Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Robert Ortiz

Default Finding Sommelier Job

Hello,

My name is Rob and I am looking into a job on a cruise ship. I am finding all kinds of information, but I don't know who to trust. I don't want to waste time or money with frauds. I have found a manual that seems to have good reviews called, 2004 Cruise Line Employment Manual, by Jim Ross. Does anybody have any suggestions or opinions on this manual?

I have logged on directly with some cruise lines and have successfully found postings for sommelier positions, but I have not heard anything. It has been about a week. Is this normal? Is this the way I should go?

I was the assistant sommelier for Chef Emeril in Las Vegas, so I think my credentials are sufficient.

I would appreciate some help.

Thank you,

Robert Ortiz
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Finding Sommelier Job

If you look a couple posts down - I mention that book was the way I found my job - after much research, that was the most accurate as far as name and address info.

Assuming you are from the US - and I don't think I've ever seen a US citizen in a sommelier job (I could be wrong) - but a line like NCL is hiring mostly US for it's Hawaii ships, so you might want to check there

Have you seen this posting - for bar manager on an RCCL ship?
http://www.rccl.hospitalityjobs.hcar.../jobs?all=true

Other than entertainment jobs - you will rarely find US citizens working elsewhere on the ship - though there are exceptions - Hotel Directors, Bar Managers, on board Human Resources, marine Facilities Managers and Environmental Officers - but these are jobs that require specific job training and experience.

If you don't hear anything after a couple of weeks - call the HR office and follow up to see if your info was recieved. If you're near Miami - ask for an interview

Post Edited (01-10-05 12:06)
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Robert Ortiz

Default Re: Re: Finding Sommelier Job

Cruz,

Thanks for the information I realize time is valuable and I appreciate the response. Yes, I applied to the bar manager job and they sent me back a reply that all my answers closely fit there profolio, so I guess that's something. It was automated, so I don't know how significant it is.

I am in Miami right now, so who can I call for an interview. It seems like they are so against and contacting.

What is with the American thing? I am not going to take offense, but I want to know the reasoning.

Thanks,

Rob
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Finding Sommelier Job

Just sent you the info . . .

But for any other crewmembers - what do you all think about the US thing?

My view is that the lines hire from around the world, so they have a LARGE pool of people to choose from. Then there's the perception that some cruise jobs are low paid viewed in US terms (which is often true-but sometimes you'd be suprised)