Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Beginner

Default working for MSC

Has anyone worked for or know anything about working for this company? I have been working for Princess but looking for a change. how are entertainers accomodations? where are most of the crew from, are they mainly italian?? I am not italian and dont speak Italian would i fit in?? Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: working for MSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattsmitt
Has anyone worked for or know anything about working for this company? I have been working for Princess but looking for a change. how are entertainers accomodations? where are most of the crew from, are they mainly italian?? I am not italian and dont speak Italian would i fit in?? Thanks for your help!!
Any ship that caters to US passengers in the Caribbean (as these do) will use English as the lingua franca on board, but I would expect the staff to be almost all Italian. MSC is headquartered in Genoa, not the USA like most cruise lines you have heard of. This is not a luxury line, it sells cruises for less than Carnival and NCL in the Caribbean right now. It is a good line, but you can do better.

You have experience (which is gold in this industry) and can probably pick your posts. Do not settle for a sideways step when you could see the world in luxury. If you want a change go to one of the luxury cruise lines like Silversea, Radisson, Crystal or Seabourne.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Passenger

I have a few friends working on MSC, and I used to work for Festival a similar style company (In fact MSC bought half their ships when the company collapsed). So...
There are in fact mostly Italian officers. A lot of eastern Europeans (Romanians, Hungarians etc.) British entertainers last time I looked, British, South African, whatever photographers.
Basically, the crew are from all over and everyone speaks English.
Compared to Princess, the cabins are about the same (I also worked on the Diamond Princess). The atmosphere is more laid back. The crew are more interesting, being more varied.
Basically lucky you. I quit after two months working for Princess, because they compared so poorly to Festival, I'm sure MSC are so much better.
Word of warning though, I think entertainers on MSC have to do embarkation, which they didn't do when I was on Princess...

Rachel