Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:43 AM
Passenger

Default Starboard cruise shops

hi
i just got a e-mail saying i passed the interview for Starboard Cruise shops, i
was wondering how long will it take before they contact me? and they say i have
a base salary of 500$ a month, do you know what the average Commission a person
could get on a cruise shop? and how long are the hours for cruise shops? is it
like 9-9 or like 7am until 6 pm? and i understand that shops are closed at ports, but how long do ships stop at ports for? i have never been a cruise, but i can't wait to travel and i am a hard worker so i am willing to work alot
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sunset1823

Congratulations!
I am still trying to get a job with Starboard, but I have heard that you could work from 9:00 AM til about 10:00 PM; and on the days when you are in port, you will have to be back on the ship to work in the evening. I'm sure that varies from ship to ship, but be prepared to work long days.

May I ask you how you went about getting the job and how long each step took?

Judy
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Passenger

Default Steps

well i live in montreal canada, and well i sent my cv to Cast-a-way and well they called me a week after and they had ppl in montreal for interviews and i went to the interview and i got accepted now i have to wait for a phone call so they can discuss when im leaving and stuff like that!
how old are u and where do u live?
9 am until 10 pm isnt bad, cuz you have to make money by commission so its long but what can u do.
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Passenger

I am 42 and live in the US in Indiana.
I don't think the pay is that bad either, it must not be or there wouldn't be so many people trying to get that job!
I have not tried using cast a way. Do you know if they only work with Canadians?
Do you have previous experience in retail? I only have about 18 months in retail, but about 15 years in customer service, so I hope that will suffice.
I have heard that some places will not do a phone interview and insist that you come to them at your own expense, do you know if this is how Starboard works?
Judy
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Default Hey

Well i am 23 and i have NO EXPERIENCE at all in retaitl, but i have 7 years of customer service experience working as a assistant manager at a movie theatre, so thats why i think they choose me
When i went to the interview there were about 15-20 ppl and all of them had retail experience except for me so i was a bit discouraged cuz i didnt u know.
i had no phone interview, all they said on the phone is what i will be doing on the cruise the salary, and you have to pay ur flight there and if u do the 6 month they will pay for your flight back.
i dont think they work only with canadians
http://www.cast-a-way.com/ go there and send your CV, thats all i did, and i got called a few days later!
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Passenger

Sounds great! I will send it off this week. I will send you a private message with my email if you would like to keep in touch.
Judy
Old November 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Beginner

Hi Morris,
I saw your msg. and just wanna let you know how life on board is and what to be prepared to deal with in the shops.
I have 3 contracts with Starboard and besicaly you work your ass off preaty much. The worst days are the sea days because you might work 16 hours straight. Yes I'm serious. And I don't wan't to make you feel bad, but the money you will make is not that great. I mean knowing you are from Canada, it's obvious you can make more money home.
But I guess you will have to find out from yourself what are you realy looking for?
*Fun, sun, exotic ports, wide selection of international girls and so on... or,
*Good and well payed job (which you won't find on board)
Anyway, if you have any further and more specific questions feel free to ask. Do you know which ship you're going to?.....
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Hello Morris,
congrats on your Job with starboard.I worked with starboard for two years of my six yrs on Cruise and I must tell you it was one of the greatest experiences I ever had.I was lucky to be placed on RCCL ships.When I started the money was great.Now it's not so great but not bad either,It all depends on alot of factors.

1. The cruiseline
2.The ship
3.The clientel
4.Most importantly your Giftshop manager.Honestly if you have a good Manager who knows what He/She is doing that ship can make money.I know that for sure.The Hawaii run is one of the is on of the crapest for making money,but we made alot on there because we had a good manager.

as for the hours,I have never worked 16 hrs straight in the gift shop.
I worked on Four different ships while in the shop.You can get up to 14 hours on the last sea day but that includes your 1hr or 45min lunch and your 1hr dinner.

The gift shop life is great you will enjoy it with the positive attitude.

I can discuss more with you if you'd like.

you can send me a private message with your email address.

take care
all the best
Joe
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Beginner

Default starboard

hello all

i work for starboard and i thingk its the best i have been in F&B on the ships for about 5 years done Manr jobs and all but i love the shops good fun free time and the money is ok it is not a lot but it is ok

greetings
matt
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to destinations Send a message via Yahoo to destinations

I've done 3 contracts on on celebrity with starboard and sea days were 15 hour days----45 min lunch 1 hour dinner sometimes 1 1/2 dinner. LONG days --seems like when you DO have time off there's always something--training--cleaning---locker work---but it was fun but your never free long!!
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Leah

Hi I have also been hired by Starboard thru Cast-a-way in Canada
my interview was in december and I am waiting for my ship assignment,
I have done the unifrom stuff and filled all my paperwork but this waiting is killing me. WOW
I am glad I found this site and I am not the only one with all these questions
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
Beginner

I am not sure of the hours and pay for the gift shop. I apologize but, could you tell me how you went about getting hired. I have mailed and faxed my resume to starboard. Does it take a while to here from them?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Passenger

I worked with starboard for 2 and a half years.It's not the worse company to work for but it's not the best either.Basically working for starboard does'nt have a great impact on you once you get onboard because you abide by the rules and regulations of the cruiseline.

Once you have gone through the application process and have been hired you are placed on a pile until someone comes across your name and remembers that you have acctually applied.You can wait for months and months if you do nothing.

