Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Default Just got hired as an assistant cruise director, got question

Just got hired on Holland America as an assistant cruise director. I am so scared and excited at the same time. Anyone have any suggestions for me to prepare, luckily I am not leaving for a month and a half so I have a little time to prepare.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

From a cruiser standpoint, get out there and be seen. Introduce yourself to as many people as you can. Make yourself stand out somehow! A new hair style, a great smile and keep the cruisers involved, what appears to be the silliest activity to you may be a great ice breaker for cruisers to get people to know one another. I met an activities director at a resort in Cabo San Lucas and if not for her (Andrea), it would have just been a boring beach vacation!!

More importantly, the days at sea, move as many activities as possible out to the deck stage, even bingo! Whatever silly water games you can think of - use them... the happier the cruisers, the more they buy too....

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Passenger

pinky25 wrote:
Quote:
I am so scared and excited at the same time.
Do you mean to say you don't have previous experience? Why are you scared?
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Thanks Cana, very good points. You are so right about the silly things always seem to be the best it is weird how that works.

Seastar-This will be my first time at sea working I am a young 22 year old, fresh out of college I have experience in this type of work, but technically I haven't done this exact thing before. I think I am scared because it is something new. Its like the first day of school you are excited and want to see all your friends from the previous year, yet scared and have to pick out the right outfit for the first day. So yeah hope that made sense. Looking forward to meeting new, fun people.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme
Default Connect with people

I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas for activities, but my suggestion is to be genuine and find small ways to connect with passengers. Comment on the sports or colleges or towns mentioned on their shirts/hats, greet people who catch your eye in the halls,etc... Sometimes I think cruise directors come across as phony, and that's a big turnoff. So, remember a genuine smile or hello goes a long way. Have a great time!
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Admiral

If the passengers are of an older set?
Try getting games like bobbing for apples and older style games onto the menu?
It should bring back lots of good / old memeories .

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Pinkey - read though this entire message board and you will learn all you ned to know. I worked on the Holland America cruise staff for about a year and I think you will find them to be very nice people.

My advice - have confidence in yourself, be outgoing, don't be "microphone-shy" or say things like "I can't do that" when it comes to being in the public eye.

Pay attention to detail - watch how other people do things you will be doing, take notes, be prompt. Never take anything for granted. If you are unsure about something double-check.

Remember that your hire-ups are people. Talk to them, be social, let them get to know you. When I went onboard people told me "The Dutch are reserved people, introduce yourself." Well, frnakly I found that the officers didn't really care who I was.

Mostly you should spend your time with the cruise staff - I personally recommend you not get caught up socializing outside of your onboard peer group, it just complicates your life. I have seen young ladies come on board, get a European waiter for a boyfriend, get caught up in late-night partying, and soon they are looking for another job.

Keep your focus on your job first at all times and you will do just fine.
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Chances are, on HAL, you'll have mostly an older crowd. Keep that in mind but don't forget the minority either.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Pinkey25, WOW! Your first job on a cruise ship and you're the Assisstant Cruise Director, CONGRADULATIONS!

You said you just got out of college, where did you go and what did you take if you don't mind me asking. You replied to one of my posts and someday I want to work on a cruise ship in the cruise staff.
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Beginner

I hope you like BINGO. On the Grandeur there was bingo running twice a day most days.

jarrod
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I sail out tomorrow wish me luck!