Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Default Starboard / Greyhound shops!

Hey,

I'm new to these forums, having just come across them. I've been seraching online for months on practical places to get information on cruise ship jobs, and this has been the best spot so far.

I'm applying for a job with Starboard Cruise services next week. I'm preparing my resume / application at the moment. I don't know anyone who has ever worked on ship before, so I only have what i've read online to go on.

Has anyone ever worked for this company before? I have lots of questions... What are they looking for in an ideal employee? What are the interviews like? What is life on board the ship like? How are the shops and what do your daily duties consist of? What products did you sell? Do you get to go into the ports often? How is the pay and compensation? And when is the best time to start applying if you want to start work in April / May of this year? How easy is it to get one of these positions?

If there is anyone out there who has worked for Starboard Cruise Shops (formerly Greyhound), I would really like to hear of your experiences.

About me: I'm a 21 year old male from Nova Scotia, Canada. I have a strong background in retial sales (3 years) selling fashion, cosmetics, fragrances, and jewelry. I'm a marketing student in university, graduating this april. I have passion for retail and a love of travel, so this seems like an ideal job for me.

Thanks!

Danny Pastuck.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Starboard / Greyhound shops!

HI Danny- their is a Canadian hiring partner for Starboard Cruises located in Toronto, Ontario and the name is Cruise Services International. They hold phone interviews and then live interviews. They were actually just in Halifax. Look the name up on a search engine and then stufy the website and all the positions. their are tips for your resume and then you just send them your resume. yuo can call them to inquire for more info. hope this helps.

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Neil Maxwell-Keys

Default Re: Starboard / Greyhound shops!

Hey Danny,

I used to work for Starboard/Greyhound myself - for several years! And my company MK Cruise Ship Recruitment were their main hiring partners for the UK and Europe. I know the HR Managers and DM's very well!

I could write a book about my experiences onboard and with Starboard (in fact I have!) but i don't have the time here to answer all your questions.

However, I will say that for your first job on a cruise ship - you wouldn't go too far wrong working for them. They're a decent company to work for and in general while not being the best paid position, if you're looking for a good time with lots of free time in port, then the giftshops is a great department to work in. Go for it!

By the way, if you're interested, I have a copy of the actual interview questions that Starboard will ask you!

Best of luck.

Neil Maxwell-Keys
http://www.getacruiseshipjob.com