Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
gonzo_life

Default NCLA

Hey all,

I recently accepted a position onboard NCL's Pride of America. I will be starting as an asst. waiter. Not too exciting, but it's a foot in the door. I'm getting ready to leave for MD for my training in a week and am getting very excited! This is an industry I've been trying to get into for some time now and can't wait to start!

A few quick questions:

1.Has anyone had experience working for NCL (specifically the American flagged ships)? I know that they spend alot of time in port and have one overnight on the island - how will that affect my on-duty hours?

2. How tough is it to pass the MMD? I cannot admit to being a saint. I have a few minor convitions from 1999 for possession of narcotics (one misdemeanor, one felony). Both were dismissed after completion of probation and nothing after that.

3. I am a nerd and like to play video games. Is there room for my PS2? I know that isn't very pressing, but just wanted to know before I pack it.

4. I have plenty of experience in restaraunt and hotel operations, but just as much in various forms of entertainment. Event planning, emcee-ing, karaoke host, nightclub booking and strong people skills are all in my repetois'. If I play my cards right, who should I buddy up with and what are my chances of transferring to the entertainment division? This is what I really would like to do on the ship, and would like a heads up to maximize my networking efficiency.

I know it's lenghty , but thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:47 AM
American Pride

Default Re: NCLA

The MMD training isn't bad. The toughest thing is staying awake. However the lifeboat & firefighting training are 2 fun days. As far as your past, be prepared to face some questions as drug convictions are tough to explain away as far as the Coast Guard is concerned. However we have had pretty good luck at getting the Coast Guard to be more forgiving.
When you join us in Germany be prepared to work hard. Bringing out a new ship is a lot of work that is normally outside of your normal duties but must be done in order to put forth a good product. Work hard and you dont have to worry about buddying up with the right person. The cruise industry is one of the few companies that understand and practice a promote from within policy.
Now all of that said, this is like no ohter job in the world. You need to be prepared to spend months away from home and family. Sometimes you will have to work and wont be able to get off the ship when you want to (its rare but it does happen) You will be sharing a room the size of your walk in closet with someone. You can never get 100% away from both the job or the people while you are on the ship so you need to be able to get along with everybody.
If I haven't scared you off yet, you will have a great time if you apply yourself. You can make a ton of money and my advice would be to save most of it. My first 3 years on the job allowed me to pay cash for a 2400 square foot house on 5 acres. I have more money in the bank than I ever thought I would, and most important I have traveled the world, seen things, done things, and met people. It's a fantastic lifestyle if you can hang with it.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
gonzo_life

Default Re: Re: NCLA

Grrr...I do admit to getting a little sleepy during lectures. Better get plenty of Red Bull I am a pretty verbose guy, and the convictions were at a point where my father had passed and I was too wild for my own good. Not too worried there, just a little nervous.

As far as the hustle, I'm ready to work and advance as far as I can.

Are there any "must haves" that I need to bring? The packing list is pretty sparce, and I'm sure that there's gonna be something I'll kick myself for not bringing.

Other than that, OHMYGAWDIMSOFLIPPINEXCITEDTOGETONDASBOOT!

Whew...sorry bout that.

-gonzo