Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lil917hi
Default jobs with cunard

so i've been trying to get a job with cunard for two years now in any and every department from housekeeping to entertainment and have had absolutely no luck. in the meantime i've signed contracts with both ncl and celebrity as a youth counselor to gain experience to hopefully become a more desirable candidate in the eyes of cunard- but they STILL don't want me. i've heard from friends onboard that cunard just simply doesn't hire americans...is this true? anybody have any advice? i'm starting to lose hope
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM
First Mate

The only Americans I've known to work for Cunard are theater lighting technicans that were recruited through C-deck.com. If you don't know by now, many of the cruise lines 'outsource' the hiring process through hiring partners (didn't you go through one with Celebrity?). C-deck handles the US market for many lines - check them out and see if they can advise you as to why you're having a problem getting in . . . .

(some of their info is kinda dated, and their forums dead, but you might try sending a resume - they've called me twice in the past five years, but I have a specialized skill . . )
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Interesting. Cunard now works closely with Princess out in California. I would think about at least enquiring with Princess to see if they are doing any hiring for Cunard.

Cunard is pretty much a British company, but they have been through a lot of management changes in the last two years. Anything could happen.

Why do you want to work at Cunard so badly?
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Passenger

thanks for the advice sz and paul.

sz- i've worked with c-deck before during the interviewing process with celebrity so i emailed them asking if they were doing any hiring.

and paul- i've been applying to princess ever since they took over management of cunard without any luck. i guess its not really even so much that i want to work for cunard specifically--but my cruising career started as a passenger on the qe2 and i'd love to get back onboard before they retire her and unfortunately that day is coming sooner and sooner. i love that ship- the history, the tradition, the atmosphere- and i also love shiplife and as corny as it sounds i guess i'd like to give back to the ship that started my love of shiplife in the first place if given the chance. persistance is key so i'll just keep applying.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Interesting perspective. I worked on the Norway, another classic liner, and I always wanted to go back to her, but as a passenger.

If there is one company that has been an enigma to me it is Cunard. Unfortunately, I have not sailed on them (exceot when they had the Royal Viking Sun in 96). I love the Queen Mary Museum in Long Beach.

I certainly do intend to sail on Queen Mary II some day.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Hi there as above Cunard are now working in the same office as Princess.

I have a contact name & tel number for Cunard

Karen Price 02380655709.

I'm still trying to get a job onboard too!! feel like I've sent a million CV's & application packs!! I'm just gonna keep getting on at them so they remember me & know that I'm keen!!
Good Luck!

oh I've also got the address to send CV's etc

Keren Price
Personnel Dept
Cunard Cruises
Richmond House
Terminus Terrace
Southampton
SO14 3PN

Byeeeee!!!
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Just found out that an ex-NCL friend of mine who has been with Princess got 'lent' to the QM2 for a contract (for the same job) - He is an Aussie, though . . . any update from C-Deck?
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Passenger

hey everyone!

thanks again for the advice and contact information! no word just yet from c-deck- although i haven't contacted them again since you first suggested to sz. although! you'll all be happy to hear i might have a shot with princess as a computer instructor through sixth star--and we all know who princess is working with now don't we

i can't complain really- i have two great jobs already with ncl and celebrity and i'm truly thankful for those. if i'm meant to have the job with cunard i'll get it one day.

good luck to you Linz- let me know how its going!
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to cruisemply1000
Default question on how did you apply

How did you apply? And is it the same for all the other cruises? And why Cunard? Because I'm trying to apply to all of them until hired :o
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Default i think you still have a shot.....

theres a number of americans workin on board QM2... just kip on tryin
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:20 AM
Passenger

Hi again. Just thought I'd keep you all upto date on my progress - I've got an interview with Princess on 29/09/2006 which is next friday & I cannot wait.

I'm starting to get nervous about it & i really really really want it!!

if anyone can give me any good advice on what to maybe expect i would be really greatful.

thanks bye.

Linz
xxxx
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Passenger

paul wrote:
Quote:
Why do you want to work at Cunard so badly?
Now this is just a question, a simple question out of genuine curiosity. Paul, didn't you (or maybe it was someone else) said that the more luxurious the Cruise Line the better the salaries? if that's so, wouldn't it be natural to want to work for one of the most luxurious cruise lines?

I mean, that is the reason I am now applying at Silversea. If I'm going to be doing the same type of job and another cruise line will pay me more I would want to work for the one that pays best.

Sincerely,

me