Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Beginner

Default Coast Guard Training Week for the MMD

For those of you would have received your MMD, did you find the "Coast Guard" training difficult? I have recently lost a lot of weight, but still have not faced the public in the dreaded "bathing suit". Is there specific training that requires you to wear a suit, and if so can women wear swim shorts? What was the most physically demanded part of the training? Has anyone completed the training who is not a size 8??
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Beginner

Default No Replies

I see my post has been looked at, but no replies. Anyone out there who has any information, please reply! Thanks!
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sunset1823

There is a post about half way down the "crewmember" page called "MMD Card" that has some information on it about the training.

From what I have heard, I think most anyone could handle the training.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Beginner

Default Thank you

Thank you for your reply!! I did read the comments, but was still curious about the actually physical tasks that are required to pass the training.

Thanks again!
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Beginner

Calmness my dear...all is well for I potentially have good news for you: you can wear a shirt over your swimsuit for the test if you would like. I'm sure that boardshorts or the like would also be fine. In fact, when I took it for NCLA, they almost preferred that you did wear a shirt to simulate real-life circumstances. The training really isn't all that hard. You swim the length of the pool one time non-stop, learn the proper way to jump overboard if need be, learn how to load people who are floating in the water into the liferaft, and learn to flip an upside-down raft. Loading people in is pretty easy with the technique they teach you but if you get a REALLY big person, it can be a little harder. Flipping the raft was easy for us men and for most of the women except for the smaller petite ones who were lacking with the leverage. Relax because it actually was a lot of fun!
The Firefighting physical part was also pretty easy and loads of fun. The hose is pretty strong so make sure you and your partner have a firm grip with firm footing and you'll be fine. You'll have a blast so don't psyche yourself out before you get there! Once you're doing it, you'll love it.