Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to BabyD
Default Alcohol in the crew bar

Do you have to be 21 to drink Alcohol as the ship is in American hands??

ITs legal to drink in the UK from 18, i'm 19 and have a lovely social life of alcohol since we were all about 16, just wondering if it means none for 8 months!!!

Guess ill be tipsy on one bottle when im back if not
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

If your biggest worries for your coming 8 month contract is wether or not you can drink alcohol, I suggest you reconsider your reasons for joining a cruise ship.

Anyway - providing booze will not be a problem at all - but I'm sincerly pleased that I won't be an officer of your ship since people like you will be a safety hazard.
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Passenger

you have taken my post the wrong way.. and i find quite offensive.

I enjoy a drink every so often, im aware of the use of alcohol testing from the senior staff and the amount we are allowed to drink, trust me ive thought alot about NOT going on the ship, and the "social life" is not one of them..

if you read the first and only question which i asked, is, will i be able to have a drink on board. it is legal in the UK to drink at 18, but i know the US is 21...

Do you have a reply??
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMate
If your biggest worries for your coming 8 month contract is wether or not you can drink alcohol, I suggest you reconsider your reasons for joining a cruise ship.

Anyway - providing booze will not be a problem at all - but I'm sincerly pleased that I won't be an officer of your ship since people like you will be a safety hazard.
Lighten up mate!! Moderate frequent drinking from an early age is a part of life for most Europeans. The legal age is as low as 16 in many European Countries ( altlhough I believe it's 18 in the OP's home country ). I personally drink very little sometimes less than once a month, and of those, I usually only have 2 - 3 pints. I still wouldn't like the idea that I wouldn't be able to drink for 6-10 months at a time.

On a side note, i'm a bit surprised that BabyD managed to get a Cruiseline job at 19 - I thought for anything other than P&O you had to be 21.
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm perfectly aware of the drinking age in Europe as I'm a norwegian myself where the legal age is 18 but most of us start much earlier.

As an officer I have been onboard for months withount a single drop since we had the zero policy, and we often got tested too.

I agree with you that it sounds strange that a 19 year old got hired, however, In NCl we had trainees and apprentices of the age of 17 and up.
Anyway - the least problem onboard a cruise ship is to get a drink if you really want to. But I have seen dusins of irresponsible people getting fired because they do not know how to drink.
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the replys..

I think i was hired more for experience, i dont know how different it is in the US, but i completed high school aged 15 (turned 16 in the summer) did 2 years at college and graduated as a fully qualified beauty therapist aged 17, and had over 4 years combined experience in a salon, spa, retail and sales environment, so i dont know if that contributed to my application or not..

Im not bothered about getting totalled with alcohol for the cruise, just a glass of wine every so often would be nice!
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Passenger

BabyD,
don't you worry at all,Thousands have done what you are going to do and thousands more will follow,working on board ships.You seems quite knowldgeable and I know once you get onboard you will integrate in an be just fine.Carnival Cruise Lines provides that kind of environment for their crewmembers. The drinking policy on Carnival ships are very linient,one just have to be responsible. Some companies like NCL are more strict on the booze and trust me it does'nt help.I've worked in the cruise industry for 6 yrs,that might not sound like alot of yrs but I've seen it all.I've been on ships that went completely dry,I mean no alki what so ever,nothing ,Nada,Zilch. The crew moral and ships rating hit rock bottom and don't forget the revenue.They had to rethink the decision.

I will say once again a drink on the ship is not a bad thing at all,there are sometimes you will need it,like after a very long,long sea day when you come from work, down to your cabin after a nice hot shower you just need that odd glass of wine or two or maybe a Nauty Irishman..my favorite (Baileys and Franjelico)at the crew bar just to unwind before bed and before another long sea day....OH YES there are sometimes two sea days in a row on certain cruises. It just have to be done sensebly.

I wish you lots of fun .I know you will have, remember you are joining the Funships of Carnival Cruise Lines.Just hang loose I did;and I never reret it to this day.

happy sailing
Joe
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

This thread seems to have deviated from "underage" drinking on a cruise ship, to officer drinking on a cruise ship.

I can understand not wanting deck/engine officers drunk, but I can't see a problem with the gift shop manager ( with officer status ), having a glass of wine with his dinner.

I'm not sure about whether or not 19 is underage to get alcohol ( above board - not getting it sneaked to you in the quiet ) - I thought it was underage to work on a cruiseship for anyone other than P&O.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion
This thread seems to have deviated from "underage" drinking on a cruise ship, to officer drinking on a cruise ship.

