Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Default Is it true that Carnival will sometimes hire 18 yr. olds?

I heard somewhere that most cruise lines will only hire people over 23, but recently I heard Carnival will sometimes hire 18yr. olds. Is this true? If so is there any requirements that an 18 yr old would have to meet to get hired differently than an older person (20's). Is any job open to the 18 yr olds as well, or is it only a specific job? When would be the best time to apply as wel? If someone could answer these questions, or at least one, it would be of great importance. Thank you.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Passenger

This probably doesn't help you much, since I assume you are 18, but I just got hired by Holland America and I am 22, but the person who interviewed me never asked my age until I was hired. Most likely if you are qualified age shouldn't matter, but don't quote me on that. The best time to apply is anytime, the cruiselines are always looking for good quality people. It just might be hard being that your 18 because you might not have as much experience as say someone that is older. I start my first position in mid July, never done this before, but my resume has similar things that I suppose helped me get the position. Best of luck to you though.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Passenger

pinkey25, what job are you going to have on the ship? And what did you previously do in order to have some experience in similar fields? Any tips on what I should do? Thanks.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Our teen editor is just 18 and Carnival hired him for a stint as teen coordinator. Of course, he has a lot of cruise knowlege (having worked for CruiseMates) and has shown himself to be dependable.

A contract like is often for a relatively short time, however, as little as a week to maybe 2 months. Longer contracts come with more experience.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Beginner

I worked for carnival when I was 19, although that was quite a few eons ago.
It depends on what job you are applying for. Stiener (hair/spa), Youth Staff and Dancers are often still employed under 21.
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:54 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

What about musicians? Can you be 18 and be a quality musician and work aboard a ship?

-Ewokdude
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM
First Mate

as long as you fufill the qualifications. You need to be a STRONG!!!!! reader since many of the headliners rehearsal in the afternoon for that nights shows, and the charts always vary in quality. I've known people who've literally auditioned by playing over the phone . . . but when it comes down to it, if after your first couple of days, the MD will know if you can cut it or not. I worked with a college group who did summers as a jazz quartet - but the had the gig to back up the talent show . . . and they weren't always familiar with some of the old standards and kinda . . sucked at that . . . but . . .

I don't remember 18 year olds . . but I do remember many 19-21 year old musos.

check out http://www.proship.com/
http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions...cl/careers.asp

[/url]
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz
as long as you fufill the qualifications. You need to be a STRONG!!!!! reader since many of the headliners rehearsal in the afternoon for that nights shows, and the charts always vary in quality. I've known people who've literally auditioned by playing over the phone . . . but when it comes down to it, if after your first couple of days, the MD will know if you can cut it or not. I worked with a college group who did summers as a jazz quartet - but the had the gig to back up the talent show . . . and they weren't always familiar with some of the old standards and kinda . . sucked at that . . . but . . .

I don't remember 18 year olds . . but I do remember many 19-21 year old musos.

check out http://www.proship.com/
http://www.royalcaribbeanproductions...cl/careers.asp

[/url]
Wow thanks for those sites. I am a trombone player, and I have been playing for 4 years. By the time I am 18, I plan to be playing for 8 years, and hopefully that is enough experience.

-Ewokdude