Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Lil' Em

Default In your opinion.......????

Hi all,

In your opinion, which do you feel is the best cruise line company to work for? Does it depend on the job? I'm just interested to find out what you all think.

Emma (A future cruise line employee - hopefully!)
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: In your opinion.......????

Depends on what you want in your career. How old are you? what is more important; socializing, making money or seeing the world?

For me, I would choose to work with a small luxury line because the work load would be relatively lighter, the food better, and chances are the ship would sail all over the world, not just the same itinerary over and over.

I have done both, and the lux lines are far better. I worked first with an older (gone) company, Royal Viking, the most luxury of its day. Loved every minute. I went from Tahiti to Norway in 7 months.

Next I worked on a ship that was huge and did the same 7-day caribbean voyage week after week. That was just a job, and a demanding one, too.

Last I was with Holland America, and I was lucky enough to be on a ship that went to Europe. It was great. HAL is a good company to work for, but even better if you get the foreign itineraries. Otherwise it will be repeating Alaska & Caribbean cruises, but at least most of the Caribbean cruise are 10-day and they vary the ports.

Old April 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Lil' Em

Default Re: In your opinion.......????

Thanks for replying Paul!
I'm 22 and live in the UK. I really want a bit of everything, the socializing, money and to see the world. I think the experience will be really good for me.
I've worked my way up in my current hotel, from part-time Mini-bar attendant, to Room attendant, then to Supervisor. I just now feel that it's time to move on from Malmaison (thats the company I work for) now.
I know that the work will be hard, and lots of hours, but I'm prepared for it.
Thanks for your help!
Emma