Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Lippa
Default Best position for someone with hotel supervisory experience?

I currently hold the Front Desk Supervisor position at a Marriott Suites hotel. I am looking to make the switch to a cruise job but am unsure of the best position to apply for. I have a degree in hospitality management, have worked for Marriott for about a year and a half, and have four years of prior sales experience. That said, here are my questions:

1. What position can I apply for and realistically expect to be hired? (To narrow the choices, I would like a position similar to my current land job)

2. As someone with the "spirit to serve" and complete job dedication as core values, I expect my associates (and myself) to go above and beyond as a standard. Are there cruise lines that are better suited to perfectionists?

3. I understand cruise lines prefer single people that have few land-based attachments. Since I fall in that catagory, should I reference that in a cover letter, say in an interview, or not say at all?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I also welcome any suggestions you may have on topics I did not ask about
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Passenger

Hi Lippa I'm not really an expert on the Cruise Ship Industry but I would maybe advise that you apply for a Purser Position or Assistant Purser. You can usually get a description of the job requirements etc on most cruise line websites. I'll have a look on some of the sites & copy one in here for you at some point this morning.
I've been hired by Princess in Oct as Gift Shop Staff & I'm just waiting on the date to leave but I did a lot of research into different positions before I applied & that's why I'm giving you an opinion on this!

thanks Linz
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Passenger

This is the job description for Princess Cruises.

FRONT DESK

Junior Assistant Pursers (JAP):

JAPs are involved in the management of the onboard Hotel Department. This position offers excellent career development and promotion opportunities. Successful applicants will have at least two years experience in the hotel/hospitality industry performing junior management duties. Must be computer literate, have experience with large volume cash handling, posses mathematical/analytical skills and excellent customer service skills. Secretarial skills and foreign languages are also preferred.

Hope this helps

Linz
x
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Lippa

The JAP position says it is the equivalent of a receptionist position in a land-based hotel. Would it be possible to get the Purser or Assistant Purser job right off the bat? I don't want to sound petty, but I worked pretty hard to get where I am now. I may not be an executive, but I'm not a receptionist either. Is the only way to get a higher position to start at the JAP and move up?
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Passenger

I understand what your saying but with a lot of Cruise Ship Companies you would have to start at Entry Level & work your way up.

I know the job's we are both doing are very different but even when Shop Managers went for the interview with me they got positions at Entry Level & where advised to work up while on the Ship.

Keep checking on this Thread though & I'm sure more people with more experience than myself on this quesiton might post.

Sorry. Linz
x
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Passenger

Hi Lippi,
I've worked for RCCL as a purser. Basicaly in the cruise industry especailly working in the guest relations division you will most likely start at an entry level especailly if you have'nt worked on ships before. Working in a 5 star hotel is very much defferent than on a cruise ship,the basis is the same but concept is a bit different.

First of all you will have to learn the ship,it policies as to dealing with passengers,ships emergency and safety procedures which is much more complicated and detailed from a land base hotel and also International maritime procedures regarding to your job.In the aspect of Guest relations it's not as quite alot as with an officer on the bridge.And then not forgeting your job itself.

I must say though you can move up very quickly especailly when you have the hotel experience under your belt and you have that specail touch(the one that turn any bad situation into a good one).With your experience as you have mentioned I see no doubt in you reaching Guest Relations Manager on a Royal Caribbean Ship in under three yrs.I've seen it happen to people within a year and a half.

I think you should go for it.RCCL is a good cruiseline to work for in regards to the prospect of advancement.They've got alot of ships out there and they are commisioning bigger and bigger ships.So the demand for employees is at a sky high.

So go for it.

Are you in the uk?I think their Hiring patner is Crown Recruitment.
shipjob@aol.com

You can also call and leave a messege on 014946771252. The agent's name is Wendy Heron.

Good Luck
Joe