Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM
tareesa

Default questions for current/former crew

Hi!
I have recently become interested in working on a ship, and have read a lot about it. However before I apply, it would be great if I could hear from someone who knows what it's really like!!

Do the companies give any kind of notice if they conduct a phone interview...or is it like, your hired..be here in 2 days?
Can you have an existing bank account back home? How do you pay bills/save money?
Does every job require you to share a cabin? Or do they pair you up with others in the same job?
What do you do in between contracts, go home? Stay where you are dropped off until your next contract?
I understand it's a lot of hard work, and am willing...but with a 70 hour work week, do you really get time to see any sights?
Any experience, or advice you have would be sooo helpful! Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: questions for current/former crew

Do the companies give any kind of notice if they conduct a phone interview...or is it like, your hired..be here in 2 days?

That can happen, but not usally

Can you have an existing bank account back home? How do you pay bills/save money?

You can have a family member do it for you - or just put everything in storage and cancel all your utility accounts.

Does every job require you to share a cabin? Or do they pair you up with others in the same job?

depends on the job.

What do you do in between contracts, go home? Stay where you are dropped off until your next contract?

Most contract scome with air transportation to and from the ship.

I understand it's a lot of hard work, and am willing...but with a 70 hour work week, do you really get time to see any sights?

Once again, it depends on your job, but generally yes, you do get to see the sights.

Any experience, or advice you have would be sooo helpful! Thanx!

Old May 10th, 2005, 05:10 PM
tareesa

Thank you Paul! Great site you have here.....I am primarily thinking about Youth Staff positions. From what I have read, it requires A LOT of hours, but they don't have to share cabins....?
Any youth staff people out there?
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM
hanna

The main reason why you would not share a cabin is if you're in a managment position or if you're lucky enough to be the odd one in your dept (meaning 6 boys and 3 girls, the boys would be paired up by two and the two girls would have to share and one would have their own cabin, but that's never permanent! Trust me) Youth Staff have alot of fun onboard, but again it depends on the company. Obviously if you work on Disney, you're working lots, but on any of the other cruise lines the dept is really quite good, and if you wanted certain times off, they're usually pretty flexible about switching hours around so you get the chance to see or do what you want to! Hope this helps.