CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crewmembers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/)
-   -   Starboard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/274924-starboard.html)

Ant October 17th, 2004 02:44 PM

Starboard

Hi,This is my first posting so hope everyone's well. This message board really is a delight. Im off to work for Starboard Cruise Services next year and was wondering whether there's any present/past employees here? If so, help! Im pretty nervous about starting! A couple of questions:--

1..How easy is it for career advancement with Starboard?
2...Is it easy fitting in with the staff being a newboy and everything?
3....What about sea-sickeness? Having never been on a cruise before, is sea-sickness a regular thing?

Thanks everybody!

Ant

Lakelandguy October 17th, 2004 04:51 PM

Re: Starboard

Hi Ant

I know someone on here that did work for Straboard. Her name is Karen Butt, she's from Newfounland, Canada.

To find her e-mail link. Go down the 1st page to a post that is entilted "Do I have a shot?" from WANNABECRUISER. Then click on that post and go down about 9 responses and you will see her response and an e-mail link... "K.Butt." She is very nice and very helpful!

Would you tell me Ant, 2 things: #!.) Do you have a lot of retail experience? and #2.) What country are you from? The reason that I ask is....I am an American with no retail experience, but jut recently applied to Starboard.

Congardulations!

Lakelandguy (aka Jim)

Ant October 18th, 2004 06:10 AM

Re: Re: Starboard

Hi Jim, I'm from Britain/UK and I have pretty much absolutely no retail experience (apart from a small stint In a Mcdonalds!). They honestly didnt seem that intrested in the retail side of things - as long as I seemed friendly and approahcable! Thanks, ant

Neil Maxwell-Keys October 29th, 2004 08:06 AM

Re: Starboard

Alright Ant,

I think I replied to another post of yours before ref: Starboard. I'm getting a bit carried away on this board - I think I might need to get a life!

Anyway, I worked for Starboard (see previous post) for a few years. So I'll answer your questions as best I can:

1..How easy is it for career advancement with Starboard?

From personally working alongside the HR Department and DM's (District Managers) of Starboard, I can categorically state that almost all of them begin their careers as a lowly "shoppie". Even one of the Presidents of the company once worked in the onboard giftshops! I think that says it all. Just work hard, show enthusiasm and committment and you can go far in this company.

2...Is it easy fitting in with the staff being a newboy and everything?

Yes! We were all newbies once. Infact, when you've been on the ship for a while you generally look forward to new people coming onboard. It's great to see fresh faces! You'll be made to feel welcome as long as you're also doing your bit to fit in too. Hopefully you'll have a good cabin mate who'll take you around for the first few weeks, introduce you to people, show you round the ship and ports.

3....What about sea-sickeness? Having never been on a cruise before, is sea-sickness a regular thing?

I'd never even SEEN a cruise ship before I worked on one. Sure, you'll feel the boat moving for the first week or so. But after a while you won't even know when it's moving! In fact we used to have to go and physically look out of the window to check whether or not we'd left port so we could open up shop! Occassionally you'll hit particularly rough water (hurricanes, etc) but in general sea sickness is rarely a problem with crew. Besides you're working in the right department if you do get sea sick, They sell dramomine, wristbands...!

Hope this helps,

Neil Maxwell-Keys
http://www.getacruiseshipjob.com

Ant October 29th, 2004 09:45 AM

Re: Re: Starboard

Thanks loads Neil! Made things a little easier to digest; especially regarding the sea-sickness! Much obliged.

Ant