Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
Delfina

Default Purser Trainee on CCL?

Hi everyone,

I just got a position as a Purser Trainee on CCL. Could someone tell me more about the position. I got only a few information from the agency and it's always better to hear it first hand. What are the main responsibilities for this position, are the working hours long, how is the accomodation? When in the destination port do Pursers have time to see the place? I was told that the pay for probation period is 1000$. How long is the probation period for? Also they told me that you can very soon get promoted, and that it can happen during your contract, is that true? I would very much appreciate any information about this position and CCL in general.

Kind regards,

Delfina
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Purser Trainee on CCL?

hi can you please tell me any address of any agencys that find work on cruise ships?lookm forward to hearing from you.thank you.
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Beginner

hi please can you tell me how to find worjk on a cruise ship/
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Passenger

Hey There

Well I have been a Purser for 18 months now and I love it!
Get ready to work hard chicka! You will either love this job or hate it! There is a lot of work!!!
First you will go to Purser College on the Fascination which is excellent. You have excellent trainers there and excellent pursers in the office to learn from.
After your 2 week college you and all your college mates will be split up and sent to individual ships, where you will then be a cadet purser, no longer a trainer. Thats when your salary will go up to 1200.
I got promoted to 3rd Purser in my first contract so I am doing well.
I completed a contract on the Paradise, and then one on the Ecstasy. I left the Ecstasy 1 week ago and am now on vacation in the UK. I will return to the Pride on January 30th. Its nice that my home time has fell at christmas for me!
Your job\- can be tough! You will have a hard time at the front desk some days....some of these guests can be extremely difficult with you, and when you're having a bad day, or feeling home sick, it doesnt help! But don't give up. Dont take things personal! But you will meet some excellent guests! Very funny nice people, which is the majority!!!
You will be working 7 days a week, Usually 6 hours on the front desk and then you will have your side duties, such as lost luggage, where you have to follow up with guests who have not recieved luggage etc....Lost and Found, follow up and log all lost and found items, Special Needs, where you will have to make sure each special needs guest is logged and they have everything they need., Port Papers - which you won't do until you are experienced. This is basically preparing all customs and immigration paper work ready for when we arrive in port. When we arrive in a US port, the port paper purser is actually responsible for clearing the ship with the customs officers. Very exciting!
If your heart is in it, and you are willing to work hard this job will drive you! You will be dying for promotion and will love it!

I hope you do well in Purser College girl! I'm sure you will.
Get Ready! Your life is about to change!

Maybe I will see you soon in a Pursers Office!!

Have Fun!
Emma xxx
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM
cliff de aguiar

hi

just would like to know how u applied for this job, i have been trying to get on board a cruise ship for ages, pls if you can send me some information or something on how you did this i would be most grateful.

thanking you

clifford de aguiar
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Delfina

Hi Emma,

thank you so much for the info. It is really helpful to know in rough what to expect from the job. I got my departure date for Miami, it is on March 16, so in a month's time I'll be in Purser College. Who knows, maybe I'll se you around. If you wish you may contact me via e-mail.

Take care!

Delfina
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
sarahgirl

Oh my god....I hope you really like being in customer service, because being a purser is pretty hard on some days. I was a purser on the Pride. You must remember that guests come first, no matter what. Our motto" Exceed the Guest Expectations." You handle money. You get a float, change money, handle guest sail and sign accounts, deal with comlaints...YOU DEAL WITH COMPLAINTS ALL DAY LONG. You will use a program called CRS...LEARN IT QUICKLY. Spend extra time in the office learning things that will help. You do side work. Learn Special needs, because you will have to do it. You will end up working night shift, which is two weeks, but that won't be for a whiel. Did you talk to David in Miami???? If I can help you more, email me and we will chat.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Passenger

Sarah, i think i came to the Pride just after you left... hi

Don't let this girl see the job as so negative! You will scare her to death...

the job is fun!!!!