Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Passenger

Default Hey, Paul Motter.....

I don't suppose your leaving HAL had anything to do with Bill Prince of Ken Albano did it?

I used to be a cruise director for HAL..... so happy to be out of there. If HAL knew about Bill's storage warehouse in FL with items HAL paid for on its new builts that Bill has stashed away, he would probably go to jail.

Wayne T. can give you all of the details (or Ken, when he's drunk like he did at a party in Las Vegas.)
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Jimbo...

Wow, feel like dishing a little dirt?

I have met Bill a few times, once during my job and a few times since I left, and I didn't sense that he liked me very much especially when I worked for them, and not so much afterwards when I asked him some tough questions as a journalist. But I honestly think the entertainment on HAL is now better than before he took over. The last show I saw on the Westerdam was the best I had seen on HAL yet.

I know nothing about any warehourse he has, can't verify that.

I can tell you, cruise line entertainlent used to be a very shady area, and probably still is in some ways. I had another boss (different line) who was fired for taking kickbacks from entertainers he placed on ships.

These days ships allocate a LOT of money to onboard entertainment, and a lot of it is so arcane it would take a professional technician to double-check the accounting. Like what is a ________ (insert technical model number of a stage laser here) and how much do they cost ($1000s), and do we have 8 or 10 installed on any one ship?
Old August 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Speaking of a HAL cruise directors, I can tell you about one I personally did not like, and the feeling was shared by many staffers. I don't know where he is now, but I think he is out there somewhere.

Why didn't they like him? He was known for playing people one against the other. Instead of a merit system based on work, it was whether you were his buddy or not.

I went to him with a problem I had with my assistant stage manager who refused to help with my daytime duties when I was loading in a new show and working 11:00 pm to 5:30 am every morning. This guy (who is now a stage manager for HAL) told me he wouldn't "do my job for me", when I was the boss and at the time pulling double duty.

So, I went too him to tell him my assistant was refusing to do what I asked him to do.

He told me he couldn't help me because the guy was the head of the "Filipino Mafia" onboard. I was like, "what? I'm talking about my job with Holland America cruise staff, and you are talking some below deck politics that only matters to the other Filipinos as if that even relates to me at all?"

I don't even believe there is a Filipino Mafia onboard a HAL ship, and if there is, I certainly don't want to know anything about it. But there was my Cruise Director telling me about it like Im supposed to be impressed with my underling for being in it. Makes me wonder why he was so concerned about it - was he in it, too? (hhmmm Spanish surname)

Anyway - no one on the cruise staff liked this guy, yet he had the main office snowed. So typical of people with forked tongues.