Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Computer related positions

Hello All

Could someone please tell me what computer related positions there are aboard a cruise ship?

I've read some sites, that discuss the role of the IS Manager, or Computer Officer, which seem to be very similar roles ( except for different companies ).

Is this the only computer/IT related position onboard - surely there needs to be more than one person to manage a small floating city worth of computers?
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:19 AM
First Mate

It depends on the size of the ship. I don't remember from my NCL days, but RCCL has a minimum of 2 on the smaller ships, 3 on VY class and I've seen 4-5 for special installations and dry docks. One is always the manager. The only other IT type gig is the ITV (interactive TV), but I don't think that's as well paid.

Two to three is usually fine for the size of the operation. It they run into any serious issues, they bring in the vendors who sold them the systems, or service contractors - who are usually based at the turnaround ports. As I remember, the IT guys don't deal much with the navigational or engineering areas . . .

I just found this blog last week - It's done by an onboard IT guy and is one of the best blogs on what it's like to work on a ship.

http://crewoffice.blogspot.com/
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for that sz

I had a look at his blog, and it seems to be more towards general cruise staff than IS specific.

I was particularly interested in the fact that his previous roles were mainly Purser roles, as opposed to IT roles.
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Admiral

I work for Sun MicroSystems, and we have systems aboard the Carnival ships. I board, and repair our systems (Sun) here in Tampa while the ships are in port. It seems to me that there are usually two IT people aboard, however these are not the largest ships. I think about 70,000 tons are the largest they can get under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in order to get in to the Port of Tampa. Good luck!

Ken
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Skymaster

I never really considered it from the shoreside support point of view. How often would you have to board a ship to maintain the Sun Systems. Would it be more hardware maintainance, or general SysAd stuff?

Without revealing too much about Carnivals systems ( which I assume you're not allowed to ), what would your typical maintainance event consist of? How does the systems being aboard ships compare to the land based systems you maintain? Does the fact that the systems are aboard moving vessals affect your job much?

I suppose the ships standing still when you do your job, but I'm just trying to imagine racking a T2000 in the open seas.