I can understand not wanting deck/engine officers drunk, but I can't see a problem with the gift shop manager ( with officer status ), having a glass of wine with his dinner.

I'm not sure about whether or not 19 is underage to get alcohol ( above board - not getting it sneaked to you in the quiet ) - I thought it was underage to work on a cruiseship for anyone other than P&O.
So when the deck/engine officers drink it's to become drunk, and when a gift shop manager drinks it's just to have a glass of wine along with the dinner? Correct me if any statistics shows I'm wrong, but my experience is the complete opposite.

If the gift shop manager has "officer status" - he/she should act like one and not using that status whenever it's convenient. Having officer status means mostly that one has safety duties with responsibility and as you all know, a safety hazard can occur when you least expect it.

I've seen enough people onboard thinking thay are officers who is totally blank when it comes to safety issues and don't even know the locations of the muster stations. (But that topic is thoroughly disussed in another thread )
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMate
Quote:

So when the deck/engine officers drink it's to become drunk, and when a gift shop manager drinks it's just to have a glass of wine along with the dinner? Correct me if any statistics shows I'm wrong, but my experience is the complete opposite.
You got me all wrong dude - I wouldn't mind the giftshop manager being slightly tipsy after-hours, but I would mind the people responsable for the operation and safety of the ship to have a few.

Quote:
If the gift shop manager has "officer status" - he/she should act like one and not using that status whenever it's convenient. Having officer status means mostly that one has safety duties with responsibility and as you all know, a safety hazard can occur when you least expect it.

I've seen enough people onboard thinking thay are officers who is totally blank when it comes to safety issues and don't even know the locations of the muster stations. (But that topic is thoroughly disussed in another thread )
Shouldn't you as Safety Officer be training them on these issues?

Seriously though, if you had the choice between a drunk giftshop manager, and a drunk Bridge Officer, which would you choose?
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Now I know why I never even thought of applying to NCL.Out of the topic but I just thought I'd bring it up.
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
You got me all wrong dude - I wouldn't mind the giftshop manager being slightly tipsy after-hours, but I would mind the people responsable for the operation and safety of the ship to have a few.
The point is that it seems a lot harder for gift managers, cruise directors and other with officer status to adopt the strict alcohol rules than it does for deck and engine officers.

Quote:
Shouldn't you as Safety Officer be training them on these issues?
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but it is during drills, after months of training (and you have repeated and repeated everything) you discover things like that.

Quote:
Seriously though, if you had the choice between a drunk giftshop manager, and a drunk Bridge Officer, which would you choose?
On this point I guess you're right
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to faye louise

hi i worked for ncl when i was 19 when i first joined i wasnt to sure about alcohol?but then i realised the situation no i wasnt allowed to buy alcohol!!!aahh can you imagine!living in a busy city in england with lots of night life it was nothin unsual for me and my mates to go out on the shant every weekend. but you know what it was the least of my worries to start off with. the first 2 months i didnt really drink unless i went out in port in europe but then once i setled into ship life, got talkin to so many crew i had alchocol bought for me almost every night for the rest of my contract but if i couldnt get it, there is alwasy the ports to go out and have a beer or 2
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As most ships are staffed by Europeans, I have never heard of a dry ship. You learn something new every day. When I worked for NCL in 1993 you could buy Jamaican Red Stripe beer in the crew store for $3.50 a six-pack.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

There's no such thing as a dry ship. But NCL has stricter alcohol rules than others. Not all of the crew choose to follow these rules, but at the same time they are totally aware that they will be fired if an acohol test occurs.
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Beginner

That's of course why we work for RCCL instead!!!!!!!
Not for heavy drinking but to be allowed to drink a beer or two in the evening without feeling like a criminal.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Beginner

Carnival Cruise Lines info
1) No age to drink in crew bar (if you work on the ship you are at least 18 and let me clearify the age to work for Carnival once and for all.. 18 years of age NOT 21.)

2) Beer= $1 to $1.50 depending on the beern (Beers include cours light, miller light, stella artois, guiness, boddingtons, budweiser, bud light, Le Batt Blue)

3) Spirits= $1.50 to $1.75 preimum ( greay goose, kettle one, etc)

4) The bar also has snaks such as lays patto chips and noodles

5) 1 liter of Water is $1 a Gallon of water is $1.75

Anyother questions feel free to ask
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

This makes me think of a recent cruise I was on: We were having dinner in Portofinos (RCI) ... when in comes about 5 Captains of the ship(wearing uniforms), they sit down, order and drink about 8 bottles of wine through out dinner!!! I could only hope and pray there were more captains driving the ship!!!! I was only hoping the ship was not on cruise control and here they are at dinner drunk off wine!!

