Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Default International Host @ NCL

Goodevening people,

Just got hired by NCL for the position of International Host. First time in the cruise industry so very excited and curious to find out as much about it as possible before I start in January. Even though I have been enjoying reading through this message board, I haven't really found any information or experiences on this particular job...

Anyone able or willing to help me on the topic?

Thanks
Sofie
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Passenger

Hi Sofie,
You will love this job. The last cruiseline I worked for this position was known as the International Ambassedor which I guess is propebly the same position.You will have officer status,your own cabins but I guess you already know that.You must speak quite a few languages.Basicaly you take care of all the international guest onboard and strangley enough even the ones who you don't even speak their language.You will be responsible for translating the ships onboard new paper mainly in about four different languages. you get to translate the captains anouncements when needed.I could go on and on.Basically it's an interesting job and you will love it.

Good Luck
Joe
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Passenger

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your reply... now at NCL I dont think ill get officer status or my own cabin, at least that wasnt told me... I was told max one roommate and this being a good start position to get oriented and figure out in which department I want to move up. After reading some of the comments, I am not too sure whether to believe it, but I guess I'll see that when on board.

Got the languages, the drive and the hands on mentality, so im hoping it will be enough to get my own cabin some day ;~)

Ill let you know!!

Greets
Sofie
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to polson
Default NCL

Hi,

A good friend of mine is an international hostess for NCL and she seems to like it a lot. She has a lot of fun and gets to meet a lot of great people.

P
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Sofie,
Unfortunately you won't get officer status, but you will be a part of the rest of the cruise staff with cruise staff duties besides your international duties such as giving announcements in spanish (and any other language you know) pay special attention to international guests and so on.

I have known a few international hostesses and I think all of them really enjoyed their job.

From that position you can get promoted to Assistant Cruise director and then to Cruise director. Good luck to you.
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Passenger

I want to also be an international host. I found the job listing after I was given my offer. The office has informed me I would further delay my training if I reapplied for the IH position. I am scheduled to go to training in a week and will try to get more info on the position or possibility to transfer then...
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Passenger

I was hired for the teppanyaki chef position. It pays only 8.00 an hour but I've been told the sushi/teppanyaki restaurant is one of the most expensive and you make your money in tips. I am fluent in Japanese and when I saw the international host/hostess position I thought it would be lots of fun and I'd have access to the passenger areas.

What pay did NCLA quote for the international host/ess position?

Granted the Japanese are a hit/miss when it comes to tipping- I don't know what to do... HELP with more info on the positions and pay...any experience?
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Hey Woodenleg,

Pay for international host is somewhere between 1800 and 2400, not really a big WOW-factor to it, but to me money never has been the biggest motivator in work, as long as the job is interesting and I can learn from what I do, but of course, everyone has his/her own motivations for work!

Thanks for all your reactions, it's nice to know the experiences are overall good and it only helps me to look forward to it, instead of being scared of living the horror stories ;~)

Nighty night!
Sofie
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Passenger

From what i understand as international hostess your base salary is 1750 and you do need at least 4 languages. If you don´t have 4 then you are not an international hostess, just a hostess (or a spanish hostess, french hostess, etc) and the salary does go down a bit.

I believe you also get tips so it´s not so bad.ç

Congrats on your hiring!!

What ship are you joining? I will be on The Jewel.
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Hi Seastar,

Dont know which boat yet, and im dying to find out.... I do speak the four languages (french, Spanish, English, German)+ Dutch so yeah... international host ;~)

Have you worked with NCL before or did you just get hired??

Greets
Sofie
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Passenger

I should have clarified...I would like to transfer to the Japanese Guest Coordinator position, Not the international host position. It would be great speaking four languages but I can only manage fluent English, Japanese & advanced Korean. During my tenure as a flight attendant- I went out of my way to become language qualified in order to get the better paying and less stressful international trips...it worked.

Does anyone know if there are language incentive positions onboard where you are paid slightly more due to your communication skills?
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Passenger

natrlb, I have been hired before by NCL. This will be my 2nd contract =)