My best bet is which always work is to start calling the head office in Miami and let them know who you are.Ask if they are aware that you have been interviewed and have been offered the position,because trust me there are thousand like you waiting.Let them know that you are ready right away for the next possible availability.

From there you have gotton the ball rolling just make sure that you have an answer.You just have to be aggressive and show your interest or nothing will happen until your file comes up which might be under hundreds.

Just to know how reliable these companies are,I had a collegue who worked in the same shops as me.He had worked with the company for four years before I started.Though paying his wages every month he called the office once for something that he needed.He was told that he does'nt work for starboard and there is no record of him here. Remember he worked with them for the past 4 yrs and being paid by them every month.

So go for it and good luck.

Joe
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Leah

I took your advise and emailed Cast a way and Starboard today to let them know I am ready and waiitng to hear from them for my ship assignment ....Does anyone know if I will hear from Starboar or Cast a way with my first ship assinment
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Hi,
I worked for Starboard for over 2 years on Holland America and i had a great time but be prepared to work your butt off.
I guess the hours you work depend on what cruise line you are on but the sea days are the longest days..

On the sea days you will be working from 8.45am until around 11.30pm if not longer depending on the shop manager.
You will get a lunch break of about 30/45 mins and a dinner break in the evening for about 1 to 2 hrs where you have to get your dinner,get some rest, and change into your evening/formal uniform for the night ahead.

your day will be serving customers,replenishing the stock,folding t-shirts if you're lucky!!! and cleaning. Preparing the next day prmotions which means getting tables ready with stock that are on special the next day.

When in port the shops are shut so you can go ashore unless you have port manning duties which is when you have to stay on board, this will be shared with the team so everyone gets a chance to get off and go ashore.

On disembarkation days be prepared for STORES.. this means the delivery of stock which means you check off all the stock, fill the shops and fill the lockers.. usually a nightmare and no rest at all..

The money is basic and commission is split between all depending on how much money the shops made that cruise. If the shops beat target then that is good but be prepared for deductions of your bar bill as i gaurantee you will become an alcoholic while onboard ...lol

Anyways go and have fun, work ya butt off and enjoy.

xx
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Hello, i have just got a job with Starboard. Has anyone been on the ship Adventurer of the seas (Royal Carribbean)? Or is anyone going there like me ? Is it true commissions are about 500$ a month?
Thanks
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to caribbean chick

Hey guys, I am new to this forum, but this info is just what I was looking for.
Thanks.
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1975
Hi,
I worked for Starboard for over 2 years on Holland America and i had a great time but be prepared to work your butt off.
I guess the hours you work depend on what cruise line you are on but the sea days are the longest days..

On the sea days you will be working from 8.45am until around 11.30pm if not longer depending on the shop manager.
You will get a lunch break of about 30/45 mins and a dinner break in the evening for about 1 to 2 hrs where you have to get your dinner,get some rest, and change into your evening/formal uniform for the night ahead.

your day will be serving customers,replenishing the stock,folding t-shirts if you're lucky!!! and cleaning. Preparing the next day prmotions which means getting tables ready with stock that are on special the next day.

When in port the shops are shut so you can go ashore unless you have port manning duties which is when you have to stay on board, this will be shared with the team so everyone gets a chance to get off and go ashore.

On disembarkation days be prepared for STORES.. this means the delivery of stock which means you check off all the stock, fill the shops and fill the lockers.. usually a nightmare and no rest at all..

The money is basic and commission is split between all depending on how much money the shops made that cruise. If the shops beat target then that is good but be prepared for deductions of your bar bill as i gaurantee you will become an alcoholic while onboard ...lol

Anyways go and have fun, work ya butt off and enjoy.

xx
This brings back memories!!
But no one has mentioned the wipe down nights the last night of the cruise! That also varies depending on your ship and ship manager.

On Holland America we would spend about 1-2 hours cleaning, folding, steaming, cleaning the brass, fixtures and so on.
On Carnival and Royal, it was a lot easier and a bit of a joke compared to Holland, would take no longer than 30mins-1hour.
The last day is the longest, you start at 9am and don't finish until anywhere from 11-12:30am on the busiest day, then have to get up the next day at between 6-7 to get stores on!!
That I don't miss, all the other stuff I do!
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey12 View Post
This brings back memories!!
But no one has mentioned the wipe down nights the last night of the cruise! That also varies depending on your ship and ship manager.

On Holland America we would spend about 1-2 hours cleaning, folding, steaming, cleaning the brass, fixtures and so on.
On Carnival and Royal, it was a lot easier and a bit of a joke compared to Holland, would take no longer than 30mins-1hour.
The last day is the longest, you start at 9am and don't finish until anywhere from 11-12:30am on the busiest day, then have to get up the next day at between 6-7 to get stores on!!
That I don't miss, all the other stuff I do!
Hy,
On what Holland america have be on and when?
By the description you gave i belive you have been on the Eurodam!
I was on the noordam and I can say that yes last night of the cruise is a little hell, but we never finish after 23:15 (dinner in the Lido ) and was at market place, so a lot of work and also a hole window to prepare.

I am now fight to go back, I miss so much, hope to get back as soon as possible.
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello. Congratulations on getting the job! I have an interview with Starboard soon and was wondering if you could give me any advice on what is involved in the interview? They've said you can do an optional promo piece at the end where you promote a product in front of everyone, but I am not sure I want to do it as I don't know what is involved! I've never done promo before! Any tips would be great
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi,i am new on this forum also new
hired within starboard.Can someone be more specific about the monthly salary,base plus commission it will help me a lot.Thanks