To the above uptight people complaining about an innocent 19 year old drinking on board- get over it! These people work night and day for an entire 6 month contract without a single day, weekend or Holiday off!! The ship is their work AND THEIR HOME! They dont get to drive home and have a drink after work as you would... they get to walk to the crew deck and are trapped there until their next shift, unable to even go to guest areas. They deserve a life.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rights
when in comes about 5 Captains of the ship(wearing uniforms), they sit down, order and drink about 8 bottles of wine through out dinner!!! I could only hope and pray there were more captains driving the ship!!!!
I know I could never have a serious discussion using an expression like that.

I bet you are one of those individuals that is shouting "HEY who's driving the boat" every time you see an officer in public areas.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

excuse me?? what is your problem, you seem to be giving every one grief. Get over your sarcastic self... clearly i was laughing and joking.

And yes when you see FIVE captains in uniform polishing off at least two bottles each, you sit back and wonder ... hhhhmmmmm

get off your high horse.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
And yes when you see FIVE captains in uniform polishing off at least two bottles each, you sit back and wonder ... hhhhmmmmm

How many "captains" do you think is on a ship??
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

You mean, how many captains do I think ARE on a ship?? Im not sure, why dont you tell me.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
You mean, how many captains do I think ARE on a ship?? Im not sure, why dont you tell me.
Since you start correcting my gramatics, I guess you're running out of arguments? Anyway, I guess my english is far better than your norwegian

There is one captain, a few officers and several staff and crew onboard a ship.
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
First Mate

bless her cotton socks ;-)

I can think of 4 captains onboard . . . the Master, the staff captain, the dance captain and the vocal captain

Could be the folks with stripes were hotel officers that wear a similar uniform (the insignia above the stripes tells what department they're in) - also could be electricians, engineers . . . did you look at their nametags to find out for sure?

speaking as a crewmember on RCI ships - I personally DON'T want to go out in passenger areas. Don't like being pestered by the pax asking questions about "how rough" my life is.

"They dont get to drive home and have a drink after work as you would... they get to walk to the crew deck and are trapped there until their next shift, unable to even go to guest areas. They deserve a life."

uhhhh . . . . I guess you've never been in the crew mess, back deck, or crew bar of an RCI ship around midnight when all the waitstaff and barstaff start getting off their shifts . . . waiters not having a drink after work???? . .
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz
uhhhh . . . . I guess you've never been in the crew mess, back deck, or crew bar of an RCI ship around midnight when all the waitstaff and barstaff start getting off their shifts . . . waiters not having a drink after work???? . .
Haha, you said it. according to her it sounds that they're being dragged down to crew deck to get a good lashing
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now thats a party!!! Crew getting down on Liberty ots!!!

Old March 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Yeah - take out party, RCI style. One of my pals was one of the video guys on this (and is in a couple of the snippets - licking, as I recall) And my boy Mehmet (aka DJ Chemical Ali) as the DJ

Still don't like the big ships . . . like the smaller ones with WAY smaller parties!
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to say, the women are much hotter than the men on that ship from the looks of that video! I would most definitely get down with the ladies.....
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
First Mate

does anyone else get the impression that a certain someone has grasped the idea that it doesn't suck to be a cruise ship employee after all ?????
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ok I never said it sucked, if you read my response above I defended the 19 year old who wanted to drink when every one else was bashing her for being irresponsible while "working". I said crew work for 6 months at a time, you cant expect them to be "on the clock" that whole 6 months, they deserve a life!! I know what goes on below decks, I have plenty of inside info.. I just find it unfair that crew are restricted so much above deck. Its not right.. No I dont think you should be getting down with guests in clubs and going back to their cabins, thats obviously wrong as employees, but simply walking about the ship on your off time, maybe lounging at the pool... i see nothing wrong with that and the restrictions shouldnt be so harsh.

I was offered a 1 week nanny job a few years back for RFamily (Rosie Odonnel).. it was a one week job..I was to work 40 hours in childcare and the rest of the time I was to be a guest and ejoy the cruise... I think thats how it should be for all employees... with obvious common sense to be used. whats so wrong with thinking that?