Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Beginner

Default Second interview with Chef Monday, please advise.

A Cruise West corporate Chef will phone interview me (galley position). I made it past the initial phone interview, but that one was easy. For the sake of not winding up with unqualified people onboard, I hope it's NOT easy. I certainly don't want to blow it, while being straight with him, as he would expect no less, so any advice as to what I might expect please DO TELL.
I've yet to work pro for a cruise line, so:
REASONS QUALIFIED FOR CRUISE SHIP WORK (and a little about the cruise line interviewing) SKIP TO LEAVE ADVICE if you like ; )
I am uniquely qualified as I've sailed with some true world sailors and extensively traveled overland- camping in tents/trailers (lots of experience living in close quarters and at sea) not to mention now having the culinary school and hotel cooking experience required, and experience working with people hands on as a salesperson and activity director in nursing homes.
I'm very much looking forward to the "marathon" work schedule to prove to myself I've really got what it takes (not that working in pro kitchens for up to two weeks straight with no vacation for two years was a walk in the park).
If anyone has worked for Cruise West I would love to hear from you (or anyone that might help to get ready for a tough phone interview)! I believe they are the largest "small ship" cruise company in North America. Working on a ship with max. guests of 114 will be excellent experience in multi-tasking with lots of guest interaction too. It must be difficult for them to find ALL well-rounded crewmembers. I believe I'm a perfect fit and wish to put my best foot forward. Thank you all for helping me out so far and any further help. Someday I'll be back here helping out too. Many thanks and sorry for talking your ears off here, I'm obviously very excited about this opportunity!
peace
michael dean

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Second interview with Chef Monday, please advise.

I asked my mentor, a recently retired executive who came up the ranks through "human resources". She used to hire and fire people who made six figures, has served on boards of directors for many years and has given me excellent advice through the years too. I was pleasantly surprised when a few years ago she stopped fielding my questions by simply saying "you know the answers, you don't need to ask me anymore". Tonight I happened to be having dinner with her and I couldn't resist asking her. Again I was pleasantly surprised when she said "you already made it past the hard part, you'll do fine in the interview".
I'll let you know...
peace
mdb

Old January 25th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Beginner

Default Third interview.

Corporate Chef was great! Pleasantly thorough, could've talked for hours, but, did give one hour. Also gave the green light for the last "human resources" interview next week (HURRAY!!!).
So far: Got the call from a website resume post (after many hours/weeks of working the web and sending resumes with head shots etc.). Set up an interview for the following week, which was a "human resources" screening interview; basic questions to make sure you understand what you're getting into including a review of the job description, filling out regular application and signing off on background checks. The next week, second interview with executive of the department, making sure you have the job/people skills.
Hopefully be onboard in March, living (working) out a dream that began seriously training for over two years ago.
The corporate Chef was convincing of what was already suspected, that this is an excellent outfit and an excellent opportunity.
Hope to get the offer. If not this one, then the next, and one day I'll see you onboard.
peace
mdb
http://www.deanscanteen.com