Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Admiral

Default any one ever met and married?

Just wondering if many of the crew, end up dating each other and get married, or if any of the crew end up dating or marrying a former passenger they met on board. I know there are rules about not dating customers and maybe other staff but Im sure it happens once in a while, and Im just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Default Re: any one ever met and married?

hello showcat,
Yes, it happans, I met my now fiance on Carnival last year. I was on my 4- day cruise with my mom and saw this gourgeous guy working there. I think that from the first time we looked at each other's eyes, we knew that we ment for each other. We didn't have chance to talk much because he was on duty but we secretly exchanged phone numbers. Those 4 days on the cruise went very fast and we had no chance to even talk, crew members are not allowed to talk to passangers! Anyways...........he was on his 8- month contract with Carnival and we wanted to see each other again one day, so we decided that I would go see him on Catalina Island one day where they stop for couple of hours. So we saw each other every Tuesday for a year on Romantic island of Catalina, believe it or not. His contract ended on February 28th this year and now we are together making plans for future.
So, yes, it's possible to meet someone and fall in love on board.
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Nice story, and congrats to both of you! thanks
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Seen it a number of times. I know at least three couples personally that met and married each other on the ships. I also know that one of the regular posters here met and married her steward. Been happily married for some time now and I've met them and they are great people. So that's just four couples that I can think of right off the top of my head.
Jim

Old March 18th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It happens all the time (and so do the divorces). It is hard to sustain a marriage with someone you were close to on a ship when you have to transform that relationship tp life on land. I have seen the most successes with passengers who meet crewpeople. or two crewpeople from the same part of the world who meet on ships.

I have seen foreign cruise directors & officers marry dancers or stewards, and that is often difficult.

Old April 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Passenger

Marrying another crew member is bad news unless you are from the same country. The visa situation, the decisions on where you will live. Everyone wants to be in the U.S. so you have to be very careful. You never really know when someone loves you or wants to be in the U.S. its really like that. I know a few people who went through that and they are just recovering, so be careful out there. Trust no one, literally. You are on your own on the ocean, with no one to really get your back. Its not that you can't fall in love, but its like working on a movie set or a play. When you are that close to people, you tend to fall in love fast and you aren't sure if its the real thing. A few months is not enough time to really know that person. I suggest taking a few contracts to figure it out, don't rush into anything. There are so many people on these ships coming and going. Some people have a new boyfriend/girlfriend on each ship and they all claim to fall in love every time. See what I mean??

Post Edited (04-28-05 16:07)
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahkathrin
Marrying another crew member is bad news unless you are from the same country. The visa situation, the decisions on where you will live. Everyone wants to be in the U.S. so you have to be very careful. You never really know when someone loves you or wants to be in the U.S. its really like that. I know a few people who went through that and they are just recovering, so be careful out there. Trust no one, literally. You are on your own on the ocean, with no one to really get your back. Its not that you can't fall in love, but its like working on a movie set or a play. When you are that close to people, you tend to fall in love fast and you aren't sure if its the real thing. A few months is not enough time to really know that person. I suggest taking a few contracts to figure it out, don't rush into anything. There are so many people on these ships coming and going. Some people have a new boyfriend/girlfriend on each ship and they all claim to fall in love every time. See what I mean??

Post Edited (04-28-05 167)
I must say that I think your post is full of BS (exuse the language)
Me (norwegian 1st officer) and my wife (filipino cruise staff) met 6 years ago and have been hapily married for 4. I can with 100% certainty assure you that none of us has a wish to stay in the US. In fact we wake up every day feeling great knowing we don't have to travel to that country anymore.

Anyway, my wife and I met on the SS Norway and we are still madly in love. I have never ever regret marrying her and we thank NCL every day for bringing us together, not to mention their cooperative attitude when I changed ship and she also was granted a transfer.
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Passenger

In regards to the post about everyone wanting to be in the US. That is in no way true! Actually, if you speak to most crew members, after a few contracts, you will find the last place they want to be...is the USA.
and also, there are hardly any crewmembers on ship from the usa. If there is, they are usually musicians...dancers, and only hag out..with each other...

I met my fiance onboard, he is Croatian, and i am British. We cannot decide where we want to live after one more year on ships. So instead of choosing one persons country, we are considering getting a house in Italy.
But really, it is no way true that anyone just wants to get in the usa...crew members cant wait to get away from the place after a few contracts...trust me!

Also, in regards to crew not being able to talk to passengers...that is no true either... i don't know where people get these stories from...but they make it seem like a floating prison! We do live a normal life onboard! a crazy fun life and i wouldnt change it for it world...
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Beginner

ooh yeh ship love......
i met my wife on the ships....listen for me it was the best thing that happand but you have to under stand that ship live if soooo diverent from land life and that a person on the ship lives a diferent live on the ship than on land...but yes on of my best mates how works on carnival met his wife there to and are together for the last 3 years....the hard thing is getting on the same ship all the time togrther more if you work in div departmands... but it is the best thing to have your partner onboard your contract passes so much quicker...i dont know of a pax-crew/staff couple my self been on the ships for 6 years but have not met them....

regards
matty