Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM
JenReb

Default Couples being placed together?

Does anyone know how often couples are actually hired and placed together? We would not necessarily be working in the same department, he would be in the kitchen and I would be doing one of many other things if given the opportunity....

We are going to a NCL job fair this next week, so hopefully the majority of our questions will be answered there.

Also I was hoping that someone could confirm or deny the feedback I have received from my co-workers, friends and family. Espeically regarding the kitchen, I am being told that they are just worked to the bone. It is a pretty labor intensive positon to begin with, throw in 6-7 day week shifts- 6-8 months straight, you are bound to get sick. Would love the opportunity, but also want to know what's coming at us.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Jenny
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Purser Maria

Default Re: Couples being placed together?

Its rare that a couple will be placed together. You rarely every pick where you want to work and the fact that its a separate department, doesn't make it easier. If you have been working together in the past, the person who has higher rank in their dept, might be able to request to be on your ship or have you to be on their ship, but I know Senior Officers, who still have to wait months, before their girlfriends can move over to be on their ship. its not a career for couples necessarily. I'm not telling you this to discourage you, but its tough to be with a boyfriend or husband.
Old August 21st, 2005, 01:50 AM
JenReb

Default Re: Re: Couples being placed together?

Thanks for the reply Maria,

I am crossing my fingers hoping we will be able to pull it off. I am not easily discouraged! My plan of attack was to sell us as a package to the cruise lines we send out our info to. Don't know if that will work, but spending any extended lenght of time away from each other is not an option. I figured we would concentrate on getting him a position and then get me on board the same ship since my experience is broader than his and can be applied to many different postions...speaking of, maybe you can advise me- Please read below-

So you are a purser.....woud you mind telling me a little about your position? There are many positions that I am intrested in, my experiece is very broad, ranging from being a cook, baker, bartender, server, event planer, catering manager and currently I manage the largest office coffee service in North America. My current position has me dealing with a client population of 9,000+, in mutiple locations and cities, responbilities heavy on excellent customer service, accounting, people management, distibution, inventory management, cost control.....it goes on....and on.... So you see my dilema- what positon should I really look into? I would prefer to stay in management, but I understand that since I do not have any previous experiece on a crise line or in hotels that I might have to start from the bottom. Would prefer not to go back to hourly for two reasons- I really like being my own boss and the pay is a factor as well.

Hope that wasn't too many questions. Appreciate any time you can give me.

Thanks again.

Jenny
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Couples being placed together?

Hey...

Its so hard being a couple on the ships...
I work in the pursers office and my boyfriend is a photographer.
I spend my whole time hoping and preying that we will not be seperated.
The cruiseline are not really very bothered about couples, more about where they need you to work...
I think we will leave after this contract together. We just hate the idea of somebody ekse being in control of our relationship and whether we can be together or not....

Not a good life for couples....no