Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to platnumGirl Send a message via MSN to platnumGirl
Default Weight Requirements

Hi everyone, I desparaly want to work on the cruiselines. I'm 18 and I'm a fully qualified chef. The only issue is my weigh, I'm almost 190lbs do you think that that would stop my application form going through?
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Rescue156

Default Re: Weight Requirements

Any cruise line that can't see through a little bit of weight is no cruise line for me. 190 pounds for an 18 year old person is not bad. I wish I weighed 190 pounds!!
Old November 13th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

Platinum Girl,

I've been working onboard Luxury Liners since 1990. I've never known a man or woman denied a job for being 190 lbs. On the contrary, most guys that I know for a fact who weighed over 250 lbs. were even the Executive Chefs. Now things would probably be a bit different if the applicant weighed close to a ton and would be over 8 feet tall. Seriously, if you're qualified and are in perfect health ... I see no problem.
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks you guys for your response I just wanted the reassurance I guess. So when I do start sending off my applications I will have no doubts in my mind.
Thank You xXx
Old November 17th, 2004, 04:16 AM
michael dean ballard

Default chef to chef

Platinum Girl,
I am applying for Chef work on cruise lines too (we should compare notes). I've read lots of cruiseline and hiring agency websites and a few suggest that you be min. 21-25 y/o so you might want to downplay that. I don't meen to sound cynical at all but how did you get to be "fully qualified Chef" at 18? My experience is that it takes at least several years as a full time professional plus culinary school basic training. Again, from all the websites I've read for culinary positions onboard, they ask an applicant to have at least two years continuous hotel cooking experience and basic culinary school training.
Good luck and please give me shout, I'm sure we can make it easier for each other by comparing notes. My hotel kitchen closes mid January for remodel, I've got several offers in local kitchens but I'm holding out for cruise ships.
peace
michael dean
dean@deanscanteen.com
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Hey whats up Michael? How you doing? Well when I said I was fully qualified I wasn't kidding lol. I'm from England so I guess college and schooling is a bit different than it is in the States. I went to culinary school, and I finished about 4months ago I've got my NVQ 1, 2 and 3, Heath and safety certificate, Imtermide Hygiene, First Aid and all that stuff. I've got 1 year's experience in restaurants (but that was only part time).
So have you applied to any cruiselines yet? Where you currently working? How long have you worked there? How old are you? I looking to change jobs at the moment, I'm gonna start applying to hotels and see how it goes.
laters
holla back
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:51 PM
michael dean ballard

Default chef

platinumGirl,
Going great thank you. I have a list of twenty five mailing addreses to cruiseline's and the agencies that hire for them (for the galley). My portfolio has finally gone out to them. Emails and online applications are totaly useless ( I found this out the hard way, but now have more respect for the people that 'told me so"). I'm at the Marriott Hotel, Newport Beach (Fashion Island), California, USA. I've worked here in the kitchens for almost two years full time after I took my first few basic culinary college classes.
I would be interested to hear what it's like to work in England and all about your classes etc.
I'm just being a hard ass about what it takes to be a Chef because here in the States they don't call you a Chef until you are a notch above lead cook. At my culinary school they would call you a "cooks apprentice" after cooking full time for 3 years and going to culinary college conccurently.
peace
michael dean
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:56 PM
bridget

Default Re: Re: Weight Requirements

good luck, wish you well