is why I prefer the working environment onboard the Cruise Ship, in terms of temperature. The pay isn't that much really coz I only got paid - 1,500 euros (GROSS) per month. There was a time I was getting 2,800 USD/month as Night Auditor way back 1996 -1998. So, the 1,500 euros / month isn't a big deal really.
Old September 4th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Admiral

hey iceman,

well as long as u love. thats the main thing.

i got 3 interviews in the next months. celebrity, & RCCL and disney. for a position as DJ/crew staff.

a friend warned me that the best part of cruise ship life is the partys in the crew bar. but if your a dj, you miss out on nearly all of them as ur in the club every night djing. do u know if this is true, because if it is, i dont think i want to apply for that and maybe just apply for a position as strictly crew staff.

any suggestions, do u know if the thing about djs missing partys is true, and also which crusie company is the most fun, fairest & /best pay packet to work for?
Old September 4th, 2004, 12:46 PM
SSH23

Well the discos are usually open every night, pretty late, so I would imagine you'd miss some of the night life below deck.

Do you mean cruise staff? You could also try to get on as a Host or member of the Cruise director's staff.

-Brian
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Passenger

SSH23's right, you know. If you're after the fun of the Crew Parties...then you'll have to forget the DJ position. Crew Parties usually finish around 02.00AM and the Disco Outlet for Guests may get to extend till 03.00-04.00AM. That is why oftentimes you'd get to miss out on them. My advice - think it over, Mate.

THE ICEMAN
Old September 4th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Admiral

yeah, stuff the DJ thing. i wanna have fun as well. im gonna take requst the cruise staff position.

thank you so much for all your advice.

i will post on here which ever liner i get posted on and maybe i might bump into a few of you. cheers

Paul
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:55 PM
SSH23

So my knowing this and not beign a crew member is a good sign that I can take ship life?

Funny moment on our last cruise (last month) my father and I wore Tuxedos, but this was NCL. I think we and the officers were the only people who were out later at night (after the 530pm dinner people) dressed up. A young couple (30-40 or so) walks up to me and the man asks "SIr, where's your karaoke tonight?" Not that I mined answering, I was taken aghast a bit, as I figured out why they were asking me. Not that I minded, I always try to help people out, but I was figuring it out. I thought, oh maybe I just looked like I knew where I was going, but they wouldn't have said "your". He said "You don't know?" I said "Oh no, I do, Observatory Lounge, Deck 12, Forward."

On that cruise I got to ask the Asst. Systems Manager some questions about his job... since that's the position I'm considering. It was a great opportunity.

-Brian