Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Default MMD certification for NCLA - Please Help!

Hey I was looking at the MMD Self Test that was sent to me by a recruiter for NCLA and it asked if I had ever been a user/or addicted to any dangerous drugs. I was wondering how to answer this because it looks like the answer might determine whether or not you can succeed in getting the MMD certification. I did do drugs a while ago (five years ago) in high school and ended up going to a rehab, it was all self imposed though and didn't involve any law enforcement and I haven't done them since. I was wondering whether I should answer the question "yes" and hope that they ask me about it so that I can explain or whether I should answer "no" and hope that they don't somehow find out about it. Can anyone give me some advice?
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

The best thing is to be completely honest with it and - if possible add a further explanation on why you answered "yes".
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Passenger

mark "NO" if no law enforcement agencies were involved...mark "YES" and provide successful completion of rehab...take the original documents to your training...

Also, a major major advantage is if you apply for your MMD on your own...and NOT let NCLA be your representative with the government agencies....this is the best best advice I can give to any new recruit.

It will only take 2 weeks to apply and receive an MMD if you do it direct...but if NCLA applies on your behalf...you loose any control over the process and it can take up to two months to process...
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Leah

what is MMD?
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Its required to work on US Flagged ships one being NCLA ships - you can find out about it on their website ncl.com under "join our team" or at the official website www.uscg.mil/stcw.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Passenger

There are people at the training center who have been there for months. All waiting for their MMD's. There is no certainty the MMD will be approved. All they can do is wait. These people were told training was only three weeks...without the MMD these good folks wait, wait and wait. All the while working for NCLA for $50 per week at the training facility. Yes, they graduated from training but NCLA policy states they are still trainees until they report to the ship. These people have families, mortgages, rent, bills etc. $50 a week!!

Pay the money and apply for the MMD on your own...before you accept a training date.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Beginner

I asked them if I should do that and my recruiter said that i will or must get it through the company. Do you think it really matters, is there some reason that I wouldn't be able to from NCLA's point of view?
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Passenger

My son was at Piney Point for 5 weeks - it took 2 extra weeks for his MMD to come. He said it is luck of the draw when the MMDs come - somewhat depends on where they send the application. Some people had theirs by the time the 3 week training was up and others took longer although not usually more than 5-6 weeks at the most. Some people that are waiting get sent to Hawaii to 'ship chase' which mean they stay in a hotel in either Honolulu, Maui, or Kauai and get on the "Pride" ships when they are in port, work and then get off. The rest of the time they enjoy the island. Lately since most "Pride" ships are fully staffed others got sent home to wait for a call that their MMD had come.
The cost of getting an MMD and training through NCLA is around $2500 so better to have them pay!
BTW, my son is on the POAloha and really enjoys his job as a bell person.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Passenger

MMD card and the training are two different things...the mmd is the document that qualifies you to work on US flagged ships. The training is required but many people who have their MMD prior to joining the company do NOT have to pay a $2500 extra training fee. The MMD costs around $240. NCLA will NOT charge you extra to go through the training program. Bring your own MMD and when training is over between 2~4 weeks you will get paid your hourly wage and NOT the $50 NCLA pays. Plus you will mot likely be going to Hawaii the next day after training...and Not have to wait around..

I do think NCLA is a young company still working out a few kinks...but after things smooth out....I have a feeling it will become a true winner. Great product, Great market...just a few HR issues
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Passenger

From personal experience...tell the truth if you think there is any way they could find out.

The Coast Guard is very serious! I have never had a drug problem but I did have a misdemeanor arrest! When asked if I had ever been convicted, I wrote "NO". As the charges were pending....I didn't think anything of a candyarse misdemeanor. It took me 3 years to get my MMD! The lady suspended me for 3 years because I didn't write that I was involved in a pending case even though that's not what the question asked!!!

The problem is, I've heard that if you answer "YES" on that particular question, you might be excluding yourself from ever visiting or working in Canada!

Good luck and if they give you any static, go to a different office! EVEN FOR PERFECT PEOPLE, THE APPLICATION PROCESS NOW TAKES ABOUT 6 WEEKS because of the the new TWIC program!!! Don't listen to anyone that tells you it's two weeks! Maybe, if you worked for the CCG or the Navy you could get it in two weeks but, otherwise, don't hold your breath and $50 a week is better than $0 per week not to mention training that could lead to better endorsements as well as the all you can eat buffet and plush living conditions!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Beginner

If you are clean you have never been arrested convicted I recommend NO.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to inap66

when I talked to the recruiter, cause I was looking to the card myself too. She said the cost is about $600.00 for ALL of the ones we need. I understood we need the employer on it as well so the know where the MMD card will be used.
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Interesting thread. I knew there was certification and training involved with NCL-AMERICA but I did not know how extensive it was.

Personally, I agree with randyat1001, if you are clean now and were never convicted then I would say no. They have no record of it and no way to find out. It is like any job where you must have a background check.

Of course, honesty is the best policy, but in cases like this, do you believe Clinton didn't inhale? Even our current President admits to a substance abuse problem. In other words, as long as you don't have a current problem you are fully qualified - no need to jeopardize that.

But, like another said, if there is any police record at all, or if you have smoked marijuana in the last 6 months (because it will stay in your system that long) you are better off telling the truth. It isn't your past drug use that would concern them, it is your propensity to lie about a criminal record.

Reminds me of when I needed to apply for a liquor license. We got the same advice - just don't lie about any police records and you will get approved.