Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Beginner

Default Cruise ship jobs/ physical?

I saw a ad in the paper for Norweigan looking for people for there cruise ships. I have never worked on a cruise ship before and have some experience working in restaurants but not much. One of the positions they where looking for is a dishwasher. I have worked as a dishwasher before but probably not with one of those big machines they use on a cruise ship. Another is a bellman but I have never worked in a hotel before. I know I might be considered for a dishwashing postion but do they ever hire someone as a bellman without prior experience. I am not too crazy about being a dishwasher though. I guess it might be a good experience though. But I mean everyone says they want you to have experience to be a bellman so how do you get experience? Is it something you have to work your way up? Is that possbile to do on a cruise ship? Or anything working with people is fine, Sorry I got off track!
So I heard they make you take a physical when they hire you. What does it involve? Is is basic or a complete one?
Thanks in advance for any answers anyone has to any of my questions!
Peace, Danny
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The important thing is your availability and willingness to do the job.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Danny,

First thing is that both dishwasher and bellman are typically "crew" jobs, which means long hard hours and not a lot of money or port-time, these types of job are usually filled by Asians or East Europeans, people who actually find the money good compared to what they could make at home, in other words. As an American you'd probably find that it's just not worth your while. I'd suggest you look at "staff" positions, ie animator, receptionist, shop staff, if you've any experience in any of those types of jobs, like Paul says, availability and enthusiasm are the most important.

As for the physical, I don't know what the procedure is for NCL specifically, but for most companies it's a very very complete physical, blood tests, HIV tests, drug tests, X-ray, ECG...the lot.

Hope this helps,
Rachel.