Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Passenger

Default how old to work on a cruise?

How young can you be to work on a cruise???
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Passenger

Most cruise lines prefer staff to be 21 or over. Some do recruit over 18's but that's generally the limit, although on my second ship there was a 17 year old girl singer, and later a singer/pianist who was 17, but they were exceptions.
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:24 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakelaki
Most cruise lines prefer staff to be 21 or over. Some do recruit over 18's but that's generally the limit, although on my second ship there was a 17 year old girl singer, and later a singer/pianist who was 17, but they were exceptions.
I am really interested in working on a cruise ship. I am 14, and I am in my 4th year of playing trombone. By the time I go through High School, i will be playing trombone for 8 years, and possibly another 4 for college which would add up to 12 years. Is there any certain classes I should be taking for this kind of a career?

Thanks-

- Dude
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Passenger

You'd really have to ask a musician who's done this type of work. I think it depends on what kind of music you play, I imagine that jazz is more useful than classical for example. Most of the musicians on the ships are lounge-style performers, small bands with a singer, solo pianists or guitarists, playing easy listening music (Barry Manilow/Bert Bacharat) or jazz/blues.
Put a new post to ask, I reckon there must be a few musicians among the people who read this board.
Sorry I can't help more
Rachel
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Become VERY proficient, very versatile and be a quick study. You will be working with different entertainers and different programs constantly. You will need to effectively improvise. Watching the skilled band members on my cruise gave me a great appreciation of how much farther my 14 year old daughter (trumpet/clarinet/sax) has to go before she is the professional she hopes to be one day. I would think all the workshops, camps etc that you can attend would be helpful, as well as private tutoring. Of course, this is the prep for any professional career, which is what you wish for. Get a lot of experience with your local community musical groups, and I would suggest also musical drama etc as a good training ground. The show band on my ship was everywhere, accompanying every act(it seemed), backing up musicians, magicians, hula dancers. . .they were a very skilled group. Frankly, all the band members were male, and seemed at least 30'ish, but I don't imagine they care as long as you have the skill, talent and experience that they need.

Good luck-its wonderful to work for a goal!