Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Passenger

Default Help with packing!!!

Hi guys had a wee trial run with my packing last night leaving to work with Princess next Friday!
My case weighs a ton!!!! hot is it possible to know what to take & what not to??? if anyone can give me any ideas or tips then that would be super smashing great!

Thanks Linz
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pack as little as you can!
Remember you're going to be there many months and then probably do a little shopping. I don't know your position onboard but in most cases the ship provides working clothes unless you are in the entertainment biz and need a lot of formal clothes.

Bring clothes to last for one week, and then do laundry.
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Passenger

Oh thanks very much!!!

God it's going to be hard choosing what to take!
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to BabyD

Nice advice MrMate - ive got to pack this weekend as i leave next weekend!! ARRRHHH!!!!! Too much clothes, too little space!
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why not look at this as one of the biggest adventures of your lives, and go with your papers, and a change of socks/underwear.

I'm sure you'll soon find an opportunity to go shopping, after you've boarded ship, and have a better idea of what you want, and don't want to have with you on the ship.
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
First Mate

sounds like 'guy' advice and there's a couple of girls (namely a shoppie and a spa chick) who can't go without packing A LOT!

It's taken me five years to get packing down to a science - so here's my tips

For your first contract - take one large suitcase, one big carry-on. Make sure you can handle moving/carrying both by yourself easily, as YOU are going to be dragging them up and down the gangway yourself (or between customs at the airport)

Start by piling everthing you use in the course of a day as far as toiletries/cosmetics/hair - just like you're going to work. Don't forget shaving, washing your hair, etc. Then add in anthing different you'd do for a nice night out at a night club or dinner. If you're concerned about weight, take only what will last for 2-3 weeks, as you'll be able to buy more.

Clothes, this will be hard! Remember you'll be wearing a uniform most of the time. Take at least 2 weeks of underthings. At the most two outfits each of going out in a port (casual) and formal. Formal - one simple dress/shoes you can work in (not to strappy or revealing) and another your choice. Maybe one more that you can do 'dirtier' work in (unpacking boxes, cleaning). AND THAT'S IT. Your time on a ship will be mostly working, then going into crew areas to eat, or relax at the crewbar or internet cafe, or going 'out' into pax area. You don't need to bring a lot of extra clothes. Don't pack anything extra, but have it maybe boxed or in a pile that you can tell a friend or relative to 'send me that . . . '

As far as anthing else - cell phone (you can always get a 'pay as you go' phone in your home port and get phone cards), MP3 player. Laptop if you have one. Very important are photos or anything else that will remind you of home (family, friends, pets)

Anything else you can buy in a port. Really! You're probably going to be buying different clothes anyway and you can buy another suitcase when you're out there also. You're going to have a really, really small closet and maybe 2 drawers to put your things into, so try not to bring a lot.

One of the best things I got was one of those roll out/hang up cosmetic organizers, and a soft make up case. Everything 'girly' I need goes in those two items. If it doesn't fit, something else has to go or it doesn't go.

When you do your final pack, make sure that 4-5 days worth of undies/plain clothes are in your carry on as the airlines have been losing a lot of luggage lately. Check what the current restrictions are on liquids and make up so you're legal and pack everything else in your checked luggage.

hoping this helps a little. After all this time, I still pack things I don't use or don't wear.

good luck!!!!
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Passenger

Wow!!! SZ - really really informative piece of info!! Thanks sooooo much!

Obviously swimwear too?

Are you working on a ship? Do i REALLY need formal dresses? (ill be on carnival fantasy) orcan i just take a nice few smart dresses with me?

Great idea about cosmetics etc!!!

Post is definately saved!!
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Hi D

YES! you'll need formal. I don't work for Carnival, but just knowing on my line what Steiners wear . . . If you want to 'go out' on formal nights, you HAVE to be in dress code. Bring just one if you don't already have something (and you can pick something else up when you get there). It doesn't need to be real fancy - go simple and dress it up with costume jewelry. Smart dresses really won't work in a club atmostphere. I have a simple black dress with thin straps and a wrap. Wear a sparkly necklace and my hair up and there you are (though my job, I can get away with a nice suit, sparkly top and sensible shoes as I'm backstage theater)

I do work on ships (you can see from my sig) - but am home on vacation right now

Swimwear - yes . . if you plan on going to the beach ;-). I live in Florida, so beaches are that important to me in ports . . . I'm all about lunch and getting away from touristy areas!

BTW - Steiner's are very popular onboard - be prepared to be hit on almost immediately! and yes, you will be wearing that formal outfit!!

8)
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
First Mate

babyD

Just looked up your ship!!!!!

I just got off of a ship that was docked next to yours in your home port!!!

Your are SO going to love the run - It's all about the party!!! But I hope the spa/salon does well . . I think they do as you have short runs.

New Orleans is a fabulous turnaround port! Just learn where the good stores are, and you're a short walk away from the French Quarter. And your other port is basically Cozumel. Food and drink and beach!

You'll be fine!!!!
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Passenger

Oh wow!!

Thanks again for replying, ive heard from a few people about the "Steiners" reputation for liking a party but still am curious!!

I was looking forward to doing the Bahamas run, but the ship changed now to Cozumel lol..

Im in the UK Myself, so beaches or even the deck will be lovely on a day off lol!

Thanks for the info on the dress, i have 2 nice black dresses that are simple, but smart and can be done up with accessories, i meant ballgown style, i dont wanna take and waste space!! lol..

Any gossip or info you can give me on the Steiners would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

Donna xx
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:00 AM
Passenger

Great advice on packing cheers people!!!

not much more to ask now but just want to say thanks for all the advice I've had from these boards.

See ya Linz
x
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz
sounds like 'guy' advice
Yep Definately guilty of being a 'guy'.
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Leah

thanks for tips from someone who will need it soon , as soon as i get my leave date !
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Leah

This is defiantely helping me I am leaving for RCCL Explorer of the Seas 02/25/2007 woot woot ---- oh the packing continues