Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:43 AM
jimbrut

Default tell me thr truth ?

well i just want to know how does life on a cruise ship? because i heard many people said that life on a cruise ship is very hard many of the stff are rude,and then they are so many gay people is it right? so please help me to find the real conditions life on a cruise ship is okay
well thank you any way for read this message ok bye
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:06 PM
simonat sea

Default Re: tell me thr truth ?

oh no not gay people! of course we are all ailens you know out to covert you! come get real you don't sereously fear gay people do you it is the 21st century you know i too am starting life on a cruise ship, oh my, watch your back!! and get a life live and let live you know.
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The proportion of gay people on a cruise ship is about the same as you would find in any world-class city. Personally, I like them because they usually have a good sense of humor and don't cause trouble (haven't seen too many gays in fist-fights or stealing my girlfriends).

The staff is NOT rude at all - if you don't know how to get along with people you will not last long on a ship. The life is not THAT hard and it depends on your job. Some jobs are actually very easy. At least life is worry-free, no rent, no bills, no car , free meals, free medical care.

Old May 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Well, some ships are more "gay" than others, but hey, some of the Hetero people are worse than the "gay" ones you are talking about. Be a sweetheart and have an open mind. Of the people I have met, the "gay" ones have been really happy and social and very sweet and sincere and love to have a good time. Some of the Heter ones are really grouchy and homophobes rule the planet. Just have a good time and think of everyone as a new interesting individual to meet. Besides, you don't want to start off having enemies. The ship is not a place you want to have enemies on. Its like a small small small city and everyone knows pretty much everything.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

A ship is also not the place to have bigotry either. The community has to be close knit out of neccessity. If you have a problem with gays, blacks, asians, europeans, jews, muslems, christians, etc then you really don't need to be on a ship. Crew come in all shapes, colours and personalities and you have to live and work with them.
Jim

Old May 31st, 2005, 05:13 AM
Admiral

For example:

I think the bigger the chief the better the food would be!

Not that I am saying small chief's are better or worse one's. .

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: tell me thr truth ?

Yes, if you have any gay-phobia you probably don't want to work on a cruise ship. And I agree, they are generally happier & nicer than the hetero's in the sense that if you run into someone who is really grumpy or otherwise hard to deal with it is probably not a gay. The single men get either sexually frustrated or competitive, and the single women get lonely. The gay's just have a gay old time.

That is not to say that there are a LOT of grumpy hetero people on ships though. Most people on ships definitely like their jobs and wouldn't want to be any place else, except on vacation from their jobs.

Old July 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Beginner

Default gay?

I did a 6 mth contract on the Grandeur and i found that there was a large number of gay men on the ship.

I worked in the orchestra and found that i hung out with the cast and all but one of the guys in the cast were gay. No worries. We all had a good time and most of the time i forgot their sexual orientation. Just normal people dude, get over it.

The living is tough if you get a bad room mate. I had 3 room mates in my six months and only one was really bad. He was totally insane. He never spoke. But i just requested a room change.

The food for crew was pretty terrible on the GD but if you get in with the right people you can eat in the officers mess or the dining room. I also had Wind Jammer privliges too, so i ate there often. When you get off the ship the first thing you will be looking for is a good restaurant.

The hours some of the crew work are ridiculous but if you are excellent at your job then you will do well with tips.

All the best and drop the gay hang ups.

jarrod
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
well i just want to know how does life on a cruise ship? because i heard many people said that life on a cruise ship is very hard many of the stff are rude,and then they are so many gay people is it right? so please help me to find the real conditions life on a cruise ship is okay
well thank you any way for read this message ok bye
I haven't worked on a cruise ship yet, but I would assume that if you make derogatory statments about a set of people, then logic suggests that that set of people, and their friends are more likely to be rude to you.

Assuming there is a significant number of gay people on the ship, and how close knit ship crew are bound to be, then nearly every straight person will have a gay friend, and resent you dissing their friend.

On the other hand if your concern was simply whether or not there would be an adaquate number of hetrasexual members of the opposite sex on board, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Gays are oke, especially in Europe (Holland) it's even normal as being hetero.

Why do you wanna know how many gay people are on board? I'm hetero, but some friends are gay and I have a lot of fun with them.

Your topictitel is "Tell me the truth". I'm telling you the truth that if you have worries about working with gaymen, than you're sick. That's my truth.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
Your topictitel is "Tell me the truth". I'm telling you the truth that if you have worries about working with gaymen, than you're sick. That's my truth.
Not necessarly. It depends on your reason for your concern re the sexual orientation of the people you're working with.

I( as a hetrosexual male) for example don't want to work on a ship full of Lesbians - For each Lesbian that is one less straight woman in the pool of potential mates. I would however welcome the opportunity to work with a ship where many of the men were Gay(provided they respect the fact that I'm not), because they wouldn't be interested in the pool of Hetrosexual females.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Default haha yes!

Well put Arion!
Don't get me wrong though, people are people and everyone is their own. Just because they are gay first off and you are a guy, doesnt mean that they want to **** you.
Second, I think that it is weird how almost every gay guy can respect that your straight but a lot of straight guys disrespect gay guys. Dont know if that makes any sense but its true.

p.s. I love girls! 8)
-b
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Passenger

It trully depends on your personality. I noticed life on a ship is not for everyone.

If you don't have an issue with gays in the "normal" world, you shouldn't have it on a ship.

I (heterosexual female) too like gay men a lot. Especially because I know they won't be hiting on me and that spares me from having to "reject" them as I'm not "looking" for someone. But that's a whole different story...

I've already done my first contract on a ship and I must tell you I loved it.
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Passenger

Default To tell you the truth.....

I worked on cruise ships for 10 years with both straight and gay crew (both men and women.) I never once heard of an unwanted advance from a gay crew member.... it was the straight, horny guys who were interested in getting the ship rocking.
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruise ship life is most of all what you make it yourself. Among houndres of crewmembers you will find all kinds of people, so it would definately be an asset if you are outgoing and tolerant.

Yes - there is a lot of gay people on cruise ships, but I don't think that's a bad thing and does not make any negative impact of the daily life whatsoever. In fact I always made sure to be friendly with the gay as they always knew a lot of women
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Beginner

for me you asking that question....&^%$*( i am not gay) but man..YOU DO NOT BELONGE ON A SHIP!!!!!! and if you go you will not make it your first contract you will be calling your mom after 3 weeks...HELP I WHANT TO GO HOME.. leaf the space for a NORMAL person how just whants to do his job and have some fun at the same time!!!

GO TO THE ARMY!!!!!

matt :evil: