Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sunset1823
Default MMD card

Hi,
I am trying to find information about the MMD training in Maryland that NCL is requiring their new employees to go through. If you have gone through this or you know anything about it, please share your experience.
Thanks,
Judy
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Passenger

My son leaves Monday for NCLA training in Piney Point, MD so hopefully I can give you some information soon.
Old September 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Passenger

Thanks! That would be great. Good luck to your son!
Judy
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Passenger

My son arrived in Piney Point yesterday. Ask some questions and I'll find out the answer for you.
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Oh my gosh, where to begin? I am curious as to how difficult the training is and what the everyday life is like. Does he have the weekends off? My daughter lives in Maryland and it would be great if she could visit me while I am there.
Although I am 42, I am in pretty good shape and still have most of mental faculties, so I assume I would do fine, but the not knowing is the hard part.
What position have they hired him to do? I would like to work in a gift shop or perhaps in reception.
Any information you can pass on will be great. Thanks!
Judy
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Passenger

Since he just got to PP I haven't heard much from him but I'll get the scoop in the next weeks for you. He was hired at an NCLA job fair to be a 'bell person' in charge of luggage and cabins. That is about the only kind of positions (asst. waiters etc.) they hire at the job fairs. My son actually has a 4 year college degree in computers and a year of experience in that field but has always wanted to work on a cruise ship so figures this is his best chance to get on a ship. He would love to be able to use his computer background so he'll have to see what happens. He is young and was ready for an adventure!
I'll keep you informed..........
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Passenger

My son survived his first week at PP easily. Long days of class with lots of videos but everything so far has been very easy - nothing physical yet. He did have class Sat. AM but the afternoon was free. He has a roommate that is in his 50s so not all young people but he said at 23 he is one of the older ones!
There are around 500 people in various stages of training there. He won't find out until the day before he leaves for Hawaii which NCLA ship he'll be on. I'll let you know how week 2 goes later............he still hasn't started training for his 'job'.
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Passenger

Hey if a man in his 50s can do it, I can!
It sounds like I'll only need help staying awake during all those videos.
Now if NCL would just call..... I'm ready to go!
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Have you been to one of the NCLA job fairs? When our son went to that he was immediately hired and the employment process started. Quite a bit of paper shuffling and a physical. He could have been gone in a month after that if he'd wanted but he did wait a little longer because of the job he had (didn't want to leave them high and dry at a busy time). He hopes after getting on a ship he can interview for other positions since he's heard that's what others do if they are qualified. At least he'll be in Hawaii instead of the midwest this winter!

email me - jkbult1@hotmail.com if you'd like
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM
Passenger

I did go to one of the job fairs, but they were only hiring for housekeeping and wait staff. I don't have any experience in either one of those areas, but instead hope to get hired in guest service or retail.
I understand not being in the midwest in winter, I have goal to be someplace tropical before the first snow.

Judy
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Beginner

My hubby has worked for NCLA for over a year now. His initial MMD was only 1 yr since we were waiting on his green card renewal. He has gone thru getting it extended now.

He has worked on POA and is now on POH.

He averages about 70 hrs a week working, no weekends off, no full days off. He always works at least one shift a day, mostly breakfast on his days off, sometimes breakfast and dinner but is off during lunch. The days are long, starting at 5am and ending anywhere from 10p to 1 am. He has worked his way into the speciality dining so makes a bit more and works longer hours but for the money he likes it.

Life on board is hard, they have 3 to a cabin, and the cabins are small. They must keep their cabin clean or they will be flagged and cannot leave the ship when they have time off. They are not allowed to have more than 2 drinks in the crew bar a night, some ships are more strict than others.

The work is not easy. People quit every day because they cannot take the hours and work.

He is there because he can make more money than working on land and is saving up to pay off bills and start a business and this was the fastest way for it to happen.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Beginner

Default Any news from your son KLB??

KLB,

Have you heard from your son yet? I'm curious about the coast guard training portion and what all is involved. Let me know if you hear anything!

Thanks!
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Passenger

My son 'graduated' from his NCLA training yesterday and is sitting at Piney Point waiting to go to Hawaii. He said the MMD cards are the hold up and they come at random. One guy has been sitting at PP for 3 weeks waiting for his card and others come during the 3 week training time.
He did CPR during one class and the only time he left PP in the 3 weeks was for his fire and swimming training. He said both were easy.
LONG days - he was doing room service many days (6 AM or earlier) and then classes with lots of videos. Sounds like his bell person job will be room service, setting up for banquets, and serving at the past guest parties etc. so he thinks it will be an OK job.
NCLA is very strict about being on time for everything - if you are late you get a 'red card' and don't get to do anything during the free time. Also, miss a class and you retake it the NEXT week.
They did have a test which he passed but if you don't, you stay around another week to retake it - must get 70%.
He is VERY ready to leave PP just because it has been a tiring 3 weeks - he keeps using the word 'crazy' to describe it but survivable. He is anxious to get to Hawaii now and get on a ship. You don't find out til you are sent out which ship you'll be on either.
I'll let you know when that happens!
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default hello

if you do work on ncla you dont go to piney point any more you go to diffrent location and get trained and finish classes on the ship but it is hard work if you are ready