Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Default My Resume (What do you think?)(Where can I improve?)

Hey all, after lingering around the boards for a while, I finally joined so that I could start posting! I just wanted to post my resume on here so that maybe you guys/gals could tell me where I need to improve. Dont worry about being rough on me, I would rather know!

I would like to get a dj gig on one of the cruise lines, here is my res. what do you think? Thanks p.s this would be the resume that I would send through email.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brandon T. Akers

OBJECTIVE: Obtain DJ/Cruise Staff position with (Cruise Line).

SUMMARY: - More than 3 years experience as Club DJ.
- DJ Internship with mainstream radio station.
- Previous emcee experience. (audiences 60+)
- Completed college Public/Professional Speaking courses.

EDUCATION: General Courses
Alexandria Technical College
- Public Speaking
- Professional Communications
General Diploma
Cambridge Isanti High School

EXPERIENCE: Club DJ 2005-2006
Buga Boo Bay Alexandria, Minnesota
- Club Atmosphere
- 18+ Nights (Top 40/Hip Hop/Pop)
- 21+ Nights (Top 40/Hip Hop/Dance)

Radio DJ Internship 2006
104.7 KCLD Leightons Broadcasting St.Cloud, Minnesota
- Perform Radio Broadcating Tasks
- Host Radio Station Events (Concerts)
- "On Air" w/Wayne D

Mobile DJ 2003 -2004
Mobie Beats Entertainment Minneapolis, Minnesota
- DJ at: Employee Parties, Birthday Parties,
School Dances ect.

Lifeguard
Big Splash Waterpark Alexandria, Minnesota
- Ensure Safety of Guests
- Train New Lifeguards
- Provide Guest Service for patrons

CERTIFICATIONS : - CPR American Red Cross
- AED American Red Cross
- First Responder EMSRB
- Lifeguard Certification

Thank You for reviewing my resume!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what did you think?

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Succulent and to the point.

I'd need to see it in a Word ( or some other Rich Text ) format, before I could say, but I think you may have to do some work in the formatting. Unless DJ staff are hard to come by, a potential employor is probably going to look at each CV for about 3 seconds before moving on to the next one.

You have that three seconds to prove that your CV is worth another look.

I also notice that you've omitted your contact info / address / etc - I'm assuming that is because you're posting to a public forum, but don't forget about it when sending it for real.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Beginner

Default It worked!

First off thank Arion for the reply, and yeh I left out the contact info because of public forum! There are some "Real Winners" out there!!

Second apparently it worked, I sent it to a few cruise lines yesterday and within a half hour I got two emails for interviews. Now I just have to do some research to see which lines are better. I dont quite know if I want to be a dj on Disney Cruise lines.hmmmm we'll see!

Brandon
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
First Mate

I've known a few people who've worked Disney, (techs and dancers) They say techs are worked to the brink of burn out, and depending on the job, the preformers gig is relatively easy. You do have more of a corporate 'presence' on the ship - home of the rat ! They do have an 'adult only' deck, so I'm guessing that's where the night club(s) would be? But ???? about any other duties (DJ'ing a kids pool party would drive me bonkers!)

Carnival is generally more of a party atmosphere, Holland America/Celebrity have older age demographics, RCCL and Princess are more middle of the road.

Regardless of which one you decide to go with - after one contract, you've at least gotten your feet wet and will have real ship experience on the resume . . . which makes you more attractive to other cruise lines.

good luck!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Beginner

sz good point, I never really thought of it that way. I appreciate your reply.

I have a few phone interviews coming up. And as everyone knows one of the questions that always gets people is, what are some of your weaknesses? Now I know more than anything that I am not by any means perfect. But I still can not think of an answer that sounds decent.

What are some ideas that you more experienced interview gurus' have that you could give me. Maybe it will get me thinking more on the right track.

Have a good remainder of the week!
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Passenger

Default weaknesses

It's always better to list a weakness that isn't too weak. i.e. I tend to get a little too detail oriented at times and that can draw my focus from the bigger picture of the task at hand. (Being detail oriented isn't a bad thing, really, but it shows that you can be hyper-focused. )

Q? what is your solution to that weakness (or how do you address that weakness-probably the very next words out of the interviewers mouth here)
A: I set realistic goals based on the task and move through them in as efficient a manner as possible.

This way, not only do you have a weakness but a solution for your hyper anal attentiveness. Not bad huh?

Another good way to phrase this is: I tend to be extremely dedicated to the task at hand. (This is the same statement as above just put in a more common language)

I know there are other ways to highlight "weaker" weaknesses. And be sure that your strengths don't come across like you are blowing smoke up your own stack, know what I mean? Don't come across as pompous. Just confident. Sit down and really practice your answers before the scheduled interviews!

Wish I had more to offer but the full effect of my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, and it's been a few years since I have had an interview.

Good luck!
Lady Di
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:42 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks

Lady Di You ROCK! That sounds really professional! I am going to sit and practice ways that I can personalize that.

Really answered my question!

Regards,

Brandon
Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

When it comes to choosing a job, I suggest you look for a cruise line that doesn't repear the same itnerary over & over. Or else one where if you are going to stay a few years they have enough ships that you can go different places. Doing the same trip week after week can get old quickly.

As far as weaknesses go, get very sincere and say"sometimes I wish I wasn't such a people pleaser," or say you are a neat-freak. That way you don't sound like you are just avoiding the question.

Also - you are a good looking, intelligent young guy, have you thought about a cruise staff position. I would mention that in the interview, even if you don't mean it, because it will make you look serious about shipboard life and hard-work.

The DJs they don't really want to hire are the ones who just want to spin the discs and party at night, and then sleep late the whole next day. But if you act like you really want to get involved with staff activities, etc., they will really like you.