Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Default MEDICAL EXAM QUESTION

hey i was wondering, after taking the medical exam, what would you need to have for them to not let you on board?

is it considered discrimanation if they dont let you on once they discover you have HIV or HERPES?

lets make something very clear, i dont have either. im just wondering. cause a friend has is examination the other day and they did everything like, checking genitals and protate.

so my question is this.... what would u need to have that wouldnt qualify you to work?

cheers

Paul
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: MEDICAL EXAM QUESTION

Also, i have 3 interviews coming up. DISNEY, CARNIVAL and RCCL.

what should i expect. what sort of questions do they ask? and what knowledge do they expect me to know...

tips from people the past these interviews and made it onto the ship would be great

thanks
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM
SSH23

I'm not and have never been a crew member, in fact I'm probably not even old enough.

But, just curious, what position are you applying for?

-Brian
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Im going for a cruise staff and dj position
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:43 PM
SSH23

Best of luck to you!

-Brian
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Gabriel

Be thankful you're getting a complete physical exam out of it, whether you get the job or not.
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Admiral

if u dont get the job, i have to pay US$300 for it. if i do, the reinburse. ill pass on having to pay that much money .
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Gabriel

Default Re: Re: MEDICAL EXAM QUESTION

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

I can understand why the cruise lines want their employees to be free of communicable diseases. But your situation doesn't sound quite right to me.

Maybe they''ll allow you to provide some sort of affadavit from your own doctor, rather than having to submit to their doctors. It might be worth inquiring about that possibility.
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

If the shipping company requires you to undergo medical exam chosen by them ... there's really a logical reason behind it, don't you think so? I worked for Disney Cruise Line for 5 contracts. Before you get hired by them, you'll have to pass thru the hole of a needle. When I applied for Disney, we were 57 applicants vying for the same position and they only had one available position. I went thru 4 interviews, 4 written examinations and a very thorough med exam. The process lasted for 3 weeks. The final interview was having to sit across 3 Disney Cruise Line officials and answering all their questions, like I was defending my thesis. If you get hired, you may consider yourself to be part of the elite or CREAM OF THE CROP. Please note that the med exam was all physical, psychological and mental. In other words, you will have to go thru their required type of medical examination ... Disney way.
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Admiral

wow, thats whos hiring me.

i past the first 2 interviews and was basically told im a shu in. i was told i had a medical interview to undergo and a background check and as long they were finei was in.

dam u went through a lot!!!

thanks for the tip

Paul
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Admiral

by the way foodstorekeeper,

can you tell me something about disney.

is it true that they are on of the best cruise lines to work for.

ive heard a few mixed stories, but generally 90% of people has told me that living quaters and crew areas are fantastic aboard disney liners and even the pay is little better.

is this true?
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:37 PM
SSH23

Foodstorekeeper, can you tell me about IT jobs on Disney?
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Passenger

PaulB,

Like what I said, Disney Cruise Line is a very good and established company. They give out better pay than most. Of course, depending on the position. Normally, there are 2 Crew in a cabin. Each cabin has a personal refrigerator for the Crew's use; a TV with built in VHS tape player / recorder. The food is good coz they have asian cooks for Asian Crew; European cooks for European Crew; etc. Promotions are based on the Crew's performance or by Merit and not by "WHO YOUR FRIENDS ARE". Usually, contracts are for 6 months (except for the Master / Captain). Vacations are usually for 2 months. You can purchase alcohol / spirits in the Crew Bar or Crew Shop. You are allowed to drink the alcohol / spirits only either in the Crew Bar or in your Cabin. Paul, believe me ... if you make it inside DISNEY, you're going to like it. BUT, don't expect that your life onboard any Cruise Ship is same as like a GUEST / PASSENGER. Afterall, you're there for the work. Crew Parties are oftenly held onboard any of the 2 Disney Ships. Also, Disney is very strict with onboard regulations. If you don't know how to handle your personal intake of alcohol / spirits ... then, don't drink. Also, sexual harassment onboard is considered a MORTAL SIN. So, be extra careful with your comments or advances, ya hear?

SSH23,

The 2 Disney ships indeed have IT's onboard. Unfortunately, I have very liitle knowledge on them. One thing I'm sure ... you have to be the best in this field to make it in. If you consider yourself to be one ... then, go for it!!! Good luck, Mate! Should you have additional queries, please feel free to drop me a line at the following email addies:
cruisestorekeeper@hotmail OR cybertouchdown@yahoo.com

Cheers !!!

THE ICEMAN
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Admiral

iceman, thanks agian.

wonderfull infiormation. ur a credit to this website.
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Paul,

No woriies, Mate. Glad to be of assistance to everyone. Of course, whatever I advice or suggest - are merely to guide or enlighten all who are interested in working onboard Cruise Ships. The final decision to do so shall always be for the reader to make.

