Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:12 PM
Passenger

Default When to apply??

I first want to say thanks to everyone who posts info on getting jobs on cruise ships. Its all great stuff and very helpful. I did have a question that I didnt see anything on in any of the threads. I am graduating college in May and will be ready to leave immediately for work on a ship as a purser if I can get a position. So when should I start applying? I could do it now and just put my availability for May or should I wait until a month or so before graduation? How long does the process take? And also, I cant remember what I had heard but for the interview process, do they mostly do it over the phone or do you have to fly to them? I am in Texas. Thanks for the help again!
Rachelle
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: When to apply??

I actually think it is better to wait until about 3 months out (so February). If it is too far out they are not planning yet.

Keep in mind, they often need people at the last minute, so if you apply early they might ask you if you can go right away. For this reason you can apply early, but keep in mind your chances of getting a job are probably better once you are free to go.

That being said, they do both, hire in advance and at the last minute. For example, I was hired my first time for 10 weeks out, and then got a call after 3 weeks asking if I could leave right away.

The next contract was "can you start right away." and I was on a ship within 3 weeks of sending in my application. My third contract was set up to start just one week after my previous contract for a different cruise line ended.

So, you can see that when it happens it can happen quickly.

Also, I was not a shoppie. I was a stage manager.
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Beginner

Default hi good question

Hi, Thats a good question. I would like to know myself being in a similar position. Could you please email me if you get any replies?

Thanks
Anna

email: spiralite_100@hotmail.com
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I was hired over the phone 2 out of 3 times. Only once on the first time did I need to interview personally . Keep in mind, I had ship experience the second 2 times.

I suggest you send the most complete initial package you can, including your resume, a cover letter and even a picture. Of course they don't ask, but we know they want to hire attractive people, so if you have fair looks take advantage of it. Be sure to target your resume to the job you are seeking. Also be sure the cover letter shows that you understand what the job is like (long hours, months on board with no break, living in close proximity to others, etc...) and that you have no problems with that.
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Thanks Paul... You've been really helpful. I saw you on Thorn Tree by the way...
I did want to send a picture with my package but I wasnt sure if that was something that was acceptable. Good to know. It seems that it would be easier for them to hire you over the phone if you do send a picture also. Should I expect to pay the expenses if they want an in person interview? I wont graduate now (I just met with my advisor) until after the summer session. I wouldnt think that cruise ships necessarily have a busier season as far as hiring goes so I guess it wont matter. I'll probably apply then in April or May as I'll be finished in July.
Are there opportunities for advancement from a purser position?
I am keeping a notebook of all the good advice I've received about getting this position so I hope you dont mind that I've added yours. Thanks again!
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleTX
Thanks Paul... You've been really helpful. I saw you on Thorn Tree by the way...
What is thorn tree?

Quote:
Should I expect to pay the expenses if they want an in person interview?
It shows you have confidence and the means to "take care of business" if you act as if you are comfortable paying for such a trip. If it is a stretch for you, you can ask if they will reimburse you if they hire you, and you can ask something like "Can I assume my chances are pretty good if you are asking me to fly in for an interview?"

Quote:
Are there opportunities for advancement from a purser position?
There are always opportunities for advancement on cruise ships and a lot of people change jobs. Chief Purser is a top position on a cruise ship, but you would start out as an assistant purser or maybe even something lower. A lot of people go into other areas like shore tours or onboard cruise sales. I have seen dance teams become art auctioneers. Once you get in the life it is pretty easy to manuever.
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Passenger

Thorn Tree is Lonely Planet's message board... you had posted a link to this site on there.

Thanks again for all the help... I hope that I'm able to get a position on a ship... your advice has been great.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you. I wondered if anyone would see that :-)