Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Default Info on Youth Staff

I currently work for Royal Caribbean as a youth staff. There have been a few, to say the least, changes that have made me rethink my want to work for this company. The fact is, i love my job, i love the travel, i love the kids and i love the social aspect. I'm asking all other youth staff, on different lines to help me out. Can i hear some good and bad things about your company. Salariy, perhaps, kid to staff ratio, average kid counts, other duties--besides working with kids. For example, we have to work shore ex, rock wall and other cruise staff duties, which i don't mind. Thank you in advance for your help. I don't want to leave my job, but i feel if there are better options with other companies, i must explore them. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Info on Youth Staff

Hi Lori- I also work for RCI- but as a CPA0- but have many friends as youth staff- The company has restructured many different positions- what are you haveing issues with?
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Info on Youth Staff

The main thing that I'm having a problem with is some new gold anchor standars--as well as every youth staff, fleet wide. The main thing is they want schedualing done by number of staff, not number of kids...for instance if you are on a panama canal cruise or an alaskan cruise that only have 20 kids, eveyrone is still going to work 70 hours a week...if you have a team of 8 and 4 kids signed up for kids dinner, there has to be 4 staff...durring a portzone that must be 4 staff...with sometimes only 5 kids...stuff like that. I'm defenatly not in this job for the money, as CPA you know that, i'm here to travel and see ports, but when i only have one port off a week, whats the point?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
NY

Hey Lori,
I'm also an employee as a youth staff with RCCL. I just finished a contract on the Soveriegn before the Gold Anchor standards took place so I am clueless about the changes. If I'm going to be working ridiculous hours and not seeing any ports, this job is not for me. I am scheduled for the Navigator and am very skeptical about woorking. I have applied to Holland America and also Princess. I heard Princess is the best cruise line to work for and that their itineraries are the best because they move their ships around. Holland America contacted me and told me you have to be a seasonal youth staff before becoming a full time youth staff. They wanted me to work Christmas break but i declined that offer. Princess still has yet to contact me - but I heard that it's slow if not going through an agency. My friend was contacted 3 months later by them but it was too late because she was already on a RCCL contract. Anyways what is your next ship?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey NY- Oh my gosh- I was just on the Sovereign in Aug....who are you??????!!!

Lorigale- Yes, I have heard about several changes with the Gold Anchor Standards. A friend of mine just went to the Grandeur (as youth staff) and all these changes happened so she is trying to adjust to them... I have also heard that there were changes to the ACD position-, as well as many others! sigh... I guess we will see!
How much time did you have to get off to see the ports, prior to these changes?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

While not on staff, I have taken my kids on the Sovereign and the Enchantment. Booked for the Sovereign again in May. When on the Enchantment last May there was a girl on the youth staff that had been on the Sovereign the previous May and remembered my boys. I think you guys do a great job! I do not know what goes on behind the scenes but everyone seemed to enjoy their job from what I could see. My kids always want to stay for late night party zone until 1AM. When we pay cash for that, do you guys get to split that up? What about tipping? Is it customary, expected, appreciated? Last time on the Enchantment the last night, I picked my kids up at 1AM forgot to bring money and said I would be right back. When I came back a few minutes later the doors were locked. I left an envelope at the pursers desk with the $30 for the two kids and $20 extra as a tip. I wrote in the note to the girls to please email me to let me know they got it. I wanted to be sure they did but never heard anything. I didn't want them to think I stiffed them for that last night. How can I be sure they got the money? Would the pursers desk been sure to get it the youth staff??

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Passenger

yes, the ACD is now the Activities Manager--pretty much a cruise staff the does the schedualing!!! I was just cruising on the grandeur, as a pax--is your friend tiffany or gina? The time off in port would vary ship to ship, time of year, number of kids on board. Even in the summer, i wason a vision class ship that did the carribean out of florida and our kid counts would be a little over 600 I would get all but one port off, excluding the private destination. When i did the panama cannal a few years ago, i'd work a shift (3 hours) a day. That was fantastic, but wouldnt' do it again. I like working. Mainly the new gold anchor standards take the managing away from the manager. Before, the manager would be able to decide how many people would be needed for activites, kids dinner, lnpz...now it's all standardized, so if you have only 50 on the ship, and 10 staff there still has to be 4 people on portzone, 3 on LNPZ, and like 5 on dinner. For us on smaller ships (vision, soverign) this is ridiculus. They make the GAS for the big ships, and ignore the little ships. the teen staff also has to be a room host every port working from 3-5!!! Now when iwas on the big ships, this was mandatory, but on the small ships durring the off season the teen people are just going to be sitting there...plus on the vision we don't have a separate teen room, the voyagers use the teen room durring the day...where is the room host going to be located??? Just stuff that hasn't been figured out, that they 're not thinking of. And they send emails wondering about the high turnover rate!!! ummmm duh! All in all i love my job...I love to travel, i love the social aspect and the kids aren't half bad...I truely belive that the positon of youth staff is the best job on the ship...everyday is different. With that being said the reasons i would stay is because of the travel and socializing...if i'm only able to get off in one port...if by the end of the day I'm too tired to go to the SOB i really have nothing to stay for...it ain't the money honey!!! I'm looking at NCL right now.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
NY

Hey Electra ("Ladybug")
It's Al - no surprise there, esp since the thing says NY. Are you still doing ships?

