Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM
lynda

Default dancer question

i need research for my school work and a friend said i could get the answer here....

our assignment was to research our ideal jobs mine is a dancer or ent host on a cruise ship and i was wondering what it is like doing those jobs and what things you actually do on a daily basis and what training you need. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: dancer question

For dancers you must audition first and it is tough. You will need a good deal of professional training in order to pass. Working conditions for dancers is tough as you are usually on a years contract, the longest of any crew, simply because you will have to learn the routines of the production show. Your duties will consist of not only dancing but running bingo, helping the other staff with the daily entertainment, etc.
For the entertainment staff as a social host you will again audition after sending in your resume and the line hires you directly. You will then become a social host and undergo training or basically an apprenticeship where you will work very long hours and will always have to be 'up' and smiling. Your contract is usually 6 months long and it is tough work.
Jim

Old November 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM
suzfl

I have another view

Each cruise line will be a bit different . . . The line I work for . . . Dancers and singers are on a 6 month contract (usually, but the itinerary, drydock or holidays may make it shorter or longer). There is a rehearsal period that can last anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks depending on the shows.

Once on board - There's always a welcome and farewell show, the 2 or 3 production shows. RCCL has just started "classes", where the peformers will teach a few classes during the week. Also, on this line, there is NO bingo or social host type activites.

If you want to research on the web some more - here's some sites for you - you can find some of your answers (like what kind of training, what is shipboard life like, etc) if you dig around

http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com - this site has a TON of info on the entertainement side

http://modena.intergate.ca/business/jobship/rccl/ - this is RCCL's Candian hiring parter (a contractor that 'prescreens' prospective new crewmembers and helps them to get to their first ship if hired). Has job descriptions and requirements

http://cruises.about.com/od/cruisejobs/ - about.com's collection of links on getting a job

http://www.stilettoentertainment.com...ent/index.html
This is Holland America - good life at sea section

http://www.jeanannryanproductions.com
She casts for NCL - there is cruise staff duties for dancers on this line

This should be a great start on your project - good luck and let us know how you do
Old November 27th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

6 months is the average contract for a staff entertainer - not 1 year.

Generally they want "Broadway-style" show dancing, jazz-dance, Fosse and and a little tap.

They also usually have a professional dance "adagio" couple who perform pas de deux duets during segments of shows. This couple's forte is dance alone and they should be able to very advanced lifts.

The cast will also have (usually) two lead singers (male & female) WHOSE FORTE IS SINGING, AND THEY MUST DANCE A LITTLE. The rest of the cast (6 to 10 more people) are combination singer/dancers - your typical chorus folks who are talented but excel at neither.