Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Default massage job needed

hi, I'm going to be fresh out of college in May 2005 and I desperately would like to get a job on a cruise ship for massage therapy. I live in Minnesota and we don't have to be licensed here. I was wondering if anyone had any info as far as if ships hire right out of college or about the licensing part. Anything you might know would be very helpful thank!

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2004, 05:50 PM
cruzsuz

Default Re: massage job needed

Steiner (also owns Mandara spas) in one of the main companies that hire for spas on ships

Here's a link I found
http://www.mandaraspa.com/reach/employ.htm

Click on the Steiner spas at sea to see more - also just put "Steiner" and "spa" and "careers" or "employment" into any search engine and you'll get a lot of info

Here's another one with job requirement info
http://www.cast-a-way.com/steiner_info.htm
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:06 PM
Scott Anderson

Hi! I used to work at sea for about 7 years, and made a webpage to help others, its free, no scams, no book to buy, just good information covering all positions and all the concession addresses and agencies you can write to or email. Plus links to other info too! And its Free.

www.scottanderson.me.uk
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
rara

Hi , Jessunder,

Do you know how much money can we make as massage therapists on a cruise ship ? The Internet says $2600- $3600 . Do you think it is real ?

You can visit www.steinerleisure.com , apply online and they willl send you information abt interview dates .

Thank you !!!!!

Rara
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:05 AM
surfcarol

Rara, did you ever find out about Steiner rates for massage therapists?
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Rara

Hello , Carol ,
as no one answered me from the forum , only one who adviced me to ask Steiner , I did so .Not that I didn't think of it myself , but I wanted to hear it from a cruisemate.
From Steiner Slovenia said you take 8-10 % of the massages + tips , rounding $2000 a month , food and board provided . I know a person who knows a massage therapist who worked there and she also said that you can take UP to $ 2000 , but with a lot of work , you might have to work 12 hours a day and look excellent all the time , also to sell their products .
Can you tell me in which country have you worked as a massage therapist , any ship? , how profitable is it ?

I 'll be happy to hear from you .
Rara
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

YOu can be sure that Steiner will work you a lot of hours and require you to sell their products for them as well. My wife is a LMT, and she says it is VERY hard to do more than 5 or 6 massages a day. These days she limits then to 2 / day.

On land, an average spa employed masseuse will get 30% to 50% -- if Steiner only gives you about 10% it is because you also get room & board. The average massage on a ship is $120/hour, if you do 8/day, 30 days/month at 10% you would earn about $3000 or more.

If your Syeiner friend said she earned up to $2000, that tells me Steiner probably works most MTs about about 40 hours/week.

By the way, Steiner is very selective about who they hire, requires certification and a good number of hours of training to qualify. They own one of the US's top massage schools (name escapes me now).

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Ni Nyoman Sariani

I have some experience of SPA industry as SPA reception and sauna attendent, and hotel industry as waitress and front office. I would like to get a job on cruise ship for SPA Reception or waitress. I am Baliness and now I leave in KUTA. We don't have to be licenced here, i was wondering if anyone had any info as far as if ships hire right out of the licencing part. anything you might know would be very helpful.

Thank You

NI Nyoman Sariani

Kuta,Bali indonesia
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Rara

Default Re: Re: massage job needed

Dear Paul , you yourself said that a MT can hardly make more than 6 massages a day , then you should not calculate with 8 per day . Also a spa can not be full of clients all the time .

Regards !
Rara
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
sarahgirl

Steiner Transocean
Attn: Personnel Manager
1007 North America Way, 4th Floor
Miami, FL 33132

Phone: (305) 358-9002
Fax: (305) 372-9310
Job Phone: (305) 358-9002, ext. 200