Lori - NCL seems to have a great itinerary for Hawaii - basically because it leaves from Honolulu. One thing is that you have to be a US citizen to work for NCL in Hawaii. I might check it out. Good Luck with your search.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
NY

Actually Electra- who are you? I think I'm mistaken because I might be mistaking you for another youth staff but you said you're a CPA. Melanie?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
suzfl

The upside of NCL Pride of Aloha - it's a US registered ship, so that usually means you can file for unemployment when on "vacation" if you're a US citizen- but NCL is no escape from the corporate crap. There is mucho cruise staff duites for dancers and youth staff. Quality of shipboard life if a bit below RCCL standards. The food is worse (really!) and there's a bit more rules and regulations to deal with. But it is Hawaii. Look for the private resorts or upscale lines if you're looking for the 'old school' ship working experience!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

NY- I was actually onboard as a guest of a staff, but hung out with some youth staff... I was on the last weekend that Jaydeen was leaving and Melissa, the CPA at the time left.

How long hav you been with RCI?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:46 PM
NY

Electra- I've only been with RCCL for one 5 month contract. Leaving for the Navigator in January. I miss Jaydeen- she was such a great co-worker ! From her mass email, it seems like she is working hard on the Grandeur. Well I guess I'm in for a big change when I'm on the Navigator then when I was on the Sovereign!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

NY- Were you at the goodbye lunch for her at that chinese restaurant in Nassau- before the hurricane hit? What has she said about the Grandeur- is it very different? I hear the Navigator is loaded in kids! But way bigger!
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM
NY

Electra- Actually I was working that Port Zone when she had her party at the Filipino restaurant. She has said that on the Grandeur they're doing more work than she did on the Sovereign- but also she probably has those annoying training sessions that you have to re-do when you sign onto a ship. I remember when I was transferred from the Monarch to the Sovereign, I had to do some training courses again since I signed onto a new ship. I have done some research on the Navigator and it seems like I'm going to have my hands full because it does attract many families. What's cool about it is that for its teens, it has a back deck for them with a buffet and music. Also it mentions that the Mariner and Navigator have bigger facilities for the kids in each age group. When I visited the Explorer- I thought that it was small for the amount of kids they get. I couldn't imagine playing gaga ball in such a small space. What ship are you going on in your nexxt contract as a CPA?
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh it's too bad- you weren't there, that would have been funny, although I'm sure we were introduced at some point... I went as a guest of the ACD at the time, Errol.. This will be my first contract with RCI so I am currently waiting for a ship ssignment which means I am going out of my mind waiting for the phone to ring. I love how they tell you that it could be a week or a month or 2 months. ugh!!! oh well! It's funny, you are going to be going from tiny to jumongous! The Navigator is huge!!!! You will most likely love it!

How come you were transfered to the Soevreign from the Monarch? Do they do that often? Do you get to chhose the age group you want to work with?
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
NY

Electra- I think I remember you.. I remember Errol introducing his guest , so I think we met but very briefly. He's a great guy. As far as me being transferred, I did not have a choice, headquarters transferred me a month into my contract from the Monarch to the Sovereign. So yeh they do transfer people whenever they feel like it. I think it was because they needed another male on the youth staff , since there was only 1; on the Monarch, there were 5 males. I was just getting comfortable with the Moanrch too and just finised unpacking and then they told me I was being transferred. What sucked was that I had to be flown from LA to Miami and then meet the ship in Nassau. But I was glad I was transferred because believe it or not I think the Sovereign has a better itinerary then the Monarch- hard to believe (altough San Diego is a great port). What was really shocking to me was that I felt like I was being punished because the Monarch was just refurbished and then they bring me onto the Sovereign (the oldest ship)! I think the Sovereign has just completed it's renovations so it'll probably look as good as the Monarch. But overall, I'm glad I was transferred because I met great people. As far as the age groups- you are rotated through the age groups each cruise - 3-5,6-8,9-11, 12-14, and 15-17. I say try to hang in there with headquarters calling you back. I sent them an email asking what my next assignement was and never heard a word. I finally called them and they said to send a email. I told them I already had sent one and like maybe 2 hours later they emailed me with my assignment. So maybe try to contact them. I'm still waiting for my letter of employment in the mail and flight info, it's been about 2 months already! Good Luck!
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:35 AM
jaune-pierre

hi i am 21 years old from south africa and would like to work on a cruise ship so how do i get a job on one
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

NY- I was introduced to so many staff that I am trying really hard to remember you. Did you like the Monarch? When are you scheduled to go to the Navigator? How long have yo been working for RCI?
Ya, I have been pestering RCI with emails constantly. But because of the holidays, they stop new hirings for positions that need handovers cause I guess it is too crazy. So we will see!
oh and Errol is also on the Grandeur- so I guess some Sovereigners stuck together!