Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
michael Casacci

Default Massage therapist ?

I am a recent graduate of the New York Institute of Massage and I've wanted to work on a cruise since I started school. I was wondering which cruise line has the best jobs and how to find the them? I've searching through many cruise lines websites and havn't found much. I even tried e-mailing elemis to have them send me an application but I was never sent a reply. Is Elemis good to work for and is it really the only one that is around to work through? Any help or advice pertain to the questions would be greatly appreciated. thanx
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM
szc

Default Re: Massage therapist ?

It's not Elemis but Steiner

Look at the first link in the thread a couple below about "links to cruise line employment" - has the info and requirements

or even easier
http://www.steinerleisure.com

Also - use the search function for this forum (just right above) and type in 'massage' - there was discussion in regards to pay and what you actually do day to day a while back.
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Becka

hi!

i am a cruise line employee and i can tell you first hand that working for steiner is HARD WORK!!! steiner employs most of the lines with their hairstylists, massage therapists..etc! you will have to go to england to train with steiner and then, when there is a position available to you, you will be placed on a ship! you will probably be placed on one of the smallest ships in the fleet so that you can get your feet wet (so to speak!) then you may work your way up to bigger ships depending on your retail/services sales! the managers that you will work for will be fun at the bar, but slave-drivers at work...it is their job...they get fired if their ship doesn't hit $$ targets! so don't take it personally! you will work insane hours (14-16 and sometimes more if you have training or port cleans!) and you will work for minimal amounts of money...if the guests aren't interested in buying your products or having a massage for 200$ then you don't make much at all?! it is a rough life and you don't have much time off...but good sales are incentive to get time off! if you have a half decent manager you should see the beach at least every other cruise! the money can be great and the time off can be abundant...but you need to work your ass off to get there! definitely look into it...it is a great lifestyle...but not many people return as a steiner after their first contract...unless they have made it to a management position!!!

good luck!
becka
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Snick's Guy

I've been told by Steiner employees on Princess that Carnival does not employ male massage therapists in their spas (I don't know if this is true, but I have never seen a male therapist on 6 Carnival cruises I have taken). Don't know why this is. I prefer to have a male therapist, I enjoy a very deep and strong massage to relieve tension, something that most female therapist can't deliver. On my last Princess cruise, I spent $600 in massages. I haven't spent a dime in the Carnival spas due to no male therapists (Carnival are you reading this?)
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM
pursermaria

Default No kidding

Carnival hires women only and the men stick to personal training for the most part, but there are some male hairdressers. Carnival is carnival, but they really work for Steiner, not Carnival. I guess the Carni's just request more women and even though they work hard, they have massive social lives. "nothin finer than a steiner" has been the motto I've heard mostly. Some of them are tart like and other are really great girls. Its a hard life for some of them and others are merely there to hook up with every man they can get their hands on. Apply anyway and see what happens. Everyone working on the ship is a good person and a hard worker. Don't let people tell you otherwise. Good luck.
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Passenger

are there male massures on the celebrity line
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome Newcomer

time to revive. im a male therapist and applied online to OneSpaWorld aka steiner.. when i applied there was ALOT of massage therapists required..

the response i got after a week waiting

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to advise you that there is no availability for this position. However, please feel free to contact us in 12 months time to see if the situation has changed at all.

Thank you once again for your interest in our Company, and we wish you success in your future endeavours.

SO i will be having my friend who is a female Therapist Fill in an application online and see her responce
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I hate to jump to conclusions, but with a name like "biker bear" you sound like you might groom yourself like a professional wrestler.

I know Steiner prefers petite, young female massage therapists, so your instinct is probably correct.

So Sorry and best of luck.

Maybe, if you sent a picture (assuming you get a professional haircut and don't have tattoos above your shoulders) you woul dhave abetter chance.