Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Tim_V

Default easier cruise line jobs

hello cruisemates,

i was wondering what are cruiselines would accept younger applicants (18 yo.) with limited experience in the retail industry.

are there many cruiselines that accept 18 year olds?

i have also gained a diploma in fisheries compliance, with training for vessel operations, although i dont think this would help much.

also if there are positions for people with limited experiance what would they be?

thanks in advance,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper
Default Re: easier cruise line jobs

Tim V,

If ever you're 18 years old, indeed it going to be difficult for you to get a job onboard a Cruise Ship. I've been working on Cruise Ships since 1990. The youngest crewmember that I've met was 20 yrs old. But, a very young male applicant with very limited experience ... if ever you make it in, you might end up taking the lowest positions onboard - Galley Utility ; Housekeeping Utility / Steward; etc. Needless to say, these positions can be very difficult and exhausting. Bear in mind, normal working hours would be 12 - 16 hrs / day ... and its 7 days a week. But, if there's any consolation ... promotion is fast onboard coz promotion is based on merit (performance) and rarely by "who you know". Also, if you're really determined or bent on achieving your goals, then I see no reason why you can't succeed. Good Luck, Mate!
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:16 PM
SSH23

Default Re: easier cruise line jobs

Foodstore and others are real experts... but we had a busboy when we sailed on a Celebrity ship who was EXCELLENT. It was his very first voyage and he was just 17. He said that they said you needed to be 18, but he got on. He made up for our crappy waiter.
2 years later we cruised Celebrity again and talked to someone who was friends with him and found out that he had advanced not only to Waiter, but to the Chief Waiter- the only one who was certified to serve the officers.

Good Luck!

What country are you from, Tim? Maybe you could get a two year degree in Computer Systems and go on as a Systems Manager?