THE ICEMAN
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Chriss

What? Checking genitals?! Are you sure about that?
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Admiral

100% positive mate... hey did the ol grab the balls and cough test and a prostate test with a finger in the bumb hole.... not pretty!!!

but they did it. it was for RCCL. he is currently on the zenith working as cruise staff.
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:19 PM
SSH23

Well, on the bright side, suppose they discovered a medical condition that might save his life if detected early? He'd be glad they did then.

Thanks for the tips, ICEMAN. You really are a great asset to this site, I think I'll drop you a mail later and ask some more questions. I really would like to find out about the salaries these guys make....

I know for other lines all you need is an Associate's Degree in college. As of now, well, I'm just a freshman (1st year) in high school. I'm going to a vocational technical career academy focused on pre-engineering, math, and technology, so that should help a bit. I plan to go on to a good college (UPENN, maybe) and get a degree in Computer Science or Systems Management.

Thanks again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to check the boards here because I was busy with school starting up again.

-Brian
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Passenger

As long as both your NUTTS are in good "WORKING ORDER", there's nothin' to fear really. Actually, its just one of the pre-requisites of the Medical Exam we all have to go thru. If you plan to join Disney Cruise Line ... you'll have to go thru a VERY THOROUGH medical examination. I mean really thorough ... like, ALL THE WORKS. It may take you 3 to 4 hours ... if you're lucky. Afterall, there's the medical ... psychological ... dental ... and others. Its similar to the so-called "EXECUTIVE CHECK-UP". Boy, you're gonna have a blast going thru their requirements. hahahaha!!!!
Old September 19th, 2004, 01:53 AM
SSH23

So Disney sends every employee through this very through and probably very costly examinaiton, not just upper ranks? Seems odd that they would care that much.

-Brian
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Brian,

Disney Cruise Line spends a fortune just to make sure that their Crew are cared for and even before boarding their ships...
Old September 19th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Admiral

you onlyt take the medical once u have past the interview, ,but before your posted on a ship. dinesy pay upto a certian amount ( works out to about half) and the individual pays the rest. ist approx AUS$300 for a full medical.

its worth it i guess. at least i know im going onto a boat with no drug users and no one with infectable diseases.
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Yeoman

A crew member on the QE2 told me that because there are so many gays on the ship when you return from vacation you must be tested for hiv.and aids. If you are infected your contract will not be renewed.
Old September 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
PAUL_B

that sounds like a legal claim to me. discrimanation agiants peopke with HIV/AIDS is illegal.
Old September 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Passenger

Not really. Disney Cruise Line is very strict about the Guests' and Crew's safety and welfare. Take it from me, Mate. I've worked 5 contracts for Disney Cruise Line and I agree with their policy. Not to mention the various seminars that the Crew have to undergo regarding Sanitation, etc. Once you make it onboard, you'll learn all these firsthand. One becomes wiser, even before your first contract is over.
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Most everyone has missed the point with these extensive medical exams.

Yes, the cruise lines want to ensure that you do not have a communicable disease that might contaminate passengers and crew.

Yes, the cruise lines want to ensure that you are basically fit and able to do your job - which includes safety duties where others must rely on your fitness.

But the biggest issue for the cruise lines is health insurance. Most cruise lines are self-insured. Crewmembers who are sick or injured on cruise ships receive free medical attention at cruise line expense. It is not unheard of for crewmembers to try to hide illnesses until they are hired and onboard, and then request the medical treatment that they could not or would not afford at home.
The cruise lines are trying to protect themselves from seriously ill people who are trying to get the job to avoid paying for very expensive medical care.
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Admiral

good call bruce...

fair enought. i got nuffin agianst it anyway.

im fit and healthy!

so bring it on. and its kind of good to know that everyone im working withh is in the same boat (mind the lame pun) when it comes to health
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BigD Send a message via MSN to BigD Send a message via Yahoo to BigD

hi paul i would like some information about getting a job working for a cruise line can you please tell me who i can contact are any information you can give me would be great.
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:57 PM
EnvE

Paul B,

you said you are applying as a DJ or cruise staff, how much experiance do you have DJing? and how old are you?

thanks

and BigD this site has most of the contact information for cruise line employment http://www.geocities.com/chrisrotlmacin/shiplink.html
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Admiral

i have 12 years experince as a dj, having worked at most major clubs throughout australia. ive also toured as a dj to 5 countries/continents. ive also dj at a4 differnt 5star hotels around the world.

as for cruise staff, ive was the official mc and host for pepsi australia. i traveled around with the pepsi trucks (massive sound systems & skateboarding team) and mced. i also had to make up games and involve the crowd in competitions.

ive also been a MC for concerts, hyping up audiences for a number a years.

my experince walked me through the first 2 interviews.

ive been told im a shue in and just a few more formalities to go... but who knows!

hehehe

anyway, i let you know how the final interview with disney goes and even post the questions they asked me on here so you can prepare if u ever get a interview.

cheers
Paul