Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Beginner

Default Shipboard Trainer Info

Has anybody had any experience with this position and/or knows anyone personally in this position? I have an interview for it and would like to know basically:

Is it like a 5 day a week 8 hour position?
Any special privileges?
Also what salary range should I expect if I'm selected for the position?

Gosh! This is like my monster.com for ship positions so we can research stuff like this!
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Guess what? There are no 5 day a week - 8 hour a days positions on a ship

Most of the jobs are 7 days a week, and you might get the occasional evenings or afternoons free . . . and this is everyone from the bosuns 'swabbing the deck' to the captian!

The T&D job . . . you'd always be on duty turnaround day, processing departing and new crew members, then the same day and next for 'new joiner' training sessions, then the rest of the cruise for the ever present and on-going staff and crew trainings.

It's a good status job - meaning a 3 stripe officer on par with the cruise director, F&B manger, Bar Manger, etc and most of the management staff. Your own cabin with a porthole, dining and bar privileges most staff/crew don't have. Three-stripes comes with added responsiblities, like being part of the weekly ship inspection team, or on rotation for night duty manager.

Salary range is probably about 25% less than the HR Manager
http://www.rccl.hospitalityjobs.hcar.../jobs?all=true
Nice thing about anything 2 1/2 stripe and above positions is that it's paind 4/2, which means for every four months you work, you're paid 2 months salary when you end your contract, so in theory, paid year around (assuming you're interviewing for the same company as the HR manager listing?)

good luck and let us know how you do!
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Beginner

Default Update

So far I've made it through the pre-qualification interview and the phone interview from the Hiring Agents and met the fleets' T&D Manager. I'm supposed to have an answer this week after tests are graded and interviews are evaluated. Wish me luck! (A couple of the interviewees said that I really impressed them so hopefully it worked on the interviewer too!)
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Congrats Trinicuite!!!!
I am sure you will do just fine - Caribbean people always make GREAT impressions.
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM
Beginner

Drat!!!

Well I didn't get the job. They told me that they had me in the top 4 but they only needed 3 people so they chose some others. I thought at first that they were just telling me that to make me not feel so bad, but I found out that they did not even call some of the other people who didn't make it!!!

Anyway, what they said is that because of my personality they'd rather not "waste" me in a training position (are trainers that grim??) but have offered me my choice of positions in Guest Relations - Hostess, Purser, Port Lecturer etc. I can even choose from Crew Relations, Purser as well.......Never mind that I am a trainer and am more qualified for that position than some of the others! So...now I've got to get info on all these other positions so I can make a decision....

Here we go again!!!
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
First Mate

It's weird they don't want to 'waste' you. You'd thing they'd want someone vivacious to be in front of people?

Out of what you say they're offering you . . . The port lecturer might be the most lucrative (though I thought those positions are outsourced to
http://www.onboard.com

With many purser positions - you're right in the 'firing line' of customer complaints. Would you be willing to deal with that?

Hostess is a fun position. Kind of like a social secretary to the cruise director and captain (though my line got rid of this one and it's become a admin or sectrtarial position)

See if they'll give you the salary range and status of these positions. AND if you get a room to yourself!!!

PS - I'd go for the port lecturer or crew relations first
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Beginner

yeah...it just proves that you CAN be too sparky!!

Most of the other people seemed to be a great deal older and their style I would describe as more dry and a bit comatose but maybe that's what they are looking for. One of the people who'd worked on a ship said maybe they picked people who wouldn't make waves (no pun intended). Who knows how these things work!!??!!

The training position would have been right up my alley because I eventually want to travel to either China or Japan to teach ESL. Of course I have wanted to work on a ship since I was 20 which is over a decade ago!!! so I'm thinking that I should take one of the positions on offer and slide across if I can. I would think the most hassle free positions would be the ones with the least passenger contact but that might not always be so. Customer complaints are not a problem for me...I've worked in CS for ages.

The waiting game is on again because they are not interviewing for those positions until December/January so I have lots of time to think about it until then!!! Wish me luck!