Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sunset1823
Default Harding Brothers requirements

Hi All,
I have an interview with Harding Brothers and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the items listed below and where you go to get them. I am in Indiana in the US. Also, I had a yellow fever shot when I was in the military... a few years ago. Do you know how long they last?
Personal Survival Techniques Certificate (PST)
ENG 1or Norwegian Maritime Directorate Medical certificate
Crowd Management
Seaman’s Discharge Book

Thanks,
Judy
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM
Beginner

hi , I'm from new zealand and was like you got the position, the only place i could find was in england apart from the medical which you should be able to get in the us

for a list of doctors you could try steiner which are the other player when it comes to spa work , ask steiner for a list of doctors
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Passenger

My interview is on Oct 10th. I'm not sure if I will have to get all of those things or not, but I wanted to be prepared in the event they decide to hire me.
I hope that I won't have to go to England to get the certificates. I don't mind flying myself over to meet a ship, but not without a guaranteed job.
Are you working for harding now?
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Update:
I had my interview with Harding Brothers today. I think it went pretty well. They answered the questions I mentioned above in this post.

If I am hired, I will need to fly to England then attend two days training in Bristol and two days training in Southampton. Then I will either board my ship there or they will fly me to the port where the ship is docked.

I do not have to obtain any certificates or paperwork from the US, but instead will get it all during those four days of training. However, it can be different for people from other countries other than the US.

During the interview, she mentioned Crystal cruises a couple of times as a possibility of assignment. I think that sounds great! If anyone knows anything about Crystal, please pass it on. Thanks.
Judy
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Default Got the job!

Yea!! I have been offered a job with Harding Brothers, but I'm not sure I will be able to take it.

This is mainly because they expect a lot of cash outlay that I had not expected.

1. I have to provide my own medical coverage. Travel ins. for 8 months could get very expensive.
2. I have to pay for my physical. Not too concerned about that since I have medical coverage now that will probably cover all of it.
3. I have to pay for a Seaman's Discharge Book. This could cost between $50 to $75.
4. I have to pay for my flight over to England to meet the ship, but I expected that, but then once I am there I will have to pay for four days in a hotel while I train. The going price for a hotel in Bristol for two nights, then in Southampton for two nights.. about $90 a night.

Sadly, this isn't everything, but just the tip of the requirements needed to be employed with Harding.

I can deal with most of this, but the medical coverage. Is that the norm? Is any of this the norm? I am willing to go the extra to mile to obtain this job, but my pocket book may not be as willing.

Maybe I should be looking at a regular cruise staff position with NCL instead.

Judy
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Passenger

So will you be moving to start your new job with Harding Brothers.I thoght they only hire from the UK.I worked with Starboard for Two and a half years on one of the best cruise lines RCL.Trust me it can't get any better than this.I wish all the best with your new Job.

Joe
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Passenger

HI Joe,
Thanks for your reply. I too had heard that they usually just hire in the UK, so I felt honored to even interview with them, and I wish that I were going to start my new job, but I'm not sure I can accept the position.

First off, I will have to figure out how to obtain a SCTW95 certificate on my own and out of my own pocket. I will also have to go to Chicago for the physical and pay for that out of pocket as well.
Then there is the expense of the flight over to England and four days in a hotel while I train. All this plus obtaining my own medical insurance while on board is just too much.
Frankly, I don't see how I can afford to accept the position.

I had hoped to be hired by Starboard or Princess to work in one of their shops, but they haven't replied to my requests for employment.

Currently I am trying to get hired on at NCL in the deck steward position. At least with this one I won't have to put out a lot of cash up front and my certification is on them.

I'm not too picky about the job, sure there are certain jobs I don't want to do or I'm not qualified to do, but basically I just want to be given a chance to get my foot in the door.
Judy
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Hello Judy,
one thing you don't want to do is give up.

I don't think you want to work as a deck steward,trust me on that.It was my first job on ships and I get out of it really quickly.The money is not very good and there is not much prospect of change.I worked with both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and they were both Different.I am now trying to get a Job on princess cruises.It was very easy getting to work with starboard.I practically walked write into the office in Miami and requested,Not much people would have my luck..I was hired the same day and was flown to Jamaica the following day to join the largest cruise ship in the world at the time(voyager of the seas) That was the best contract I ever had.The thing with these companies you have to push or else you will not get anywhere.They receive thousands of application per day from all over the world and they are just placed in a pile.What you can do is send in your resume by express mail or recorded delivery,I know it might cost a bit more but in that way it's a guarentee that it will get there safetly and quickly.Then you give them about Two weeks or one week if you are like me,and give them a call.Go through the HR section and find out if they've received your resume.Most times you might get an answer phone, leave a message to have them call you back and remember to take the name on the voice mail.If you don't get a response in one day,you call back right away and let them know that you left a message for such person but you receive no response.You will most likely get through.Then from there you can state you case.Starboard loves applicants with the determination and drive.You have to push or you will not get anywhere. I really think you can land a Job with starboard easy,especailly being from the US.I was so lucky with my first contract with starboard I got to chose my first ship.Keep trying ,don't give up.

all the luck you need

Joe
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Thanks Joe. Believe me, I'm not giving up.

So what was so terrible about the deck steward position?
I have 18 months of retail experience, 15 years of customer service experience, and I am head of the social committee at my current and last job. What position do you think I should try for?

I have applied a couple of times to Starboard through email and more recently, I sent their required application with another copy of my resume through regular certified mail, so they had to sign for it. I did that about two weeks ago, no word from them yet.

So far the only people I know that have worked for Starboard are males. And here I thought my age would be the problem.

I would like to work for princess as well, I have read quite a bit about working on a cruise ship and have yet to find anything negative from a former or current crew member in the princess line. Although I have heard a lot of good about RCCL as well.

The reason I am trying to get on with is NCL is just to get the certifications taken care of, then I can concentrate on getting a better contract after my first tour.

Six months is not a very long time, so unless the job you get is the worst thing in the world, you just put up with it and try for something better next time. I look at it this way... no place to go, but up!
Judy
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Passenger

Hey Guys,
I have just been offered an interview with Princess Cruise Lines three weeks from now for the position Of Junior Assistant Purser.I am really looking foward to it.Has anyone here worked in this position beforeso they can offer me some tips on what the job is all about. I would like to hear from anyone with info.

Thanks

Joe
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Hey shipmate,
Have you had your interview yet? If so, how did it go?
Judy