CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crewmembers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/)
-   -   NCL drug screening (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/324187-ncl-drug-screening.html)

curlykath December 1st, 2006 10:43 PM

NCL drug screening

hi,

soon i will be going to maryland for training at the piney point facility before going on to work for norwegian in hawaii.

does anyone know if they conduct a drug screening at piney point (or while on the ship in hawaii)?

thanks!

Arion December 2nd, 2006 11:06 AM

Re: NCL drug screening

Could this be paraphrased as "Would there be a problem with me going to train/work on a cruise ship with unprescribed mind-altering drugs in my bloodstream?"

If so then the answer is probably yes.

If not, then why do you want to know?

MrMate December 2nd, 2006 05:55 PM

When I was in NCL I always took a drug test together with my medical. In addition unannounced drugtests onboard are very common.

KLB December 4th, 2006 06:54 PM

My son spent 5 weeks at PP (waiting for his MMD card the last 2 weeks) and now he is on the Pride of Aloha. He has not yet had a drug test but says they are totally random. He knows some people that have been tested 2 weeks in a row and others like himself that haven't had one yet. He also knows people that have gotten sent home so they take their drug-free policy seriously.

MrMate December 4th, 2006 07:03 PM

ANd thank god for that! They are serious with the alcohol policy as well and I have seen several gotten fired because of that.

natrlb December 5th, 2006 07:38 PM

Well, not that I am a heavy drinker, but still I am interested... what exactly is the alcohol policy at NCL? Limited to a certain amount of drinks per evening or do people get to take their own responsibility as long as they show up fresh and sober on the job the next morning?

Greetz
Sofie

MrMate December 5th, 2006 07:42 PM

There is a zero tolerance policy towards watchkeeping personell and senior management (Captain, Staff Captain, Ch Eng, Jr Chief Eng and Hotel Director)

For other crew off duty there is a limit of 0.02 (which is practically zero) When I was in NCL this policy were thoroughly followed up with regularly testing. It's been 4 years since I left, so I don't know if it has become more relaxed or what.

natrlb December 5th, 2006 07:46 PM

hehe, thanks MRmate... so at all times, either on or off duty, you gotta be able to drive a car??? That the general idea? Not too bad I guess, at least it prevents people from getting either annoying, or alcoholics on board ;)

MrMate December 5th, 2006 08:08 PM

Well.. I'm not saying wild parties are non-existing, but everyone are fully aware of the consequenses if busted.

The other reason is that everyone should be able to deal with any emergency at all times.

II guess you figure things out when you get onboard. I hope you'll have a great time. I know I did, and I truly miss those NCL days :wink:

natrlb December 5th, 2006 08:17 PM

Lol. well I would imagine so ;)

Good to hear u had such a great time out there, man!!! Ill keep ya posted :p

MrMate December 5th, 2006 10:40 PM

Thanks! Looking forward to that :D